Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
The Witcher 2 - PC

Picked this up for a pittance in the last Steam sale and wasn't even sure if my laptop would run it at a playable speed. It did and I was treated to a fantastic game. The Witcher 2 does have a reputation of being an extremely difficult game but I played it through on easy and found it played very much like an action RPG. This was great for me as I could focus more on the superbly written story without worrying about the combat spoiling my fun.

I can't wait for the third game next year.
#331 at 16:31:11 - 22/08/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Completed 2 games over the weekend:
Bioshock Infinite
While Columbia backs the impact of Rapture and the Vigors are no match for the Plasmids of the previous games, the inclusion of Elizabeth through the bulk of the game, really made it for me. She was a decent compaion who really helped drive the story along, with the added benefit that you don't need to worry about her during combat.

The story did get a bit confusing in the final section and it certainly lacked the shock value of Bioshock 1's 'twist'

Overall, a worth addition to the Bioshock series, but probably not quite as good as it's predecessors. I'm off to play the Brial at Sea DLC now.

Velocity 2X
One of the PS+ freebees for September and one of my favourite games I've played ina while. The straight sequel to Velocity Ultra, see you pilot a Quarp Jet across 50 scrolling levels. Action is frantic and fast paced, as you shoot, warp and menuver your way through each level. The addition in 2X are the 2d platforming sections - these have been brilliantly implemented. Controls are tight and responsive, with the whole thing feeling so slick and fluid.

The game also looks fantastic on the Vita, with no hint of slow-down or judder.

A definite must play on either Vita or PS4.
#332 at 12:33:24 - 08/09/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I really like V2X but I really don't get on with the controls. I agree they are responsive, but the mapping just feels wrong to me. I know it's difficult for them on the Vita with only two shoulder buttons and one of the main gameplay styles (the on-foot shooting) requiring both sticks at times, but changing between the two is clumsy, there's no getting away from it.

Quite possible to get used to it of course, I'm just fairly picky about control setups. :)
#333 at 14:55:45 - 08/09/2014
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Star Rating
Silver Medal
nekotcha said:I really like V2X but I really don't get on with the controls. I agree they are responsive, but the mapping just feels wrong to me. I know it's difficult for them on the Vita with only two shoulder buttons and one of the main gameplay styles (the on-foot shooting) requiring both sticks at times, but changing between the two is clumsy, there's no getting away from it.

Quite possible to get used to it of course, I'm just fairly picky about control setups. :)

I know exactly what you mean, but it is something you do adapt to and soon don't even think about it.

I finished The Walking Dead: Season 2 this morning - probably not quite as good as Season 1 for me, in terms of story and choices, but still one heck of a rollercoaster of emotion.

I also regret some of the choices I made in Episode 5 meaning that I don't like the ending I got, so may go back to change them...?

Surely there'll be a season 3, won't there?
#334 at 13:42:46 - 09/09/2014
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
inFamous First Light - PS4

I reckon it took me about 7 hours to polish off everything in the campaign mode and I've still got to attempt the arena challenges. I think Sucker Punch missed a trick in not making First Light their main inFamous title. Fetch is a much more likeable character than Delsin and her story is more interesting too. I also think First Light benefits from having only one power for Fetch, with neon definitely being my favourite from Second Son. I'd highly recommend picking this up.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - PS4

This beats Brotherhood to be my favourite AC game. I love the setting, the naval battles and the sense of exploration. Edward Kenway is such a great character. It is a shame he is only getting one game! My only bugbear with the game is the number of the tailing/eavesdropping missions does become a bit tiresome after a while.

I also picked up Freedom Cry, played it to completion and it is just as good as its parent game. In fact I'm very tempted to pick up Rogue in November rather than Unity as I prefer navigating the open sea to running around a city.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - PS4

Absolutely stunning game. It takes the parkour of Assassin's Creed and the combat of the Arkham games and does both better. Great fun from start to finish. The Nemesis system works really well and the Orc's hierarchy will evolve with or without your interference. The voice acting is superb and the Orcs will taunt you mercilessly if they best you in battle. The combat is easy to get to grips with but always provides a challenge. Wade into the middle of a stronghold to take on an Orc War Chief without scouting his weaknesses and things will rapidly get out of hand.

