Buzzing noise from PS3 through my speakers. Any help?

Author Reply
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
Can anyone shed some light on my PS3 problem?

Playing through the SCART cable that comes with it or another RGB SCART cable I bought, I get a rather annoying low frequency buzzing noise coming through my speakers. It's not particulaly noticable when something noisy is happening but during anything quiet it's very noticeable. I'm thinking it's some kind of shielding/earthing problem.

No evidence of this from my Wii, 360 or PS2, so what gives?
#1 at 11:48:34 - 23/05/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The Wii and the 360 have external power supplies - perhaps it's picking up interference from the internal PS3 one. I'll discount the PS2 because it doesn't draw anywhere near the same amount of power as the 360 or PS3.

Have you got a flash scart cable or a cheapy ?
#2 at 12:31:19 - 23/05/2007
mentat
Flag
Comments:15
Thread Kills:4(3%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Well it's tricky, but try and isolate the cable away from any other cable, power supplies, electrical gadgets and the like.
#3 at 12:31:54 - 23/05/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
After a bit of googling it seems I'm not alone. Apparently it's caused by the PS3 having more than one ground and some kind of loop being formed.

There's talk of breaking the earth prong off the plug. Is that at all safe?

The (5) cable I bought makes the noise louder curiously.
#4 at 12:42:56 - 23/05/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
boabg said:After a bit of googling it seems I'm not alone. Apparently it's caused by the PS3 having more than one ground and some kind of loop being formed.

A fiver is very cheap for a scart boabg. If the noise is worse dependant on the cable, that definitely indicates it's a shielding problem. Does the PS3 take standard scarts or does it have a proprietary fitting at the console end ? If it's standard, I'd borrow/buy a decent scart lead (an Ixus or somesuch) and see if that makes a difference.

As for breaking the earth point off your plug, the Europeans and Americans (and maybe the Japanese) don't even have a seperate earth pin. The machine is essentially multi-region as far as the power supply is concerned, so in theory there's no reason for it to 'need' an earth. Can you open the plug or is it sealed ? You could check and see if it's actually got an earth lead.
#5 at 15:02:35 - 23/05/2007
boabg
Flag
Star Rating
JimJam said:
boabg said:After a bit of googling it seems I'm not alone. Apparently it's caused by the PS3 having more than one ground and some kind of loop being formed.

A fiver is very cheap for a scart boabg. If the noise is worse dependant on the cable, that definitely indicates it's a shielding problem. Does the PS3 take standard scarts or does it have a proprietary fitting at the console end ? If it's standard, I'd borrow/buy a decent scart lead (an Ixus or somesuch) and see if that makes a difference.

As for breaking the earth point off your plug, the Europeans and Americans (and maybe the Japanese) don't even have a seperate earth pin. The machine is essentially multi-region as far as the power supply is concerned, so in theory there's no reason for it to 'need' an earth. Can you open the plug or is it sealed ? You could check and see if it's actually got an earth lead.

It takes the same cable as the PS1 and 2 by the looks of things. I only bought the other cable to try and rule out the cable that came with it.

I've not had a look at the plug to see if it's moulded or not but I will tonight.

Cheers for the suggestions :)
#6 at 15:08:56 - 23/05/2007

home