The official: Is BioShock really the second coming? thread.

Author Reply
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Let's just play devil's advocate for a little while.

I'm about 4 hours into BioShock now, have just got past the submarine and so far I'm enjoying it I guess. But am I the only one who doesn't think it's quite as brilliant as everyone is making out?

Sure the levels look beautiful and the audio and art style is very very well done, but already I feel I'm stuck in a bit of a repeating pattern. Kill a few splicers, run an errand, encounter a Big Daddy, die using all my first aid boxes, take only 1/3 of its energy, respawn at a VitaChamber, meet Big Daddy again, take a little more energy off him, die, respawn, shoot.....

Apart from the aesthetics it feels pretty much like a.nother FPS and part of me feels that I've somehow been conned into buying this - much like I also did with The Darkness. Yet somehow I completed that and no doubt will this.

If we can keep this thread free of spoilers that would be helpful. So am I wrong and you lot just all jumped aboard the hype train or do I need to play the game a bit more in order to have my eyes opened up?
#1 at 12:46:08 - 30/08/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
You just did a major spoiler in that very post :)

I think it's 9/10 for me. Mostly because I'm so sucked into the storyline and the little mini sub-plots.

Bioshock is a game that will be a different experience for everyone who plays it. You play it like a straight shooter, it's a straight shooter. You start to try and pick up everything, look at all the posters, hear all the diaries, and research all the splicers and stuff, and it turns into something else entirely.

Sure it's an FPS, but if more FPS games were this intelligently scripted, I'd have far more love for 'em all.

Peej
#2 at 12:49:00 - 30/08/2007
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Oh and the hacking games are getting really fucking tedious now.

Tweaked me into to avoid spoilerisationnessisms.
#3 at 12:49:33 - 30/08/2007
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I had the same concerns the more i read about he game before release, i also wonder if the final boss will be any good or a cop out due to developer fatigue? I remember a whole slew of games that were excellent apart from the final levels. I'm crossing my fingers that this isn't the case here.

Also, how much replayability is there in the game? It seems pretty linear.
I'm still buying it of course.
#4 at 12:58:04 - 30/08/2007
quedex
Flag
Comments:171
Thread Kills:49(3%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Jellyhead said:Also, how much replayability is there in the game? It seems pretty linear.

I thought the replayability came from using different weapon sets (guns vs plasmids), or whether or not you harvested the sisters?
#5 at 13:01:23 - 30/08/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Well I'm on an unprecedented 3rd playthrough. On the 360 there's a lot of replayability from the achievements and research stuff, but there's also at least one replay worth doing just to see the different endings, and there's definitely replay value in covering all the little nooks and crannies on the map.

Peej
#6 at 13:06:59 - 30/08/2007
Stevas
Flag
Comments:260
Thread Kills:39(2%)
AATG Pts:195
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm about three hours in, and I'd say it's a solid 8 for me - which equates to "what we should have been getting as standard on this fucking next gen anyway".

It's not the second coming, but for me it HAS highlighted just how much crap we've had to put up with so far. Remember how this generation was supposed to bring us fully realised worlds, packed to the gills with intelligent life? Bollocks. Bollocks, I say. It's brought nothing of the sort. It's brought shinier, faster, (tearier) games, but AI and immersion still takes a back seat. In fact, I'd suggest that it's been shoved even further back than that. It's hanging out the recently shot through rear view fucking window by the nails on its already tiring fingers, complaining bitterly while its mates Grafix and SpeshulFX hammer away with their brightly lit and highly detailed - but not especially smooth moving - spanners.

Or something.

What I mean is, at least these guys have tried. Yeah. That's what I meant. Honest. I think. That is to say, unlike others, who have merely aimed for something that looks EVEN PRETTIER (obligatory ZOMG) on the back of the box, these guys have put quite a bit of love into their game, here. Yeah, the graphics are OMFG DID YOU SEE THAT, but there's a bit more to it - you know? And there's not any frame problems, neither. None I've seen, anyways. Hell it all - they even put an option in that seems just for me, there, with that whole framecap thing. Bless them, for that. Hopefully it'll start a trend. EH UBISOFT? EH? YOU FUCKWADS?

