Six months

Author Reply
Carrybagma
Flag
Comments:34
Thread Kills:17(8%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Coming up on six months since release now. Anyone planning on writing an article? I won't, because I've not bought any more games for it since launch.

I believe that many people who bought the Wii, bought it because it was the latest and greatest gadget to have. Gadget buyers move onto the next great gadget in a short time, so I wonder how many Wii's are gathering dust. I wonder if Excite Truck sales are anywhere near that of Wii Play? Has the dinner-party crowd put it away already?

The 'news' excitement of the Wii has gone. The 'toy to have' buzz is still there, but I wonder how long that will last. Probably until the next 'toy to have', as with the gadget-owners. Let's say until Christmas. What then? I think it will end up having to have the games in order to keep selling at current levels or better. Mario and Metroid may not be enough to sell the machine to anyone other than the faithful, who probably have Wiis already.

I feel the Wii's initial success is going to work against Nintendo because I don't think they expected or planned for such success. They've created expectations of something new and different, but do not appear likely to deliver anything to match those expectations for some time. Wii Health? We'll see.

Maybe a Wii version of Twister..

#1 at 04:09:20 - 24/04/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
I think they'll have a great time over Christmas if they can get some games out that people want to buy.

Mine sits doing bugger all unless there's someone else in.
#2 at 10:32:28 - 24/04/2007
Carlo
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:39(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
You getting mercury on friday boabg?
#3 at 10:41:41 - 24/04/2007
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Its a bit shit isnt it.

Bit like what happened to the DS once we all rushed out to get that.
#4 at 10:47:35 - 24/04/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
Carlo said:You getting mercury on friday boabg?

I don't get paid till Monday but if I can pick it up cheap I will.

Amazon have it down for 25th May!
#5 at 10:52:33 - 24/04/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Didn't even know it was out on friday tbh. We were supposed to be getting a promo copy from Ignition, fat fucking chance I guess. So if anyone does get it and fancies writing a review...

I couldn't write an article on the Wii at the moment without feeling like the world's biggest shill. I convinced quite a few people to buy them, and did a pretty good PR job for Ninty. My reward has been to have those people ask me why I bothered. The machine sits idle under many a telly. A few people half heartedly fire up Wii Sports or Tiger Woods now and again, and oddly the public mania for the machine doesn't seem to have abated much - but most gamers who picked one up six months ago have resigned themselves to the fact that Nintendo have acted true to form, brought out a machine with a few desirable titles on it and then left it to rot under a morass of utter shovelware 3rd party shite, while the "promised" first party triple A titles are conspicuous by their absence. Couple this with the rise and rise of other platforms, and it's clear that even the most die hard Nintendo fanboi has better things to do than keep banging on about "The Wii's great potential if they could only release that one game that would magically change everyone's minds"

Sad innit. I might write the article anyway. It'll be interesting to come back to in a year's time when very little's changed.

Peej
#6 at 11:00:25 - 24/04/2007
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Speaking of Tiger Woods...

Whilst its mostly good, when it goes wrong, it goes very fucking wrong.

Saturday saw my first tantrum with the Wii. The control got launched at the sofa, it bounced off landed on the floor... by my feet. Big mistake mr wiimote. Kicked the fucker as far as I could.

I don't know if it still works and frankly I don't care.
#7 at 11:06:20 - 24/04/2007
Legion
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
What exactly went wrong?

/backs slowly out of thread

#8 at 12:05:51 - 24/04/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Tiger Woods is good - but it seems to suffer from some weird degenerative illness as you play.

It starts off like a young frisky buck, full of piss and vinegar. Later on it seems to lose it big time, like someone with parkinson's disease trying to thread a needle with a piece of rope.

What went wrong with the Wii? Simply that we all bought heavily into the hype, we all played Wii sports and got suckered in - then all sat there hoping that the potential of the controller would somehow be realised before everyone got bored. Alas it didn't.

I will still harp on about Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy - both of which WERE special when I played them last summer. If they fuck them up beyond all recognition too, I'll be very annoyed indeed.

Peej
#9 at 12:09:43 - 24/04/2007
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The VC gets the biggest play in my house. I'll be picking up Kororinpa when it's a bit cheaper as the videos looked like bloody good fun, but by and large I'm annoyed at the prices for games. Should be 30 tops.

Still fucking furious with NoE. We STILL don't have Trauma Center, for fuck's sake! It's maddening!

I'm still considering selling mine and getting a US console, and selling off the Wii Points I have still wrapped.
#10 at 12:30:01 - 24/04/2007
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Can you find them in stores now? Is there a reason to want to?
#11 at 12:36:25 - 24/04/2007
djchump
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
TBH - I always thought there'd be this drought. I was expecting it to take about 9 months to a year before the decent games start coming out for it, following the same pattern as the DS.

