Author Reply
Legion
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
We've got work to do on one Sunday in May. It's about two hours work. This isn't that regular, 4 times a year tops.

The problem is, even though it's only two hours work it pretty much takes up my whole Sunday because of when it takes place. I also live quite far from work, so I'll lose an additional 2 hours getting to work and back, not to mention the fuel costs.

Am I in the right to request that my travel time and cost be paid for? I'm in two minds, part of me is pissed off because I'm getting dragged in, and that it's going to take up at least 4 hours of my Sunday and I'll only get paid for two. Plus it'll cost me over a tenner anyway to get to work and back, so by rights I should be compensated for that.

On the other hand, I chose not to live near work, so why should work have to pay to get me in from 35 miles away?

I can't decide what to do about it. It pisses me off that I'll have to give up an entire sunday for two hours pay, but I don't know how right I would be to fight to have my travel funded.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
#1 at 13:50:52 - 12/04/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
How many hours are you contracted for? If it's over what you are then tell them you want double time or your travelling paid.

I'd ask for petrol money at the very least.

Working on Sundays FTL.
#2 at 13:54:50 - 12/04/2007
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
If you are travelling to a place that is not your place of work I think you are entitled to charge for expenses.

Put it this way. You're manager probably would (if they don't have it paid for already).
#3 at 13:58:18 - 12/04/2007
Legion
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Well I'm travelling to my usual place of work, it's just that it's not exactly local (I have to cross the pennines to get there). Now that's my fault for not wanting to live in Yorkshire, and I made that decision based on getting to work and back Mon-Fri (contracted to do 35 hours). I'm not overly keen on doing this on a Sunday because whilst my manager (who also has to come in) can just pop in (he's 5 minutes away) and pop home again, it'll right off my Sunday.

He won't claim for fuel or travel time as he can walk to work he's that close, so will expect everyone else to go by his standard.

I'm obviously not that keen on giving up my Sunday for no good reason (he'll I have to work 5 days out of 7 already, which is rude), there's no chance I'm having just one day off that week.

I think I'll put my "dilema" to him politely and let him decide whether to pay me or to not ask me to come in.

/crosses fingers
#4 at 14:16:40 - 12/04/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Don't get your hopes up.

This lot offer us a day off in lieu if we work weekends...

That's it though and it's an unofficial one. No travel expenses, no inconvenience compensation, nothing. At least it means that you can shit in your boss's desk without fear of being interrupted as the likelihood is he won't be in at weekends at all, ever.

Peej
#5 at 14:18:26 - 12/04/2007
kalel
Flag
Comments:17
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Hmm. Iíd say youíre probably entitled to it, but I generally do work things based on how theyíll look, and how Iíll be judged on them. Climbing the greasy pole and all that.

It kinda sounds like youíre asking for the money as a reaction to having to go in, as opposed to needing it, so Iíd be inclined to fight that reaction and suck it up as it were. Your call though.
#6 at 14:28:21 - 12/04/2007
MetalDog
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:7(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I'm in the same position, two hours there, two hours back - often longer it being Sunday Services. Compensation is small to nil and definitely not 'worth' six hours of your life pissed away on work.
Perhaps if you explain the situation to your boss and ask them to make sure they NEEEEEEEED you before they call you in on sundays?
#7 at 14:31:39 - 12/04/2007
Teeth
Flag
Comments:4
Thread Kills:14(5%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Legion:

Don't get a job in games whatever you do. We're lucky to get food, let alone travel.
#8 at 14:33:56 - 12/04/2007
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
How much is your rate on a Sunday? Double time minimum for me. Which is why the cheapskates at my current job don't see me when there's overtime as they'll only pay that on Bank Holidays, weekends is time and a half.

/extends middle digit to that
#9 at 14:37:51 - 12/04/2007
ThreeOutsideDown
Flag
Comments:19
Thread Kills:5(5%)
Star Rating
if it's in your contract i'd say... stop fucking moaning and get on with it.

if it's not in your contract i'd say... stop fucking moaning and get on with it.

having to work an additional 4 sundays a year for 2 hours a piece is hardly slave labour. it's not your employer's fault that you live miles away.

ask yourself is it really worth kicking up stink about it and having a black mark against you for being a trouble maker?

i'd say not.

well you did want an honest opinion...
#10 at 14:43:53 - 12/04/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
Sucking cock isn't in his contract (probably) but he should just get on with it you say?
#11 at 14:45:49 - 12/04/2007
ThreeOutsideDown
Flag
Comments:19
Thread Kills:5(5%)
Star Rating
boabg said:Sucking cock isn't in his contract (probably) but he should just get on with it you say?

depends if it's work related.

natch.
#12 at 14:46:57 - 12/04/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
ThreeOutsideDown said:
boabg said:Sucking cock isn't in his contract (probably) but he should just get on with it you say?

depends if it's work related.

natch.

