Author Reply
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
As someone who is soon to become the surprised new owner of a machine, I'm wondering what the general opinion is of it three or four months after launch. Not necessarily talking about people's opinion on the future release list, I can see the relative strengths and weaknesses of that for myself, but the actual machine - How good is the controller? How good is the online aspect? Are there any games that you still play? That kind of thing.
#1 at 15:22:16 - 06/04/2007
SuperZ
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:4(6%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's strange - I've had one since launch and I've recently been going through a "sell it now" phase...but every time I play on it I like it more. I think it's taken me longer than expected to adjust to it - the games may graphically look sub-par, but there's something about the control that really draws you in.

Kororinpa is a great example - a fairly run-of-the-mill game that has been made essential by controls that make you feel you are directly moving the game world. Excite Truck is brilliant, SSX is especially hard to get to grips with but gives you more the more you put into it, and Godfather is currently keeping me very entertained.

And I think that's the key - whereas stuff on my old 360 looked pretty and stimulated my killing/speeding/graphic whore instinct, Wii games entertain me more than anything else. So, if you're happy to put aside the slight drought of promised AAA titles, the Wii will give you more pure gaming fun than you've probably had in a while.
#2 at 15:31:41 - 06/04/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Excellent fun, but yet to dispel all my doubts about the quality of motion sensing it can do.

I find it a great companion to the rather serious games of the 360 and the PS3, and fun to play with anyone.

The online features that are there are quite fun, I check the voting channel with my wife daily. Getting Mii's of all my mates back in Brighton and celeb's is a laugh, but the Wii doesn't really feel connected to a community.

The virtual console has a load of good games I haven't played before, if you're getting a Japanese one grab the Mario Piccross, it's fab.

#3 at 15:36:12 - 06/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well, that's two kinds of replies that I was hoping to read. I'm hoping for it to be a bit of a change from the norm and to really contrast with the other consoles. As much as it looks like it will obviously do so, I had my worries that the games would feel fairly similar at the end of the day, despite the motion sensitive controller.

I am getting a Japanese one, Trip, and a big part of that was the great selection of games on the VC - I'll definitely check out Mario Picross.
#4 at 17:05:05 - 06/04/2007
CrispyXUK
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:8(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I think its brilliant and I do love it, but the sun is coming which means no games for a while, which is a shame as there aren't many releases I'm interested in at the moment. I'm sure they'll turn up eventually.
#5 at 17:58:22 - 06/04/2007
Dougs
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:27(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It suits me just fine - it is much more of a casual/social gamer's console at the moment. I can dip in for an hour or so and be thoroughly entertained, and also like introducing new people to it. Given that I don't have a huge amount of time for gaming these days, it's perfect
#6 at 18:14:49 - 06/04/2007
djchump
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
Star Rating
ilmaestro said:Well, that's two kinds of replies that I was hoping to read. I'm hoping for it to be a bit of a change from the norm and to really contrast with the other consoles. As much as it looks like it will obviously do so, I had my worries that the games would feel fairly similar at the end of the day, despite the motion sensitive controller.

I am getting a Japanese one, Trip, and a big part of that was the great selection of games on the VC - I'll definitely check out Mario Picross.

BTW - in case you didn't know, there's a Picross for DS and it's great ;-)
#7 at 20:24:43 - 06/04/2007
Carlo
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:39(4%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I just bought SSX Blur, having recently finished kororinpa.

There's not a HUGE selection of games. But there is plenty for me.

There's also a lot of games coming out that (to me) are simply 'must haves'.

After 3 or 4 months, as a virtual complete newcomer to Nintendo consoles (It's my first console; but I owned a DS and briefly a GBA), I have to say I wished I'd got a Nintendo console much earlier.
#8 at 01:16:50 - 07/04/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
Nicely said Carlo. I just wish Metroid and Mario were closer than they are.
#9 at 02:00:47 - 07/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
djchump said:
ilmaestro said:Well, that's two kinds of replies that I was hoping to read. I'm hoping for it to be a bit of a change from the norm and to really contrast with the other consoles. As much as it looks like it will obviously do so, I had my worries that the games would feel fairly similar at the end of the day, despite the motion sensitive controller.