Publishers are starting to take it more seriously now, which bodes well but the worry for me is there hasn't been a big hitter released over in Japan - something like Nintendogs or Brain Training. When system-sellers and rgeat little games like Phoenix Wright, Picross, Slitherlink etc. get released in Japan it normally takes a fair few months for Nintendo to realise it has a hit on their hands and get it translated for the western market. So if there isn't a big thing in Japan right now for the Wii, it's gonna be an even longer wait for the West :-(

I reckon by this christmas there'll be enough decent (and half-decent) Wii games for me to really want one.
#12 at 12:43:48 - 24/04/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It might be worth pointing out that Mercury Evolution is a lovely little title that uses the Wiimote well.

But I'm just so meh about the whole Wii experience at the moment that I can't even be bothered to pick it up.

Peej
#13 at 12:45:40 - 24/04/2007
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:
It might be worth pointing out that Mercury Evolution is a lovely little title that uses the Wiimote well.

It looks great, it's on my sister-in-law's to-buy list and mine too. It was made for tilt :)
#14 at 12:52:23 - 24/04/2007
Carrybagma
Flag
Comments:34
Thread Kills:17(8%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Retroid said:Still fucking furious with NoE. We STILL don't have Trauma Center, for fuck's sake! It's maddening!

Oh absolutely. I've been wanting to play titles that are uniquely Wii and really wanted Trauma Centre. Instead, they're concentrating on stuff that could be done on any platform without upsetting the gameplay. You'd think NoE would be *gasping* for titles like TC in order to demonstrate how unique this console is.

djchump said:I reckon by this christmas there'll be enough decent (and half-decent) Wii games for me to really want one.

ooh I think you're wrong there. I just don't see quality (or 'designed for Wii') stuff appearing until this time next year, which leaves you with Mario and Metroid. Sound familiar? Nintendo knew this too, which is why they're stretching out the release schedule. Can't have people with nothing to look forward to!

Someone(s) on EG (Nekotcha, I think) described GC dev teams being disbanded and sent off to PS3 projects, instead of cooking up stuff for the Wii before launch. So, all that skill and experience was dispersed. With publishers being shocked into action by the Wii's initial success, they presumably cobbled together new teams to crank out quick crap. I'd take a guess that most Wii devs are working on ports, rather than unique material.

If at this time next year, we're still wondering what great games are going to come out, then the thing is probably going to die. If Nintendo start talking a lot about the next Wii Zelda, we know that they're stringing the fanboys along and it's going to die. The 'new gamers' will have ended their gaming experiment long before, or gone back to the DS.

Peej - yep; it's all your fault. :o)

#15 at 17:13:39 - 24/04/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I know, I know - it makes me sad...

Interesting that Wii Mercury also includes Joypad support. Now that's something I'd like to see a lot more in Wii games. Having the option to go back to pad control if you want to (hey, who'd have thought that six months on we'd be clamouring for pad support on Wii games eh?)

Peej
#16 at 17:16:40 - 24/04/2007
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Have you all completed all the wii games you own then? The problem I find on other systems is the stack of games I buy that are good and hardly even get past the tutorials on. Not a problem ninty fans should have ;)
#17 at 17:17:30 - 24/04/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
billdoor said:Have you all completed all the wii games you own then? The problem I find on other systems is the stack of games I buy that are good and hardly even get past the tutorials on. Not a problem ninty fans should have ;)

Well I'm never going to finish Zelda, but I've finished Red Steel, Excitetruck and Wario Ware and haven't got the heart to finish the rest.

Peej
#18 at 17:19:54 - 24/04/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I did warn you all...

Nintendo will never change. Face it. Even with the DS I end importing everything because of the retarded European release schedule.

I'm not pleased at the moment. For me, the PS3 has a stupid controller, no games and is too much money. The 360 has good games but is a noisy and generally shit peice of hardware. And the Wii I still think is a daft gimmick. So 2007 is retro year for me; even the DS release schedule seems rather dry for me too.
#19 at 17:26:03 - 24/04/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'll be happy with DS Sim City. That looks loverrrly.

Peej
#20 at 17:33:38 - 24/04/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I thought I might like Theme Park but it bored me to tears. My son should get Pokemon this week, I'm interested to see it as I've never seen one in action.

/Brian Sewell

I believe one has to catch them all.
#21 at 17:44:44 - 24/04/2007
djchump
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
Star Rating
WOPR said:I did warn you all...

Nintendo will never change. Face it. Even with the DS I end importing everything because of the retarded European release schedule...

Yeah there is that - I love Nintendo cos I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of GBA and DS games (what with spending a good few years commuting about 3 hours a day), but I really hate Nintendo of Europe because of:

1) Shitty shitty release schedules

2) Treating the GBA and DS like a kiddy toy and not pushing for more european versions of quirky and more "grown-up" titles from Japan

3) That bullshit they fob us off with on the european "Nintendo VIP Stars" website - the Japs can get AWESOME stuff for their nintendo stars (well, really cute stationery, origami paper and gubbins like that) and not the chav shit ringtone bollocks and PC wallpapers (?!!), all being digitally reproducible crap that should be free and not *actual* stuff that they post to you.

4) NOE being totally out of the loop information-wise - e.g. that day Yarnton announced there was no DS redesign planned, then the next day Nintendo Japan announced the DS Lite.... what a tard.

It's why I end up importing all my DS games from the US or Japan :-(
#22 at 18:46:16 - 24/04/2007

home