:p

Nah, where I work doing things outside hours would end up the new norm eventually.
#13 at 14:49:23 - 12/04/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I think it might all depend on where you're working on the Sunday Legion. Subject to what's in your contract, you may be able to charge for time and mileage if you're travelling outside your contracted hours, but I think it'll be worded in there that this is only if you're travelling to somewhere which isn't your usual place of business, i.e. if you had to fly abroad for work, or were using your own car to drive to a client's office.
#14 at 14:59:08 - 12/04/2007
Alastair
Flag
Comments:51
Thread Kills:11(3%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
ThreeOutsideDown said:if it's in your contract i'd say... stop fucking moaning and get on with it.

if it's not in your contract i'd say... stop fucking moaning and get on with it.

having to work an additional 4 sundays a year for 2 hours a piece is hardly slave labour. it's not your employer's fault that you live miles away.

ask yourself is it really worth kicking up stink about it and having a black mark against you for being a trouble maker?

i'd say not.

+1, although said in a nicer way.

Here, working extra hours is considered part of the deal. It doesn't happen all the time. But when it does you are pretty much expected to do whatever it takes to meet the deadline. Usually it involves working late. But I have worked on the weekend too.

It really depends on your job. If you're paid by the hour/day then charge the extra. If you're salaried, I wouldn't even expect to get the extra cash.
As for the travel time - on the whole I'd say it's tough luck. They don't pay you for travel time on any other day...
#15 at 15:55:51 - 12/04/2007
FairgroundTown
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:6(14%)
Star Rating
I think it partly depends upon what you get paid - working 4 Sundays a year is a very different proposition if you are on minimum wage, cf. to if you are on fifty grand. Mrs FT regularly has to eat into her weekends by travelling on a Sunday, to be in Madrid (or wherever) for work on Monday morning, but for what she gets paid, she can't (and doesn't) complain.
#16 at 16:15:49 - 12/04/2007
Legion
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
kalel said:Hmm. Iíd say youíre probably entitled to it, but I generally do work things based on how theyíll look, and how Iíll be judged on them. Climbing the greasy pole and all that.

It kinda sounds like youíre asking for the money as a reaction to having to go in, as opposed to needing it, so Iíd be inclined to fight that reaction and suck it up as it were. Your call though.

Yeah, I see where your coming from and if I worked in London I wouldn't think twice. It's just a very different attitude here, and no one, bar the GMs, stay a second longer than they need to. There's no pole to climb here, the simple rule of promotion is you wait for someone to die then employ the next oldest person. I've buggered any chance of pole climbing anyway by requesting to go part time and taking May of on parental leave.

/extracts urine
#17 at 16:27:04 - 12/04/2007
Legion
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
ThreeOutsideDown said:if it's in your contract i'd say... stop fucking moaning and get on with it.

i'd say not.

Honest opinion appreciated.

The company I work for is pretty good, however my manager is an arse. I've had additional sources of income removed recently (oncall pay, overtime pay) for no reason other than his wife told him to (she doesn't work her, she just moaned at him having to be oncall so he removed it for everyone. He's an arse and I'm not giving up my Sundays to help him carry out an audit that he scheduled for the weekend.

Treat your staff well and they'll go above and beyond. Treat 'em unfairly and they'll do you no favours. It's a simple, but very true rule.
#18 at 16:38:11 - 12/04/2007
Legion
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Alastair said:

i'd say not.

+1, although said in a nicer way.

Here, working extra hours is considered part of the deal. It doesn't happen all the time. But when it does you are pretty much expected to do whatever it takes to meet the deadline. Usually it involves working late. But I have worked on the weekend too.

It really depends on your job. If you're paid by the hour/day then charge the extra. If you're salaried, I wouldn't even expect to get the extra cash.
As for the travel time - on the whole I'd say it's tough luck. They don't pay you for travel time on any other day...

Yeah, that's where my dilema is. See I did choose to live a bit further away, but I calculated that into extra journey time during the week, not for weekends. I'm not supposed to work weekends at all, and I dislike giving them up without good reason.

Would it be fair for work to call me in for half an ours work, pay me for that, but force me to spend 2 hours travelling and £10 on fuel? I'd be making a loss, so there's no way I'd agree to that.

/shrugs
#19 at 16:45:29 - 12/04/2007
Legion
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
FairgroundTown said:I think it partly depends upon what you get paid - working 4 Sundays a year is a very different proposition if you are on minimum wage, cf. to if you are on fifty grand. Mrs FT regularly has to eat into her weekends by travelling on a Sunday, to be in Madrid (or wherever) for work on Monday morning, but for what she gets paid, she can't (and doesn't) complain.

