EA's Skate & Skate 2

Author Reply
djchump
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Well, me and my mates absolutely *loved* Tony Hawks 1 and 2, but I lost interest when THPS3 came out and it was so stupidly unreal and fast that it jsut didn't seem like skating any more.

But the Skate demo totally won me over - from not being interested in any skating games I'm suddenly sold on an EA game (of all things!) after just a five minute dabble in a demo :-)

*Well* worth checking out if you're a fan of THPS, especially if you started getting bored of THPS.
#1 at 12:03:26 - 22/08/2007
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
You are not wrong there!

I think TH2 was the last one i played, and i did sort of enjoy it, but the actual 'feel' of this game is spot on, and although it is hard, you always feel like you are making progress.

I would so be a sale if the purse strings weren't so tight.
#2 at 13:13:36 - 22/08/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
*BUY*

I saw the flick-stick stuff and thought "Oh fuck no".

Played through the tutorial a bit, and thought "Oh hold on a sec, this is working..."

Played through some of the skater challenges and thought "PREORDER ALERT, PREORDER ALERT!"

Sorry Birdman, but you're dumped. There's a new Sheriff in town and she's called Kate. S. Kate

Peej
#3 at 22:38:47 - 22/08/2007
djchump
Flag
Star Rating
*Wow!*

Just spent a lunchbreak playing the demo and I'm totally sold - I'm now more excited about Skate than Bioshock TBH.

*Infinitely* closer to the fun of real skating than THPS - just cruising around the skate park you see a couple of close rails, or 3 circular raised paltforms, and you just instantly have to try and manual or grind across them and it poses a real challenge - unlike in THPS where you'd be backflipping or handstand-grinding across them with impunity.

The physics are bang on (ragdolls are as close to a real human hitting real the ground, rail etc. as I've seen in a game so far), sound is impeccable (even the click click of the wheels across the gaps in the concrete slabs), control is sublime and instantly makes sense to anyone who's ever ridden a board.
You can even pump on the vert ramps / pools by shifting your weight with the left analog stick, seems pretty much exactly how it would work in real life.

Film / clip editor is good fun and seems like it would be a real good way to capture and save those flukey moments or best tricks - especially like the scrub control on analog sticks where the sound slows down or speeds up to match the playback speed :-)

Just fingers crossed the multiplayer is as good as I've already imagined it will be in my head :-D
#4 at 16:14:28 - 23/08/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I hadn't even really thought about the multiplayer but yeah if there's the possibility to set up custom competitions like the competitions you enter in the demo, then this could be just fucktastically special.

Peej
#5 at 16:38:13 - 23/08/2007
djchump
Flag
Star Rating
Well, just watching the video at the end of the demo showed some characters doing "crew" style skating where they all follow each other through the tunnel or do vert tricks over each other's heads... suggest some mucho fun just cruising around the skatepark in a convy and tricking off stuff :-)

Plus the demo had that nollie tutorial where the guy had you follow him and nollie in the gates... so hopefully there may be more challenges along those lines.

I can't believe I'm suddenly so keen on this game... it's really taken me by surprise! :-)
#6 at 16:42:57 - 23/08/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yeah me too but in a *good* way

Liked some of the insane urban skateboarding in the trailer - the guy highlining off a huge drop, and missing it the first time...then going back up to have another go.

Some of the stuff's so convingingly "real" looking in comparison to the Proving Ground footage I've seen so far, that you'd swear it was all just rotoscoped video footage.

Seriously counting off the minutes till hometime!

Peej
#7 at 18:10:59 - 23/08/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Is there a decent video of this anywhere?
#8 at 18:39:34 - 23/08/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
here

There is also some footage on gametrailers that shows how the trick-busting thumb stuff works.

Peej
#9 at 18:51:04 - 23/08/2007
djchump
Flag
Star Rating
The thing is, I don't think any video will really convey how good the game controls feel - which is the major selling point for me. You really have to play the demo to see how the controls make the game amazing (well, IHMO) :-)

You feel so much more connected to the movement of the feet and board that doing a trick is much more of an accomplishment than THPS, where you just press a button. Stringing together tricks and moves in Skate just feels much more like real skating and less like spamming button presses wildly to max out a combo meter, which is what THPS ended up as for me.