BTW - in case you didn't know, there's a Picross for DS and it's great ;-)

I try not to buy DS games in case I like them. Ruins my image.

/realizes point of thread

Shit.
#10 at 14:06:24 - 07/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Dougs said:It suits me just fine - it is much more of a casual/social gamer's console at the moment. I can dip in for an hour or so and be thoroughly entertained, and also like introducing new people to it. Given that I don't have a huge amount of time for gaming these days, it's perfect

That's quite close to what I'm looking for, as I go through periods where I'm busy with work when I don't have time to settle down for a massive session or to get started on a very involving RPG or something.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
#11 at 14:08:57 - 07/04/2007
Feanor
Flag
Thread Kills:8(5%)
Star Rating
We might be getting a Wii today. We already have the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector, and I really like the idea of being able to look at the internet on the TV.

And I think I'll have to play RE 4 and RE:UC on the Wii based on what I've seen about them this week.
#12 at 20:30:00 - 07/04/2007
djchump
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
Star Rating
ilmaestro said:
Dougs said:It suits me just fine - it is much more of a casual/social gamer's console at the moment. I can dip in for an hour or so and be thoroughly entertained, and also like introducing new people to it. Given that I don't have a huge amount of time for gaming these days, it's perfect

That's quite close to what I'm looking for, as I go through periods where I'm busy with work when I don't have time to settle down for a massive session or to get started on a very involving RPG or something.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

FWIW, I've found I've mostly settled on puzzle games for the DS at the moment. I still love a good strategy game like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem, but the DS just has some really addictive puzzle games that are the perfect time-sink for 15 minutes here and there.
Brain Training - best Sudoku I've seen, all the other sudoku are shite.
Picross - :-D
Puzzle Quest - so what's more addictive than puzzles? I know, RPG puzzles where numbers get bigger! :-)
Slitherlink - yeah it's good. Maybe not 10/10 good, but certainly a very worthy puzzle game.

There are a few "spot the difference" games as well which are pretty fun and have some really very good artwork!
#13 at 23:30:28 - 07/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've seen some of the zany spot the difference ones, almost been tempted but the fact that I never really play on the DS (could be changing as I've got into Prof. Layton quite a bit) always held me back.
#14 at 00:13:51 - 08/04/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Considering I have no attention span, the Wii is pretty good for me - games like Excite Truck and Warioware mean I can dip in for just a few minutes.

Zelda is great but I have to make an effort to bother playing it.

The graphics don't bother me; I knew what they would be like (although there are a lot of PS2/PSP type of lazy ports when it is capable of much more). When I want something shiny I just go to the 360 or PC.
#15 at 13:47:59 - 08/04/2007
Teeth
Flag
Comments:4
Thread Kills:14(5%)
Star Rating
At the moment, the Wii is doing two things for me:

1. Making me read the news
2. Making me brush my teeth for the recommended minimum duration

I combine these two things in the morning and evening and it is goode.
#16 at 16:17:44 - 08/04/2007
Feanor
Flag
Star Rating
The Wii was sold out at Best Buy, Gamespot and Toys R Us, and we didn't want one badly enough to try looking at all the other electronics stores.

Toys R Us had Tomb Raider Legend (Xbox) for $10, though. :)
#17 at 18:52:51 - 08/04/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Still none to be had anywhere at retail. I had a chat with a few people when I was doing the PS3 rounds and it seems they just get the odd one or two once in a blue moon. Ninty must really be sore that they can't manufacture 'em quicker, I mean the potential customer base would be double what it is now if they could actually provide the fucking things.