Well I've not complained about using up my Sunday for travel to London or abroad, when I'm on a training course, because I get something out of it too. I can see the benefit there. This is a different case though. IMO.
#20 at 16:47:09 - 12/04/2007
MetalDog
Flag
Star Rating
I think the currently quite prevelant trend for employers to give their employees very litte and expect unpaid overtime as a given, stinks. It's like saying, 'you should just do it because they employ you and you should be grateful for it!' Fuck that shit, say I. The less they give me, the less I give them.
#21 at 17:28:17 - 12/04/2007
kalel
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
MetalDog said:I think the currently quite prevelant trend for employers to give their employees very litte and expect unpaid overtime as a given, stinks. It's like saying, 'you should just do it because they employ you and you should be grateful for it!' Fuck that shit, say I. The less they give me, the less I give them.

I do agree with this. Iím lucky enough to work for a company where the MDs really do keep themselves very close to all their staff, and reward hard work. They expect everyone to put in extra hours and work their arses off, but then come bonus/pay rise day you see the benefit. That said, thereís really no alternative offered. If you donít put in the extra effort theyíll get rid of you at the first opportunity. Still, all in all it makes it a nice place to work.
#22 at 17:49:20 - 12/04/2007
FairgroundTown
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:6(14%)
Star Rating
kalel said:
all in all it makes it a nice place to work until you want to have a family

Fixed ;)
#23 at 18:07:42 - 12/04/2007
MetalDog
Flag
Star Rating
FairgroundTown said:
kalel said:
all in all it makes it a nice place to work until you want to have a life.

Fixed ;)

Fixed again!
#24 at 18:34:59 - 12/04/2007
DocX
Flag
Thread Kills:9(6%)
Star Rating
Only 4 hours on a Sunday, once in a blue moon? Doesn't seem too much to ask really, to me anyway (works in the games industry). It sounds a bit cheap asking for petrol money too. I'd bite the bullet & get on with it.

Alternatively, ask em if it's really required you be there, considering how far you have to come for only a couple of hours. I work about 35 miles from home so I can understand where you're coming from. Otherwise I'd pull the old 'missus is away with a sick relative, can't get a child minder'.
#25 at 18:36:37 - 12/04/2007
kalel
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
MetalDog said:
FairgroundTown said:
kalel said:
all in all it makes it a nice place to work until you want to have a life.

Fixed ;)

Fixed again!

Heh, itís not too bad. There are far worse jobs for that, lawyers, surgeons etc. I think itís a junior thing as well to a degree. Once youíve entrenched yourself they seem to be pretty cool about people switching to four days weeks when they have kids and that kind of thing.

As some of you will remember I used to work for a place full of work shy dossers where nobody gave a crap about the company, and in return the company certainly didnít give a crap about you. Iíd take the alternative any day.
#26 at 19:35:29 - 12/04/2007
Teeth
Flag
Comments:4
Thread Kills:14(5%)
Star Rating
MetalDog said:I think the currently quite prevelant trend for employers to give their employees very litte and expect unpaid overtime as a given, stinks. It's like saying, 'you should just do it because they employ you and you should be grateful for it!' Fuck that shit, say I. The less they give me, the less I give them.

Yeah and there's always some desperate graduate willing to do it for half the money :@:@:@:@
#27 at 19:42:25 - 12/04/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Own personal opinion:

My company occasionally espects me to come in and work a weekend or an evening. On the first occasion I put in a claim for mileage using the expenses form that we have and they questioned it.

I told them that I had to come back in, which was a 60 mile trip, and that I thought it only fair that they paid me for that expense, just as they would if I was going to London for the day. They paid the money. It's common practice now.

Again IMO, if a company expects you to work for nowt, won't cover reasonable expenses and doesn't reward you in some way (either in a full day off, or payment at at least time and a half) then I don't work for them. It really is that simple. If I'm going to be expected to give my all, I expect the same from them. If it's a one-way deal they quickly see the back of my hairy arse as I walk off into the sunset. I think that's fair, it's got to work for both sides.

So in a nutshell, I don't think enquiring about whether you'll be getting expenses paid is too much to ask, nor do I think asking whether they actually need you there is either.

I don't go for all of this "it's expected so I'll do it" bullshit, as if you put that energy you're wasting there into actually looking for a job working for a company that would respect you, you wouldn't have to work for someone like that in the first place.
#28 at 19:42:54 - 12/04/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Legion, just checked with the missus, and any sweetener they offer you would be purely discretionary. They aren't obligated to do anything.
#29 at 21:41:17 - 12/04/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'd expect at least half a day off in lieu, and ideally a whole day.
#30 at 22:22:34 - 12/04/2007

home