So to recap then: I'm angry. No, wait... how did that happen? That shouldn't have happened. I WANTED to say that it's not "all that" but it DOES make some of the other stuff on the 360 look rather silly - in a "no, look, THIS is what you should be trying to do" kinda way - but instead I ended up spitting my fucking dummy out. Jesus. What am I like, eh?

FUCK YOU UBISOFT
#7 at 13:26:15 - 30/08/2007
[maven]
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:8(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
It's not the second coming, but some plot-things occurring in the 2nd half really improved my impression of the game from an 8/10 to a 9/10, and it's very solid all around.
#8 at 14:00:20 - 30/08/2007
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's an FPS.

But with a cleverly written story, a fully realised world, excellent environments, fantastic voice acting, a huge variety in choices for how to attack/avoid, moral choices, and an atmosphere second to no other game I've played.

9/10 for me, good sirs. And a high 9 at that.
#9 at 14:01:12 - 30/08/2007
Nuttah
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:9(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
la la la not listening!

i'm from the system shock generation. when that came out I fell in love with the whole idea of a FPS with RPG elements. Explore, collect, hear a scary noise/cack my pants and run away etc. Now Bioshock I must admit is a somewhat watered down when you campare it to System shock, although it loses little by doing so. With these sort of games I want to be enthralled by the story, empathic with the characters and scared of the enemies, does this game achieve that? Has to be a yes really.

The only part I couldn't really do is feel sorry for any of the speaking characters, unlike most games they are all flawed in some way (one in particular). In fact the two characters that really don't have a speaking part but are integral to the story are the Big Daddy and to a lesser degree Little Sisters (they speak quite a lot). I never wanted to hurt Mr B, but I really had to in order to progress in the game.

ignoring the art and direction (which most sane people will agree is wonderful) the game holds up on so many angles. It is diverse, engaging and most importantly fun. A solid 10 out of 10 for me.

Oh and I thought you were good at games like this hairy? How are you dying so much?

/searches for a Big Daddy plushie (sp?)
#10 at 14:10:17 - 30/08/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Nuttah said:

/searches for a Big Daddy plushie (sp?)

If you ever find any, let me know, I'd buy one!

/seriously considers getting back into toymaking.

Peej
#11 at 14:24:20 - 30/08/2007
Legion
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I felt the same way at around the same time, Hairy. What you need to do is learn

a) How to take out big daddies without dying

and

b) Only take down the big daddies you need to.

I attacked every single one I came across and loathed the game. However, a few "help request" emails later and I knew the best way to take down big daddies and that I only needed to kick their arse when they're with a little sister.

Basic way of kicking their arse - use your electric shock plasmid to stun them, let rip with appropriate weapons (electric shotgun is great as are any armour piecing bullets), and just cycle through: Shock, shoot, dodge, shock, shoot, dodge, RELOAD, Shock, shoot.

Piece of piss. I've wiped out many a big daddy without getting a scratch!

It's not the perfect game, I think I've yet to play that, but it is a fucking great game. No doubt.

Oh, and the hacking challenges get much harder later on.
#12 at 14:58:35 - 30/08/2007
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Nuttah - I've never been especially brilliant at FPSs. I'm OK and can usually manage on the default difficultly level without too many problems but the Big Daddys keep butt fucking me everytime. Even with 9 first aid packs they just seem to charge at me and kill me most times.
#13 at 15:02:16 - 30/08/2007
Stevas
Flag
Comments:260
Thread Kills:39(2%)
AATG Pts:195
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Wait a minute... he forgot the stars! Hairy, you pillock. Now everything we said was unofficial. Jeez. I just completely wasted an opinion. Thanks a bunch.

FUCK YOU UBISOFT
#14 at 15:59:11 - 30/08/2007
El_MUERkO
Flag
Comments:71
Thread Kills:26(4%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Legion said:I felt the same way at around the same time, Hairy. What you need to do is learn

a) How to take out big daddies without dying

and

b) Only take down the big daddies you need to.

I attacked every single one I came across and loathed the game. However, a few "help request" emails later and I knew the best way to take down big daddies and that I only needed to kick their arse when they're with a little sister.

Basic way of kicking their arse - use your electric shock plasmid to stun them, let rip with appropriate weapons (electric shotgun is great as are any armour piecing bullets), and just cycle through: Shock, shoot, dodge, shock, shoot, dodge, RELOAD, Shock, shoot.