Definitely a must buy game.
#335 at 20:26:05 - 31/10/2014
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I'm with you on Shadow of Mordor - enjoying it greatly right now, much more than any recent Assassin's Creed.
#336 at 14:56:28 - 01/11/2014
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Call of Duty - Ghosts - PS4

Really liked the Michael Bay campaign (even if it was a by the numbers COD SP). The story of the US invasion was a bit better in Homefront but here the gameplay just pushed the game to another level (it's what you should expect from some many years perfecting the formula).

The only part I didn't like was the helicopter part, just couldn't get on with the controls.

Looks good and plays good.

The campaign was around 5 to 6 hours (it didn't overstay its welcome with unnecessary padding).

8/10
#337 at 17:10:28 - 28/12/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Contrast - PS4

I wasn't expecting much from this as it didn't review terribly well, but as it turns out I really enjoyed it. Starting with an ingenious core mechanic - you can transform to a shadow at will, enabling you to traverse walls using the shadows cast onto it as platforms - the game applies some wonderfully neat twists, exploring and stretching the concept in some surprising ways.

It's also got a great soundtrack (your mileage may vary depending on how much you like your jazz), and I liked the art style too, although the characters are rather less impressive than the world itself.

It can be quite clunky in places - the controls lack the subtlety you get in AAA titles and the animation can be quite glitchy. More seriously the art style doesn't always suit the puzzles - I get the feeling that a simpler, more abstract style would have suited the game better, and as a result some of the puzzles (which often involve moving objects to cast shadows on the walls in just the right place) can be more finicky than is ideal.

But overall, I really enjoyed the experience, and at three hours or so it doesn't stick around too long for the negative aspects of the game to really grate. To me it represents what indie games are all about - it might lack polish but the ideas alone make it a compelling experience.
#338 at 18:31:46 - 01/01/2015
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Deadly Premonition - PS3

I think the best mark of quality for this game is that I actually finished it.

Just to get one thing out of the way: the combat and driving sections (essentially all the action) are boring.

But the narrative sections more than compensate for it. It's unashamed with its blatant Twin Peaks homages, but really that's the fun of it. And the story is genuinely good, if tongue in cheek.

It doesn't really take itself seriously enough for me to become attached to any of the characters, but it was sad saying goodbye to a few at the end (including the main character).
#339 at 20:59:14 - 03/01/2015
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
LEGO Batman 3. Needed a walkthrough for a couple of really obtuse bits but by and large we worked our way through okay. Completed it with my 7 year old, who has pestered me to buy Marvel Superheroes now :)

It's the first LEGO game I've played properly and I found it really good fun. Now it's all about rescuing Adam West and unlocking all the remaining characters :D
#340 at 09:40:31 - 05/01/2015
Haisuli
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
FlexibleFeline said:I'm with you on Shadow of Mordor - enjoying it greatly right now, much more than any recent Assassin's Creed.

It took a lot of the "danger" out of the game - you could happily rush into a room all guns blazing and not care because dying didn't cost you anything.

#341 at 10:28:37 - 09/01/2015
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
To The Moon

Nice script, funny in the right places, and genuinely touching.

For the first act it's mainly about seeing a lifelong love story in reverse, and there was nothing particularly gripping about it (I was really worried that the story didn't get much deeper).

But then act 2 & 3 you're hit with the enormity of what you're trying to do, and whether it's the right thing or not.

My only gripe is it could have been a little more fun to play, because all you really do is move your character through it, and that doesn't seem the best use of the medium.

Nice short game, takes only about 4-5 hours. Well worth a try. The ending will stay with you for a while.
#342 at 19:18:05 - 07/02/2015
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Link Between Worlds

Best Zelda game I've played in a long time. I enjoyed being able to rent items and being able to tackle each dungeon in whatever order you want. The reduced length of each dungeon was also nice.

I didn't bother do beat the final boss…
#343 at 16:36:24 - 09/02/2015
Dragul
Flag
Star Rating
Killzone Shadow Fall PS4

Beautiful, at times stunning, graphics with a fun (at least most of the time) gameplay.

