Author Reply
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I've just completed the review for Boomtown of Madden 08 on the PS2. I was going to re-write it for AATG in a couple of weeks but I'm doing some other articles for us at the moment and something's gotta slip so...if anyone's interested in finding out what it's like please head on over to My Boomtown review

Hope you don't mind Hairy, if you do feel free to remove this post! Obviously keep AATG open in the background while you read the review! ;o)
#1 at 22:56:32 - 21/09/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
People still buy EA games on the PS2? How quaint.
#2 at 01:32:17 - 22/09/2007
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
ZOMG - blatant pimpage. Someone call the boss.

Oh, wait....
#3 at 01:48:15 - 22/09/2007
Mr J
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:5(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
seeing as folks are being lazy,

you can find my tiger woods 08 review at he same place for ps2
#4 at 03:15:22 - 22/09/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Seriously though, 360s cost about 7.50 these days, will anyone still care about PS2 reviews after Christmas, save a footnote at the end that says 'this is similar on PS2, but it looks worse and doesn't play quite as smoothly'? I could understand it last year when the PS2 versions of a few games were better, but now that the next-gen has hit its stride I can't see online PS2 reviews hitting that rapt an audience.
#5 at 04:32:30 - 22/09/2007
morriss
Flag
Comments:100
Thread Kills:26(3%)
AATG Pts:135
Star Rating
Gold Medal
If a publisher sends you a full game, I'm sure it wants a full review.
#6 at 10:26:23 - 22/09/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
No, I wasn't criticizing anyone for reviewing the games, merely postulating what will happen to PS2 reviews of multiformat sports games shortly - just trying to bring some life to an otherwise dead thread. :)

I can see the point of 'proper' PS2 reviews in some print mags - Official Playstation Magazine, Gamesmaster and the like - but online I'm seeing less and less point.
#7 at 13:19:04 - 22/09/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Can't agree there I'm afraid.

Just because the 'next-gen' is coming down in price (but still well over 200 for a 360 with hard drive, 400 for a PS3 and nearly 180 for a Wii) that doesn't mean to say everyone's going to buy one.

There are about 25-30 people at the place I work who I know are really big in to Video games, some are on here, some are EG'ers, and only two of those have a next-gen system. There are two reasons for that:

1) Those systems still aren't 'affordable items', they are luxury items. When you've got a mortgage to pay spending 200+ on a console when you've already got a console in the house isn't an essential purchase.

2) They've still got loads of games they're still enjoying on the older systems.

I've still got over 40 unplayed classics on the older consoles (Resi 4, Pikmin 2, Viewtiful Joe, Oddworld, Ratchet 2 & 3, Pop Two Thrones, Half Life 2, just to name but a few that pop into memory) and so the 'last-gen' is still very much an important part of my videogaming hobby.

Also because of the next-gen, last-gen systems are now rapidly dropping in price (as are the games) and so families that haven't been able to afford a console can now go out and get a PS2 with 4 games pre-owned for around 50 and new for under 100.

So in conclusion I think the 'last-gen' is still very much the 'current-gen' for most households and reviews will still be very important for them for some time to come. I can't see software houses completely abandoning the PS2/XBOX until next summer at the earliest (probably longer for the PS2) as they're are so many out in the marketplace compared to next-gen systems that they'd be crazy too.

And when the internet has reviews of 'retro' games everywhere which get regularly read, I can't see why people wouldn't want the latest releases still reviewed thoroughly, no matter what system they are on.

What next? No reviews for the GBA because the DS is out?
#8 at 14:03:11 - 22/09/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'd also wager that the highest selling version of both FIFA and PES will be on the PS2 this year as well...I can't see the PS3 and 360 versions outselling it but I could be wrong. At the very least it'll be bloody close!
#9 at 14:07:51 - 22/09/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Like I said km, keep PS2 reviews in mainstream mags, but I don't think Kev the Chav or the middle class family with the parents playing read too many reviews on niche internet sites.

I also said I'd expect this to start after Christmas, as I'm also fairly sure that the PS2 versions of the games would still be the best sellers this year.
#10 at 20:03:29 - 22/09/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Sorry, really not having a go, but I really don't understand that.

I know plenty of 'middle-class families', (that covers pretty much everybody I work with that are interested in games and everybody outside of work that is interested in games), and I only know of one of those that purchases games magazines. The rest all use the internet to do their research.

Why on earth would anyone buy a magazine when they can get the information they want on the internet? And when magazines for the latter machines stop being produced (which is already happening/happened in some cases) then they have no alternative but to used the internet even if they did use to buy magazines.

But we're talking of about a good 12 months left in the old console yet, and plenty of games on the horizon, which all deserve the attention to inform people of their buying decision.