I guess the closest I can describe the controls is that Skate is to skateboarding like Guitar Hero is to playing guitar - i.e. feels natural, realistic and fun, while still empowering you to do tricks and stuff you'd probablt never manage in real life ;-)
#10 at 19:15:56 - 23/08/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'd agree that this is another example of how much games can benefit from EA's push towards two stick control across the board in their sports games. Possibly the best example. I wasn't really getting into the demo too much first time around, but once it clicked with me and I was timing things well enough to win the little competition thing at the end I was very impressed. Much better than anything Hawk related that I've ever played. I really like the fact that even small combos feel like something of an achievement, and the controls for manuals and different things are the most natural thing in the world on this. They really seem to have nailed it.

The only thing is, I think it will be too hard for me. I'm not really into skateboarding in any way, so I don't think I will have the motivation to really get to grips with the game to be able to consistently pull of what the game asks of you and it will just get frustrating. Another one to look out for in the January sales, for me.
#11 at 14:22:58 - 12/09/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The full version is just totally brilliant.It starts off with one of the best pre-game movies I've seen in a long time (lots of genuine LOL moments, particularly if you know any pro skaters that appear in the thing). The full game has layer after layer of depth and the city you get to play in is utterly massive, smooth frame rates, no tearing and chock full of skateable stuff. Not done in an in your face way like the Tony Hawk games but a genuinely impressive environment mimicking what you'd see in any normal city I guess (including lots of cars and pedestrians to avoid! Sorry granny!)

The presentation is slick throughout, really bloody impressive stuff. Great soundtrack too unusually.

Into the game itself, tricking feels like it's got a genuine reward/fail curve that gives you plenty to work towards. Building perfect lines is more than just stick-flicking, it's timing, judgement and skill in good proportion. Each of the pros you meet will teach you a new wrinkle on how to improve your lines and tricking. There seem to be so many challenges in this, even after a couple of hours play I can already tell that this is going to take a hell of a long time to get boring. The areas are hyooooge and there are just so many challenges even before you tackle all the movie / photo stuff.

Online the game falls on its face a bit with the EA online stuff being a bit fiddly. Uploaded movies and pics are supposedly a bit of an annoyance to access which is a bit sad.

Right, back into the game. So long Halo 3. Thanks for the couple of days distraction till this turned up!

Peej
#12 at 15:01:14 - 29/09/2007
Tomo
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:7(4%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Can't wait to get stuck into this. The demo was awesome.

The only thing stopping me is that Halo 3 is surprisingly fucking awesome and playing it online with my new, first HDTV, in bed when I wake up is preventing me from getting round to Skate.

360s ftw at the moment.
#13 at 15:53:29 - 29/09/2007
[maven]
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:8(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I pretty much agree with Peej, although I also can't access my stuff from the web because EA doesn't want be to be able to link my Live tag to that EA account.

Can you access my video in the game, peej?
#14 at 16:22:00 - 29/09/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
My copy turned up today, it's great. Really looking forward to some online fun with mates.

No idea how to get into the EA linking thing but this vid made me laugh.
#15 at 17:51:39 - 29/09/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
[maven] said:I pretty much agree with Peej, although I also can't access my stuff from the web because EA doesn't want be to be able to link my Live tag to that EA account.

Can you access my video in the game, peej?

Not sure how to access your vid in-game either though I'm going to have a monkey around with the live portion of the game and see if I can't find out how to do this. EA really are stubborn cunts when it comes to re-inventing the wheel just to shove a spoke in Microsoft's live service, the dolts.

I uploaded a rather tasty vid of a very scary bald man doing a very scary high drop into an old swimming pool which I thought looked ace.

Bloody superb game though. Review's on the front page though it's just so difficult to do the thing justice, it's just that impressive and full of little moments that make an old skatehound like me hug themselves with glee.

Oh btw, here's a knock knock joke...

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Tony

Tony who?

Ah well, that's the games biz for ya!

Peej
#16 at 22:57:56 - 29/09/2007
[maven]
Flag
Star Rating
I finally managed to to this EA vs. Microsoft linking thing, and here's my trick. :)
#17 at 01:16:46 - 30/09/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Having trouble with the gamertag linking. Do you have to use the same email as your gamertag for your EA log in?

When I go to the skate part of the EA site it always says I'm logged of or haven't linked my Tag, the email it says will come when I upload something never showed up.
#18 at 08:06:28 - 30/09/2007
PiD
Flag
Thread Kills:4(5%)
Star Rating
Yeah im pretty sure its the gamertag email. Least mine was..
#19 at 11:02:58 - 30/09/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Maybe it's because I tried uploading something with the demo. Maybe I missed my linking up mail :(
#20 at 13:35:54 - 30/09/2007
[maven]
Flag
Star Rating
What worked for me, was creating an EA classic account persona, and then linking my gamertag to that classic one here.
#21 at 18:50:43 - 30/09/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yup finally got it sorted by creating a new persona tag, then linking my live account with it. Be warned, it seems to take about 24 hours to update in some cases...