Peej
#18 at 19:11:14 - 08/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Teeth said:At the moment, the Wii is doing two things for me:

1. Making me read the news
2. Making me brush my teeth for the recommended minimum duration

I combine these two things in the morning and evening and it is goode.

I'm trying real hard, but I just can't work out the brushing teeth comment...

peej: absolutely, it'd been some time since the thing was released, I can't believe that they haven't been able to ramp up production of a machine that hardly has cutting edge silicon (although I wouldn't like to run my finger along it) inside. Doesn't help anybody trying to gauge exactly how popular an option the Wii will be, either.
#19 at 19:02:46 - 09/04/2007
morriss
Flag
Comments:100
Thread Kills:26(3%)
AATG Pts:135
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Sold for a PS3.
#20 at 19:27:34 - 09/04/2007
Feanor
Flag
Star Rating
At least Nintendo seem to have finally resolved the DS Lite shortage there was here over the Christmas/New Year period.
#21 at 19:27:54 - 09/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
morriss said:Sold for a PS3.

:)
#22 at 20:46:22 - 09/04/2007
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I still love my Wii, even though I haven't played it in a couple of months now (to be fair, my gaming time in that period has been entirely swallowed by FFXII). I've had enough gaming fun out of it to think it was worth picking up at launch, and I know that later in the year there's at least two games on it that are absolutely guaranteed to be classics (Metroid and Mario).

Plus without my Wii I'd've never had the entertainment value of seeing my whole family mincing around our living room at Christmas playing Wii Tennis. :)

Definitely try an evening of beer and Wii Sports with mates at some point too; the boxing's hilarious when everyone's a bit on the tipsy side.
#23 at 20:51:44 - 09/04/2007
JediMasterMalik
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:3(5%)
Star Rating
Looking from a buyers perspective (i.e.e someone who doesn't actually have one), it seems alot more friendly to the handheld crowd as opposed to the home console crowd. Handheld games are supposed to be quick to play and easy to put down, which seems to be the comments coming from many owners. It's pretty much what has plagued the PSP for so long, but the DS has done so well.

I can't help but shake the feeling that Ninty are trying to sell us a handheld philosophy on a home console. Maybe it's just me.

/shrugs
#24 at 02:40:05 - 10/04/2007
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I LOVE it.
I don't play it that much but to be honest, I don't play any console much. I'm a PC gamer really.

Still, the Wii is great fun and I do enjoy it when I have a bash at it. I mostly play it with other people though. Non-gamers at that.
:-)
#25 at 11:13:39 - 10/04/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Ditto.

Love mine, wouldn't get rid of it. Do agree that it's going to die a horrible death quicker than it deserves to mostly based on some horrible conversions from the PS2, and the movement detection stuff not being all that...but it's still a lovely machine

Peej
#26 at 12:34:57 - 10/04/2007
Dougs
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:27(4%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:and the movement detection stuff not being all that...but it's still a lovely machine

Peej

That all comes back to what people want or expect though, and I think there are 2 camps. The hard-core gamers that want full recognition etc, and the more casual gamer (like me) that is happy for there to be some kind of flexibility, as long as it feels like you're having an impact (like gesture recognition).

I still love it. Suits my gaming needs perfectly.
#27 at 13:48:39 - 10/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:and the movement detection stuff not being all that

Hmm, in terms of the actual quality of the hardware, or just the implementation in the games?
#28 at 15:28:32 - 10/04/2007
kalel
Flag
Comments:17
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I 70% regret buying my Wii. Iím still sure enough that Metroid and Mario will make it worth having and so havenít sold it, but after a couple of weekends of initial fun and the 40 hours it took me to clock Zelda I havenít turned it on.
#29 at 16:12:30 - 10/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I know this may have an obvious answer, but would you be buying games for it if they were being released? Or would you always think 'well, maybe I'll get a 360/DS/PS3 game instead'?
#30 at 16:19:05 - 10/04/2007

home