It had some difficulty spikes and the train station level was just stuppiddly frustrating to navigate... Even entering the trains was most of the times a awful experience.

The start guns (ISA guns) just didn't have a punch and felt like they were toy guns, on the other hand the Helgast guns for the most parts were just fun fun fun!!! :D

For the most part (in my opinion) a very good launch game!

7/10

Assassin's Creed Bloodlines PSP

It's a game that shows the limitation of every design of the PSP (only one analog, the slow and constant load times, big cities with little population) but it also show that sometimes a good game design isn't limited by the platform.

The combat was fun, it played like its big brothers for most of time and the story was interesting and easy to follow (at least for an AC game).

The checkpoints are really well spread through ou the game.

The boss fights where for most of them well balanced.

The game looked like a PS2 game but after almost 6 years it shows that the PSP could have been much more if the franchises designs had been adapted to mobile gaming instead of trying to bring the living room to your pocket.

In the end I had fun with it.

6/10
#344 at 23:34:12 - 13/02/2015
Dragul
Flag
Star Rating
Battlefield 4 PS4

Amazing graphics and a superb gameplay tweaked to be extremely fun.

Unfortunetly the story felt a bit meh altough this time the friendlies were easy to relate to except one characther.

The online high scores with the unlockable guns also was a great adition even if it felt a bit out of place on a single player war simulator.

The lenght of the campaign seamed ok, like COD Goshts it didn't stay until it was unwelcomed.

If only the story was better...

8/10
#345 at 19:59:07 - 15/02/2015
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I didn't actually PLAY it but I did watch the story scenes for Nier Gestalt (I mean I would've preferred the prettyboy Nier Replicant version but I can't find a full playthrough with subtutles and anyway the Gestalt main character makes more sense I suppose).

Really I just wanted to see why everyone raved about the story, but knowing the game was average I didn't feel like making the effort of playing it.

Anyway, the story does suffer from "We must collect 3 X's, one from each dungeon" syndrome to start with, so that's a major hurdle.

I think it's the endings that really have everyone praising the story. But the particular ending twists are actually pretty common ones (spoilers: bad guy was doing it all for love and is no different from you, you were a clone all along, you were acting out the bad guy's plan all along, humanity are the real aggressors and the bad guys felt threatened all along) and have all been done before and better.

But the characters are nice. The King of Facade is a pretty straightforward noble guy, but he's so likeable, I wish there was more of him. Emil is so cute, I genuinely felt bad when he (spoiler: gets disfigured).

Nier himself is a self-confessed big-dumb-brute. I wonder how his character is any different in the Replicant version where he's still a teen. Him being a dad to the damsel in distress (rather than the brother) does feel a whole lot more natural. It can be a bit sickly how much he cares for his daughter (and The Last of Us does it way better), but he's tolerable.

Spoilers: There's one fancy ending (the final ending, I believe, once you've beaten the game for the 5th time) that you only see if you agree to delete all your save progress (and with it any trace of you ever having finished the game before). I think the plot reason for it is contrived, but the gimmick itself was very clever.

Glad I at least saw the story, also glad I didn't invest time playing it.
#346 at 23:57:08 - 09/04/2015
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Finally (after years of trying) finished Jak and Daxter 1. What a bastard of a game.

Now to move on to Jak 2 which I have attempted multiple times and given up half way.
#347 at 10:13:32 - 10/04/2015
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Managed to play and complete The Order: 1886. Lovely looking game, pissawful QTEs

Wonder when (if) we'll see the rest of it!
#348 at 13:40:07 - 10/04/2015
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
NewYork said:

You should give the soundtrack a listen. It's pretty good.
#349 at 17:39:19 - 10/04/2015
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Syrok said:
NewYork said:

You should give the soundtrack a listen. It's pretty good.

Well in fact I had been listening to the soundtrack before I decided to watch the game itself.

I find VG soundtracks really good as background noise for working/studying.

I was quite enjoying the soundtrack but as soon as "Emil (Sacrifice)" came on I had to see the game.

You're right, it's very good!
#350 at 17:27:37 - 11/04/2015

home
Left