Piece of piss. I've wiped out many a big daddy without getting a scratch!

It's not the perfect game, I think I've yet to play that, but it is a fucking great game. No doubt.

Oh, and the hacking challenges get much harder later on.

I've only killed a couple of big daddies single handedly, most of the time i get them on my side and let them wade into some splicers before setting some sentry turrets on them, mentalism ensues and then a quick grenade finishes things off.
#15 at 16:45:38 - 30/08/2007
Manuel Garcia
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:10(3%)
AATG Pts:120
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The big daddies really are a piece of piss as long as you plan your attack. If you wade in without taking the environment or ammo and weapon type into account, you'll get maimed. Plan when to strike and with what plasmid/weapons however, and you can lay into them without fear.

Check the floor, if water or oil is around wait for them to stray into it and shock or flame them as necessary, then use armour piercing rounds to finish the job. That's just one tactic out of dozens. My housemate likes to plan out a series of proximity mines around their path, whilst my other mate loves using telekenesis to shoot missiles back at them, or barrels etc.

I know I've said this before, but the people not getting the most out of Bioshock are the people that are approaching it as 'just another shooter', and playing as they would in any other generic FPS. All the tools are there for you to create your own fun and your own experience, how much you enjoy it is down to your own sense of exploration and invention :)
#16 at 17:05:00 - 30/08/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Tell you what though - for light relief you really ought to try playing on easy. Big Daddies are total pussies, and even the grenade chucking sentries are crap!

Peej
#17 at 17:24:25 - 30/08/2007
AJ
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:2(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
It's all in the atmosphere. If you let yourself get sucked in to the world things like the average combat and repetition fade in comparison to the fun to be had simply from being there.

Me? I don't think it's as good as the reviews and hype say, no. It's so excessively-hyped it never could do. But I do think its parts add up to a very good game indeed.
#18 at 19:18:36 - 30/08/2007
kalel
Flag
Comments:17
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I have to say, the game really reminds me of Doom3. Thatís no bad thing btw, I really enjoyed Doom3, thought it was really underrated, but the whole level design and general feeling I get from playing it is really similar. The constant feeling of not having quite enough ammo (but actually having just enough) is the same as well.

Itís not quite as jumpy, and has a bit more class to it in terms of atmosphere and story, but not a dissimilar game at all imho.

In terms of the whole second coming thing, I think itís a very good game indeed so far (about 5 hours or so). I personally prefer FPSs like HL2, in that I like going to different locations that have a completely different feel, and outdoor sections and stuff. Iíd say HL2 is probably a slightly better game in my book, but Bioshock is a definite 8/9 out of 10. I likes.
#19 at 20:05:51 - 30/08/2007
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I still haven't read a single review on this. I still think it's the best game I've ever played. There might be games I play more, or have more fun with, but there's nothing to touch the complete package of this. The devil's in the details, for me.

Incidentally, Deus Ex bored the piss out of me. :/
#20 at 20:14:42 - 30/08/2007
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
Obvious statement alert: I think the problem with hype is that it can blind you to how good a game is.

To folk who say that Bioshock is the second coming, I say "get a life".

To those who think it's just another shooter, you lucky buggers :/ - you've obviously been playing shooters that are incredibly rich in atmosphere and backstory, attempt to introduce complex notions & surprises into the narrative, have varied and enaging combat, include beautiful levels of detail in the environments etc etc etc.

Send me the list of these shooters, for the love of God, I want some of what you're playing! :P

Edit: just for clarity, not addressed to anyone in the thread, just those two extreme views that seem to be popping up in comments / forums.
#21 at 22:23:58 - 30/08/2007
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's something I've kept my eye on for quite a while but that's not unusual for some games. The hype, I thought, seemed to arrive pretty much exclusively from the scores it started to get; I certainly didn't see much hype in the normal sense, apart from System Shock fans and the like who knew what these lot had done in the past.
#22 at 00:34:46 - 31/08/2007
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
BioShock just let itself down with the glorified treasure hunt it's got me going on at the moment. It's like Banjo Kazooie all over again.
#23 at 13:55:04 - 31/08/2007

home