Peggle - and other forms of gaming crack


Author Reply
djchump
Flag
Posts:503
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
ZOMG!

Peggle is the absolute bomb! :-D

It's mad - so simple, but so undefinably rewarding.
But completely and utterly dull and shit without the sound. Seriously, play it with sound, it needs the sound. Without it... meh.

Puzzle Quest was similarly simple and awesome on the DS, so what other guilty pleasures are out there that I need to try?
#1 at 16:11:40 - 15/10/2007
Razz
Flag
Posts:151
Comments:37
Thread Kills:6(4%)
AATG Pts:70
Star Rating
o_O

What is peggle djc?
#2 at 16:15:19 - 15/10/2007
djchump
Flag
Posts:503
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
PEGGLE!

Play with sound and discover a brand new hole to throw spare time into. and a skateboarding beaver. and happy rainbows. and awesomeness. :-)
#3 at 16:18:20 - 15/10/2007
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Posts:1599
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw sums it up nicely...

Gaming Crack
#4 at 16:33:05 - 15/10/2007
djchump
Flag
Posts:503
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Tiger_Walts said:Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw sums it up nicely...

Gaming Crack

Yup - he's bang on you know. :-)
#5 at 16:46:09 - 15/10/2007
Toast
Flag
Posts:29
Comments:0
Thread Kills:4(14%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
You're not kidding about gaming crack.

I bought Orange Box, and the PopCap Essentials pack at the weekend. Have been playing Zuma, Peggle and Bookworm Adventures almost constantly ever since.

Haven't even loaded Portal or EP2 yet...
#6 at 19:40:03 - 16/10/2007
Rhythm
Flag
Posts:3297
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
For anyone that's not tried this yet, it's free through Steam if you own an Nvidia GFX card

Linky
#7 at 12:00:09 - 14/01/2008
Retroid
Flag
Posts:3760
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ah, Peggle's a Popcap game, is it?

What's it stolen from, then? :P
#8 at 13:10:14 - 14/01/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Wait, you mean it's not free normally?
#9 at 13:44:00 - 14/01/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Posts:3297
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
ilmaestro said:Wait, you mean it's not free normally?


Nah, it's at least a tenner
#10 at 14:03:40 - 14/01/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Cripes! Whenever I've seen this I thought 'free flash game, probably paid for by flashing adverts'. Even after I read something about it in EDGE I didn't realize it would be that expensive.

Isn't it meant to be a casual game for the non-gamer (not speaking to the quality, more the marketing)? How can they sell it for a tenner?
#11 at 14:28:35 - 14/01/2008
terminalterror
Flag
Posts:270
Comments:5
Thread Kills:23(9%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
Peggle is indeed awesome. There is a decent demo on the popcap website (limits the levels rather than imposing a time limit).

From the official website they want 14.95 for the full version!
#12 at 15:53:40 - 14/01/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Fuck that! o_O

It looks mildly diverting, but 15 for a casual downloadable game is taking the pith, imo. Warhawk for PS3 is only 20!
#13 at 16:14:53 - 14/01/2008
djchump
Flag
Posts:503
Comments:1
Thread Kills:17(3%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
ilmaestro said:Fuck that! o_O

It looks mildly diverting, but 15 for a casual downloadable game is taking the pith, imo. Warhawk for PS3 is only 20!

Yeah, don't bother going thru the official popcap site cos it's a pisstake on the price.

The free version on Steam for Nvidia owners is "Peggle Extreme", which is a cut-down version (i.e. less levels, cahllenges etc.) of Peggle that has been skinned for Orange box - i.e. HL2, TF2 themed levels etc.

The full version of Peggle is about 5 if you buy through Steam... which is about right for me, I've easily had more than 5-worth of fun from it ;-)
#14 at 17:25:48 - 14/01/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, a fiver might make it more interesting.
#15 at 19:12:57 - 14/01/2008
Retroid
Flag
Posts:3760
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Grabbed Peggle *XTREME* \m/ from Steam earlier thanks to my crappy Nvidia card, haven't tried it yet.

If I'm disapointed I'll kill Yahtzee then all of you.

