Trip Skyway is my hero (and his mum's great too!)


Author Reply
Harry
Flag
Posts:939
Comments:7
Thread Kills:18(2%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
The Riddick HD-DVD is mind-buggeringly beautiful. It's definitely the disk to put on to show off HD movies. Right from the off it's chock full of detail - there's so much intricate design work on show it really doesn't highlight the benefits of the format.
#31 at 23:51:10 - 25/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:
Thing is, seems they're uber tough to get hold of from anyone UK based without paying through the nose for 'em (can you believe PLAY's prices for BD?)

Peej

Um, yes? Is it just me who remembers when DVDs were considered cheap as chips if you could get them for less than 20?
#32 at 01:52:47 - 26/04/2007
Manuel Garcia
Flag
Posts:366
Comments:35
Thread Kills:10(3%)
AATG Pts:120
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Harry said:The Riddick HD-DVD is mind-buggeringly beautiful. It's definitely the disk to put on to show off HD movies. Right from the off it's chock full of detail - there's so much intricate design work on show it really doesn't highlight the benefits of the format.


I've been banging that particular drum over on EG ever since i got my drive.

I put in King Kong first, slightly disappointed, then put in Riddick and had to scrape my jaw off the floor several times within the first minute alone.

#33 at 03:51:57 - 26/04/2007
Mapster
Flag
Posts:859
Comments:72
Thread Kills:14(2%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:You have a Zone A PS3 though don'tcha mappy?

Thing is, seems they're uber tough to get hold of from anyone UK based without paying through the nose for 'em (can you believe PLAY's prices for BD?)

Peej


Not sure, but it's Hong Kong. Plays Jap and USA region blu-ray which I find much better because it's cheaper, and I can get them sooner.

Also, everything is region free atm so you can kind of buy from anywhere until locks kick in.
#34 at 14:40:50 - 26/04/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Posts:2048
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
It is handy being able to get stuff from the US, the Japanese prices are crazy at at around 25 a disk.

Just got Children of Men HD DVD the other day, what a great film (I'd not seen it before), looks nice too.
#35 at 15:52:01 - 26/04/2007
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
ilmaestro said:
peej said:
Thing is, seems they're uber tough to get hold of from anyone UK based without paying through the nose for 'em (can you believe PLAY's prices for BD?)

Peej

Um, yes? Is it just me who remembers when DVDs were considered cheap as chips if you could get them for less than 20?


Fair point but for the format to start taking off, BD needs to be the same price as DVD. Or at least cheaper than HD-DVD otherwise people will not bother, not for the sake of just having things clearer and crisper. Look how long it took for DVD to see off VHS.

Peej
#36 at 16:01:39 - 26/04/2007
El_MUERkO
Flag
Posts:708
Comments:71
Thread Kills:26(4%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Early Blu-Rays have been single layer MPEG2 ripped from the DVD master files which were generally 1080i, thus the quality was a bit poop. Newer Blu-Rays are mosdtly dual layer MPEG4 and much improved.

Its well worth reading review sites before buying.
#37 at 16:02:22 - 26/04/2007
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Did I miss a trick somewhere? I thought the whole point in BD was that you didn't need to dual layer stuff anymore, there was "more than enough storage"

No?

Peej
#38 at 16:24:06 - 26/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:
ilmaestro said:
peej said:
Thing is, seems they're uber tough to get hold of from anyone UK based without paying through the nose for 'em (can you believe PLAY's prices for BD?)

Peej

Um, yes? Is it just me who remembers when DVDs were considered cheap as chips if you could get them for less than 20?


Fair point but for the format to start taking off, BD needs to be the same price as DVD. Or at least cheaper than HD-DVD otherwise people will not bother, not for the sake of just having things clearer and crisper. Look how long it took for DVD to see off VHS.

Peej

Well, they will be (the right price), eventually. I don't think Sony really expect a massive swing towards people buying Blu-ray movies straight away, regardless. Plus the fact that the excessively higher pricepoint is largely a European (may even only be UK, I don't know) problem.
#39 at 00:03:00 - 27/04/2007
Harry
Flag
Posts:939
Comments:7
Thread Kills:18(2%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
peej said:Did I miss a trick somewhere? I thought the whole point in BD was that you didn't need to dual layer stuff anymore, there was "more than enough storage"

No?


No Peej, being dual layer was always part of the deal.
#40 at 00:20:51 - 27/04/2007
billdoor
Flag
Posts:3886
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
They need to be dual layer to contain 5 different languages all mixed in 5.1 or higher :)
#41 at 12:58:22 - 27/04/2007
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
billdoor said:They need to be dual layer to contain 5 different languages all mixed in 5.1 or higher :)


Ahhh that makes sense.

Fuck it, thankfully it didn't seem to be as much of a problem as it has been with certain Dual Layer DVDs...that have a massive pause in the middle of the film when the thing switches layers.

Peej
#42 at 13:35:57 - 27/04/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well, it's more the fault of the player than anything else, I think, when you get really bad pauses between layer changes. Could be wrong, though.
#43 at 13:53:20 - 27/04/2007
Kay
Flag
Posts:2120
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
This is the closest to an FAO Trip thread - I sent an email to the address in your profile the other day, have you had a chance to read it?

Cheers. :)
#44 at 14:14:43 - 23/09/2011
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Posts:2048
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Don't remember this thread at all, but my mum is great :) I'll go check my mail!
#45 at 13:48:09 - 25/09/2011
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Posts:2048
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Sent you a mail Kay, it might have got junked.
#46 at 03:55:36 - 29/09/2011
Kay
Flag
Posts:2120
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Good job you pointed that out, otherwise I'd never have seen it - especially with the ridiculous amount of spam I get on that account! Anyway, reply sent. :)
#47 at 00:47:16 - 02/10/2011

home
Left