billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
councilling for a homophobic jibe?!

kicked off for using a racist word off screen.

To me there seems to be a growing split between what's acceptable in normal peoples lives and whats acceptable with the meeja.

Someone at work has a Brad Pitt calendar and we always have a joke that he looks a bit gay in some of the pictures. I don't think that's abnormal but I'd be sacked from pretty much any television programme if I made such a comment, even off air.

As Nicky Campbell said on Breakfast today, a Scally liverpool fan punctuated his answers with the word "fuck" live on radio last week, simply because thats the way he speaks, but it caused outrage. Are we heading towards a position where telly doesn't reflect any aspect of real life?

I'm not really looking for a debate on whether its okay to say that someone looks a bit gay or whatever but rather that this stuff obviously goes on everyday in every walk of life but is treated like a suggestion that we introduce death camps or something when reported in the media.
#1 at 12:53:48 - 08/06/2007
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I wonder if there was any complaints when Frankie won the Derby on Saturday when he said a few fucks as he went back to the dressing room?

The commentator did a few platitudes to apologise but if you're keeping a camera on someone who is rather happy, going to the changing room and saying things like "open the fucking champagne!" it's not surprising.
#2 at 13:03:37 - 08/06/2007
Harry
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:18(2%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
It does seem a little over the top. Often what seems even more crackers is making someone go to counselling for something.

Take for example George Bush's daughters - aged 19 - were caught drinking in a bar. They had to go to some sort of alcohol counselling thing. Totally potty.

Though in the case of Big Brother, all the thick wenches should be shot.
#3 at 13:06:11 - 08/06/2007
Mr J
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:5(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's all getting a bit beyond ridiculous.

The counselling thing was started by PR guys who needed a way to show that a person was reformed. It's because people don't actually want television to be a reflection of real life they want a happy make believe world where everything is perfect.

That's why whenever there is a programme made, that has a realistic portrayal of a modern day person, it is reffered to as a 'gritty drama'. The idea that someone swears and drinks, possibly smokes and is in general actually just not a cuddly fluffy person, is not what people want to believe is real.
#4 at 13:16:01 - 08/06/2007
ruttyboy
Flag
Comments:22
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
" I meant T.V. ugly, not 'ugly' ugly! "
#5 at 14:50:29 - 08/06/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
As the head of C4 said on the news this morning "You might not like Big Brother, I don't even like Big Brother but that show makes up 54% of our overall station revenue"

So there y'go. S'funny how as soon as the proggy starts having a lull in the number of viewers, something controversial happens.

Peej
#6 at 15:32:34 - 08/06/2007
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
There's a reason I watch an average of 1-2 hours of TV per month.

Total time of TV watched in June: 0

/lives on the net instead

Of course, the net swings towards the other extreme and people calls of "I wish you die a slow horrible death" seem a suitable reply to someone who just happens to express a different point of view.
#7 at 16:48:40 - 08/06/2007

home