Just so you know.
#16 at 07:46:29 - 15/01/2008
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Posts:2048
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Rhythm said:For anyone that's not tried this yet, it's free through Steam if you own an Nvidia GFX card

Linky

Arg that page says a free bit of Portal fro me, If I grab steam can I still get Peggle free?
#17 at 08:18:28 - 15/01/2008
Retroid
Flag
Posts:3760
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yup;

Half Life 2: Deathmatch
Half Life 2: Lost Coast
Portal: First Slice
Peggle Extreme

Obviously I've only bothered with the last one :)
#18 at 09:53:54 - 15/01/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Posts:3297
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Retroid said:Grabbed Peggle *XTREME* \m/ from Steam earlier thanks to my crappy Nvidia card, haven't tried it yet.

If I'm disapointed I'll kill Yahtzee then all of you.

Just so you know.


You tried it yet?
#19 at 11:06:48 - 15/01/2008
Retroid
Flag
Posts:3760
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
A game?

On a PC?

Are you some kind of madman? ;)

(Not yet)
#20 at 12:36:37 - 15/01/2008
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Slitherlink and Scrabble on the DS are my gaming crack, even if the DS version of Scrabble features some of the most cheaty-arsed BASTARDS alive...
#21 at 13:01:47 - 15/01/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Posts:3297
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:Slitherlink and Scrabble on the DS are my gaming crack, even if the DS version of Scrabble features some of the most cheaty-arsed BASTARDS alive...


I have Slitherlink on my phone but I don't get the attraction :-/
#22 at 13:19:55 - 15/01/2008
Retroid
Flag
Posts:3760
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I picked up Gunpey for PSP for a fiver at the weekend... it's defiantely growing on me. I really rather like it, although I'm pissed that the (assumed) amount of music means the crunched down ISO is still over 500 megs on my memory stick :/
#23 at 13:24:51 - 15/01/2008
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Posts:2048
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Rhythm said:
peej said:Slitherlink and Scrabble on the DS are my gaming crack, even if the DS version of Scrabble features some of the most cheaty-arsed BASTARDS alive...


I have Slitherlink on my phone but I don't get the attraction :-/

Slitherlink on the DS is great, spent a very long time in my DS. Kept me amused on many a train journey.
#24 at 13:28:56 - 15/01/2008
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Slitherlink's just nice and simple stuff. Not sure what the appeal is either but it ends up with me just fancying a quick go to nab one more of the grids and clear 'em and ending up on the bloody thing for hours.
#25 at 13:47:36 - 15/01/2008
quedex
Flag
Posts:1413
Comments:171
Thread Kills:49(3%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
peej said:Slitherlink's just nice and simple stuff. Not sure what the appeal is either but it ends up with me just fancying a quick go to nab one more of the grids and clear 'em and ending up on the bloody thing for hours.

The appeal is usually down to the way the puzzles are designed. I've tried plenty of god-awful machine generated ones and some made by non-clue-owning humans, and they're all tedious adventures in goat appendage sucking. On the other hand, there's just something perfectly satisfying about the Nikoli created ones (who also provide the puzzles for the Hudson Puzzle Collection series).
#26 at 21:49:21 - 15/01/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Retroid said:I picked up Gunpey for PSP for a fiver at the weekend... it's defiantely growing on me. I really rather like it, although I'm pissed that the (assumed) amount of music means the crunched down ISO is still over 500 megs on my memory stick :/

Why not complain to Sony? ^_^
#27 at 22:55:39 - 15/01/2008
speedofthepuma
Flag
Posts:11
Comments:3
Thread Kills:1(9%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Trip SkyWay said:
Rhythm said:
peej said:Slitherlink and Scrabble on the DS are my gaming crack, even if the DS version of Scrabble features some of the most cheaty-arsed BASTARDS alive...


I have Slitherlink on my phone but I don't get the attraction :-/

Slitherlink on the DS is great, spent a very long time in my DS. Kept me amused on many a train journey.


Not as good as picross though...
#28 at 23:05:24 - 21/01/2008
Retroid
Flag
Posts:3760
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
ilmaestro said:
Retroid said:I picked up Gunpey for PSP for a fiver at the weekend... it's defiantely growing on me. I really rather like it, although I'm pissed that the (assumed) amount of music means the crunched down ISO is still over 500 megs on my memory stick :/

Why not complain to Sony? ^_^

:P

I really like the game (especially for the price I got it for) but my 4gb stick is getting cramped. How the yo-ho-ho brigade manage I have no idea, I've got hassle with my own collection fitting ;p
#29 at 06:45:13 - 22/01/2008
HairyArse
Flag
Posts:6388
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
#30 at 22:21:43 - 17/03/2009

home