Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm working in a school helping children with special needs/learning difficulties, and I've been asked to come up with a few ideas for activities the kids can do during lunchtimes (so they can be out of the way and not getting picked on, etc). One obvious suggestion is a gaming club - providing they do "more healthy/wholesome" hobbies as well. (Many of these kids are fascinated by games, but come from pretty poor backgrounds and don't have access to them.)

I have a room and a TV, but very little budget - and the tenuous approval of the powers that be. I've been asked to cost this up... and it looks like I'll get the go ahead, providing it costs next to no money. I reckon I can get the funds for a few bits of second-hand software, provided
the outlay on hardware is kept to a minimum. I'm hoping to get the school to spring for a couple of GH guitars and some party software... but does anyone know the absolute cheapest way to blag/buy a console?

Or are there any offers to donate one...?
#1 at 17:49:03 - 26/09/2007
Mr J
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:5(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
still have my old one lying around, it got to a point where it wouldn't power on. Little light came on but no whirring up.

I'm led to believe that this is a simple fix, all it needs is a new power board (10 off ebay) and a bit of patience and know how on how to replace it.

Obviously i never did it as i just bought another one.

Dunno if it would be any use but i'm happy to pass it on if you think it might?
#2 at 19:58:06 - 26/09/2007
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Much obliged. I posted this on EG as well... and we've had a very kind offer of a donation. Actually rather touched by the response. Except by one person who I'd like to wish a hearty punch in the throat.

Cheers, Mr J.
#3 at 20:14:41 - 26/09/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Are there any local retail outlets close to you that might want to donate one with a couple of games for some organised PR in the local newspaper? That should work especially if you've got an independant games retailer operating in your area, especially as it's for special needs kids.

Guitar Hero controllers though? Wouldn't they be a bit advanced? I used those in the work gamer league I run and about 3 people out of the 22 in the league managed to complete the song, the rest found it very frustrating as they needed quite a few goes to get good at it.
#4 at 20:15:06 - 26/09/2007
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
If anyone here mods for EG too, would they mind keeping an eye on the duplicate thread I put over on EG? We've had some kind offers of help, but it's starting to attract the odd tard.

It's called "Help! Need advice on blagging a PS2 for a school."

Cheers.
#5 at 12:23:34 - 30/09/2007

home