Kev the Chav is also a really bad example as EG is full of the fuckers, so they clearly use internet gaming sites for a) reviews and b) spouting shit and drivel for hours. Just look at any internet gaming site, they're full of 'keve the chav's'. Gamefaqs, IGN, Gamespot, EG, many many more. We're somewhat lucky here at the moment, but you know it will happen at one stage or another.

PS2 reviews are still important, and tbh, I'm not entirely sure I'd call Boomtown a 'niche gaming site' either. It's got quite a large reader-base for example.

I suppose I just can't understand why you think there's room for PS2 reviews in magazines (which people have to pay to buy and also cost a lot to produce which therefore require huge sales to cover their costs) but not on internet sites when the information is instantly accessible for free. I really can't understand that.
#11 at 20:16:28 - 22/09/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Fair enough. Maybe it's just the difference in anecdotal evidence - no-one that I know that I would class as a 'casual gamer' would even think about reading about games on the internet, but they might flick through a magazine in Smiths. There might be a fair number of numpties on EG, but how many regular users does the site have compared to how many copies FIFA will sell? And they're the biggest gaming site in Europe, supposedly.

"PS2 reviews are still important, and tbh, I'm not entirely sure I'd call Boomtown a 'niche gaming site' either. It's got quite a large reader-base for example."

I'd call all gaming websites niche, with the probably exception of Gamespot and IGN. You surely wouldn't call Boomtown mainstream, would you? How many people who you see in GAME on a Saturday would have heard of it? I hadn't even heard of it until someone on here posted about a review from one of you guys on it.
#12 at 21:28:42 - 22/09/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
PS2 games are still selling very well aren't they?

Bearing in mind the mass market is made up mainly of people with either not enough money after bills or they have no next-gen console because their parents won't buy them yet, reviews on older consoles will get a fair amount of interest for now.

Teenagers are probably the main market for these reviews now, or people waiting for a decent price drop.

Whether they will be reading in another year or so is very different.
#13 at 21:35:20 - 22/09/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
ilmaestro said:Fair enough. Maybe it's just the difference in anecdotal evidence - no-one that I know that I would class as a 'casual gamer' would even think about reading about games on the internet, but they might flick through a magazine in Smiths. There might be a fair number of numpties on EG, but how many regular users does the site have compared to how many copies FIFA will sell? And they're the biggest gaming site in Europe, supposedly.

There is a difference between 'readers' and 'registered users' though. The vast majority of people I know that use it (again, work and family/friends) aren't registered, they just read the reviews and have no need to join the 'community'. I'd suspect that readers vs registered users is probably at least 5 vs 1.

I'd call all gaming websites niche, with the probably exception of Gamespot and IGN. You surely wouldn't call Boomtown mainstream, would you? How many people who you see in GAME on a Saturday would have heard of it? I hadn't even heard of it until someone on here posted about a review from one of you guys on it.

Hmmm, not mainstream no. But then I wouldn't call all gaming sites niche. Somewhere in the middle perhaps but I don't want to split hairs.

I just think that the PS2 is still a very important part of the industry and it will take far longer this time around for people to convert to the newer machines (apart from the hardcore that is). The games cost more, the machines cost more and there's all sorts of issues surrounding them (people complaining that there's not much good stuff on the Wii, the XBOX's blowing up and the PS3 being incredibly expensive and having bugger all out for it at the moment). Plus with such an extensive back catalogue and other 'last-gen' systems now dirt cheap, some people might actually decide to buy an XBOX to add to their PS2, or a Gamecube to add to their XBOX, rather than pay hundres on a console that they'll only use sparingly after work or at the weekends and know full well that waiting a couple of years will make the machine very affordable.
#14 at 21:54:52 - 22/09/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
You're probably right. Maybe I'm just not in touch with the current state of internet usage. Maybe I just dislike the internet that much, or wish that gaming was still a very secluded market that still somehow turned a profit. ^_^

Are there any PS2 exclusives still due for release in the West? I know that the multiformat releases will continue past the point of sanity (ie. past the point at which the games will actually improve on the old hardware) like they did with the PS1, in fact probably even moreso.
#15 at 22:05:41 - 22/09/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'm not entirely sure mate. I think there are still some 'exclusives' left but what I think we'll get before long are multiformat releases, games from publishers/developers who have already been developing a game for the PS2/XBOX/Gamecube and don't have the resources to upgrade it to the next gen machines, and games that probably otherwise wouldn't sell well on the next gen yet due to limited owners (for instance how many JRPG's could the PS2 sell vs the PS3?)

#16 at 22:09:52 - 22/09/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Well, I know that there are a few RPGs scheduled for PS2 exclusivity in Japan before the year is out, but even in that genre (which I agree would be the most obvious benficiary of still releasing on the last gen consoles) there are virtually none scheduled for next year vs the number scheduled for the current gen consoles.
#17 at 22:11:54 - 22/09/2007

home