Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The gf and I have a two weeks holiday soon! /

We've planned it extensively. About a month ago, we agreed to this plan: "drive up to Scotland, tour around a bit, come back after 2 weeks."

As it's now a week away, we decided we need to create a somewhat more elaborate plan. We've both been too busy to check travel guides and such, so we agreed on a more detailed plan over the phone yesterday.
New plan: Find 3 camping sites on the West cost (south, middle and north). Drive up to Scotland and go stay at each campsite for a few days, making excursion into the countryside. Then move further north to the next campsite. Stay a few days, make a few excursions in the countryside.

Once we're at the north, we'll drive across to Edinburgh for a few days before heading back to London.

Not much of a plan but hey. Really didn't have time to investigate further.

I know there's a few Scottisch people here and maybe a few of you have visited in the past. Any tips?
Tips for good campsites or for stategic locations on the west cost where I can start looking for some campsites appreciated.
Tips on stuff to visit or avoid also appreciated.

The gf said she picked up about 5K Kg of travel guides from her mother's on Saturday, we should be able to go through them as we're travelling north and figure out what we want to go visit really.
Until then, I'm in charge of finding us a place to stay, so naturally I thought I'd ask on a gaming forum first. :-)
#1 at 18:23:45 - 13/08/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Scary, we're thinking of doing the same instead of Slovakia now...

If anyone knows anywhere nice and quiet, remote and self catering that'd be bonza.

Peej
#2 at 18:32:37 - 13/08/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
As you've picked up the travel guides you'll be well sorted. No matter where you go in Scotland away from the big towns you'll find plenty of what you're looking for in campsites/things to see.

Whatever the hell you do for the love of all that is holy get some midge repellent.
#3 at 18:37:01 - 13/08/2007
Roobs
Flag
Comments:4
Thread Kills:7(2%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Due to my in-laws living up there, I've never had to camp anywhere in Scotland. However, I know that one place you need to visit is The Trossachs. It's absolutely lovely there, especially places such as Callander and Loch Lomond.
#4 at 18:39:50 - 13/08/2007
Salaman
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
What are midges?

/gets worried visions about giant insects
#5 at 18:42:45 - 13/08/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
boabg said:
Whatever the hell you do for the love of all that is holy get some midge repellent.

Good god yes - I haven't been up to Scotland camping for a while, but I was about to post this too. Unbelievale amounts of midges. As for West Coast places, I always liked Oban, but it might have changed.
#6 at 18:45:21 - 13/08/2007
spanky
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:4(2%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
South Trossachs(balmaha/loch lomond/ben lomond)

Middle Trossachs(ochill hills/aberfoyle/callander)

North Trossachs(ben nevis/fort william/glencoe/ballachulish)

All have tons of camping places and shizzle. Aye and as boab says get the midgy repellant.

You can get loads of stuff on the area, wouldn't really venture outside the trossachs as scotland is a fucking dead-post-industrial wasteland of misery and asbos. ;)
#7 at 18:46:55 - 13/08/2007
spanky
Flag
Star Rating
midges are tiny wee bastards from hell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midges
flamethrower works.
#8 at 18:48:00 - 13/08/2007
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Oh yeah, Castle Douglas and surrounding area seemed nice - went there in Feb this year, and there's good waterside campsites around there.
#9 at 18:48:02 - 13/08/2007
spanky
Flag
Star Rating
If you buy Avon Skin So Soft before you go up you can sell it to midgy affected losers for the same price as gold, it's meant to be the ultimate deterrant for midgys... oop almost derailing, i'll shut up about them now, midge season is nearly over anyhoo.
#10 at 18:52:04 - 13/08/2007
Salaman
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Aaah them.
Somehow they hadn't featured in any of the Sctoland related daydreaming so far. :-(
#11 at 19:06:10 - 13/08/2007
spanky
Flag
Star Rating
/puts money on having a hump up the glen in his kilt Rob Roy style

Busted!
#12 at 19:20:19 - 13/08/2007
MetalDog
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:7(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Try the square sausage and the fruit sausage stuff (toasted). Yum.

For the midges, don't wash your hair with shampoo and generally try to stay away from highly perfumed deoderants/soaps and the like. They love that shit.
#13 at 19:28:59 - 13/08/2007
Khanivor
Flag
Comments:12
Thread Kills:28(8%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal

Hose yourself down from head to toe in deet if you are going camping on the west coast.