Anyway here's a nice big drop, the fruits of my labours. If I tried to do this in real life I think my knees would explode.

Owcher!

Peej
#22 at 19:25:21 - 30/09/2007
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
nice vid peej.
really enjoying this, i love just bombing around the city seeing how badly i can hurt myself jumping into traffic :)
#23 at 10:51:02 - 01/10/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
[maven] said:What worked for me, was creating an EA classic account persona, and then linking my gamertag to that classic one here.

Cheers for the link maven, it almost worked but I think I messed it up when my old account and the new one I made had the same email address.. I've mailed support about it.
#24 at 11:33:38 - 01/10/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
My mate managed to fire his character miles with an innocent looking crash.
#25 at 13:24:24 - 01/10/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Trip SkyWay said:My mate managed to fire his character miles with an innocent looking crash.

Most bizarre!!

Must try that sometime...! I think one of the only things I miss in this game are the realistic blood splatters when you get minced.

Peej
#26 at 14:18:22 - 01/10/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Got my tag linked up now, I'll get adding you guys to my friends on the site. That's a nice trick on your video Maven!

It's nice touch that the game adds extra options to the 360 Guide button menu so you can check your friends videos quickly, I've not tried it yet though.
#27 at 11:40:15 - 03/10/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yep add me in, I've got a full welt of 8 clips up there now. Some are good, some are hilarious.

I like the fact you can access friends' clips from within the game too using that Sidekick thing.

Just about getting to the stage where I really can't pass some of the challenges. They're bloody hard going but I will still keep cracking at 'em.

Oh - Skate is the first game that's made me consider getting a new joypad because I think it's ruined my old one

Peej
#28 at 14:05:01 - 03/10/2007
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Is ea's website the worst thing in the whole of creation? Nothing works! Now when I try to log in, it refreshes ... and sends me to the log in page. Tried everything to link my GT. It's complete arse.
#29 at 02:13:33 - 04/10/2007
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I got this mail from EA and managed to get mine sorted, either this or Maven's link might help you get it sorted repairmanjack.

Thank you for writing us at EA Technical Support. I understand that you are currently having issues with viewing uploaded videos for Skate. I apologize for your situation, and the inconvenience that this causes you.

If you have played the Skate demo and have uploaded a video which you wish to view, but are experiencing problems when trying to login or view that video then the following steps will help you in resolving that issue:

Go to www.ea.com and login using the same e-mail address that is associated with your gamertag.

Click on the e-mail address which is now displayed in the upper right-hand portion of your screen.

Choose the My Account option from the drop down menu.

Click on the Personas link located on the left hand side of the screen.
If you see a persona name that indicates that it is an EA Classic Screen Name after it then skip to step 10.

If you do not have an EA Classic Screen Name associated with this account then you'll need to either create one or link an existing one.

If you have an EA.com account that you've used previously and that was created using this same e-mail address then you can use the Link an existing persona option to attach that account to this account that uses your e-mail address. To do this select EA Classic Screen Name from the drop down menu that appears on the link accounts page.

Input the EA account name and password for the EA account that you wish to link to this account then skip to step 10.

If you don't have a previously existing EA.com account then you'll want to select the Create a Persona option from the EA Account Manager screen.
From the drop-down menu select the EA Classic Screen Name option. Enter your desired screen name along with a password for this EA classic screen name.

Now that you've got an EA Classic screen name associated with your account we can continue with linking your gamertag to this screen name at the Gamertag/EA Account Link website.
https://account.ea.com/reg/xbl/gamertag-howto.jsp?site=xbl&skin=ma08&locale=en_UK

This will generate an e-mail to be sent to your e-mail address. Follow the instructions contained within that e-mail to finalize the linking of your gamertag. When you are prompted for an account name and password you'll want to use the EA Classic Screen Name as your account name along with the password for that screen name.

Once that is complete you will then be able to login at the Skate Reel website to view your uploaded video.
http://www.ea.com/skate/skatereel.jsp

Note: The Skate Reel site is currently in beta and may not always be accessible. We suggest if this site is not available to try back at a later time.

If you still experience difficulties please log out, then refresh the webpage, and log back in to your account using your email address and password.

If you have any other questions feel free to reply to this e-mail, and I will be very glad to help you out to the best of my ability.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://electronicarts.co.uk/support).

#30 at 10:29:57 - 04/10/2007

home