Consider the east coast as well. And Royal Deeside is some of the very most beautiful bits of Scotland, with added towns bonus.
#14 at 21:59:22 - 13/08/2007
Tabasco
Flag
Comments:8
Thread Kills:11(7%)
Star Rating
And try and get to Skye too...only went there myself 2 years ago and fell in love with the place...
#15 at 22:28:02 - 13/08/2007
bunglebonce
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:2(4%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I live in the Highlands and recommend towns like Elgin, Ullapool and perhaps less arguably Inverness as decent towns to visit. There are some cracking camping places all up the west coast (Applecross springs to mind, looking on to the Inner Hebrides), although the midges are ferocious on the wrong day. But as Spanky says, the season for them must be finishing soon.
#16 at 02:55:53 - 14/08/2007
Alastair
Flag
Comments:51
Thread Kills:11(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Culzean castle is a nice place to visit, probably a bit too far south for your schedule. It fits into Rabbie Burns country, or Ayrshire as it's also known.

Area round Glencoe is nice. Good chance of spotting some native carnivorous plants - sundews and butterworts! :o)

Edinburgh is great! Make sure you try the brown chippy sauce - it's lush and not like HP sauce. Got to admit I didn't do a great deal of touristy stuff as I was a student there. Might be worth doing one of the bus tours, they usually show the interesting stuff. Or you might be able to do a guided walk. Plus of course you can reminisce about your best lap times in PGR2!

Oh, and don't call the Scots 'Scotch' - that's the name of the whisky not the people! Some of them get a bit touchy.
#17 at 10:54:21 - 14/08/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
Come to Glasgow and take me for a pint!
#18 at 10:58:03 - 14/08/2007
Salaman
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Cool, lots of useful tips. Thanks. I'll print this off and stick it in with the travel guides so we can go see some of this stuff maybe. I always prefer visiting something which was recommended to me persoanlly (well via the net in this case) over than what the Loney Planet has recommended to a few million readers.

Baobg if we come near Glasgow I'll give you a shout. You're not dodgy or scary are you? I can just imagine telling my gf "We'll go meet this real nice chap that I know off the internet. Never met him but he's nice and all" and when she reluctantly agrees, I find myself in the pub with a ginger, grumpy groundskeeper Willy type which her cowering behind me. :-D

Does anyone know of any "active" stuff? Julia was looking on the net for some sailing trips but that seems a bit expensive. I'm thinking I might take a few hours of kitesurfing lessons just to see if I'll be able to stand up on the board after a few hours.

There's plenty of places that google throws up but if you have first hand experience, give me a shout.
Other suggestions welcome. I think maybe paragliding might be fund as well.
#19 at 12:14:08 - 14/08/2007
Alastair
Flag
Comments:51
Thread Kills:11(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Salaman said:Does anyone know of any "active" stuff? Julia was looking on the net for some sailing trips but that seems a bit expensive. I'm thinking I might take a few hours of kitesurfing lessons just to see if I'll be able to stand up on the board after a few hours.

There's plenty of places that google throws up but if you have first hand experience, give me a shout.

Only thing I have first hand experience of in that regard is skiiing. And you're going at the wrong time of year for that.
#20 at 13:39:22 - 14/08/2007
Salaman
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Damn!

/Postpones trip to December
#21 at 13:52:06 - 14/08/2007
spanky
Flag
Star Rating
Some of the lochs do waterskiing and the like, at least they used to. Loch Earn is the one i'm thinking of.

I find myself in the pub with a ginger, grumpy groundskeeper Willy type which her cowering behind me

That's the last time i meet you in the pub!

TONGS YA BAS!
#22 at 14:26:49 - 14/08/2007
PiD
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:4(5%)
Star Rating
With kitesurfing you have little chance of standing up on the board in a lesson of only a few hours.. Best you'll get is a bit of bodydragging.. There are a few places round the coast that you could do windsurfing and stuff, and alot of outdoor activity places thatll take you canoeing/kayaking on the rivers/lochs.

I know alot of the estates up around Aviemore/Inverness do stuff like that..

The cairngorm national park area is a nice place to visit, on a nice day the view from the top of Cairngorm is stunning and the rest of the area is really awesome too. Some great places to walk around.

If you are up around the Inverness area, go a bit further north to the Falls of Shin and visit the Harrods there. Great view, great food and just pretty random to go visit the Harrods that nobody really knows about.
#23 at 14:28:17 - 14/08/2007
Tabasco
Flag
Comments:8
Thread Kills:11(7%)
Star Rating
Do you have mountain bikes you can take? s'pose you can rent them too...Some great riding to be had! (well my mate keeps telling me anyway, I've never gone yet...)
#24 at 19:49:36 - 14/08/2007

home