Careers Advice - Leaving somewhere amicably.

Author Reply
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
OK so I'm very bored at work and feel myself stagnating and reckon it's time to move on. I've applied for 4 jobs all of which I reckon I could do no problem, however I'm slightly anxious and concerned about if I actually get one.

Where I work now is a small company where everyone knows each other and I pretty much get on with everyone (though there are some office politics that annoy me somewhat, but that's a story for another day).

Anyway, I'm anxious because handing in my notice will probably be right in the middle of some rather large projects I'm working on. It's far from an ideal time. But they've let these projects drag on for so long due to their own mismanagement, so I'm not really to blame.

So does anyone have any tips on how to leave amicably? I'm prepared to continue the projects in my own time (paid of course) because I know it will take someone too long to get upto speed, but also because I know they're not prepared to pay the proper wages for actually doing this job and don't want to leave them completely in the lurch. If they were a big faceless company then I'd have no problems just leaving, but as it's a smaller close knit company I feel bad.

But then again, do they feel bad for paying me peanuts? I guess not.

ARGGHH.
#1 at 12:34:34 - 06/11/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Hmmm

Well your talents are definitely wasted there. Depends though, if you want new challenges new responsibilities etc, they should understand that you want to take your career forward...

Peej
#2 at 12:40:39 - 06/11/2007
Legion
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
This is an easy one. Tell them you're applying for jobs now. Honestly, it's the best approach. Have a meeting your your/the boss and explain your issues (you want to progress your career, feel this have stagnated, would like more responsibility, better recognition in the paycheque), say that you really enjoy working here and would hate to leave them in the lurch which is why you're forewarning them that you are looking at other possibilities. Also explain that you're happy to continue to help out of hours should you find another position.

Your boss will likely be shocked that you're leaving, but will appreciate the advance notice. He'll then have the choice to act to try and retain you or find a replacement in time (which he wouldn't be able to do should you hand in your notice tomorrow).

Because it's a small company and because they rely on you there's little risk in this approach - they're not going to turn around and say "well just f**k off now then" because they'd be screwed.

I took a similar approach last time I changed jobs - explained that I had an interview, and just wanted to be upfront with my manager about it. He really appreciated it and I left on good terms.

#3 at 12:48:30 - 06/11/2007
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Sounds like you've given them more than you've been paid for, so they can hardly complain when you decide to look for something else, and even more than that, they owe you, not the other way round. It's hard leaving somewhere close-knit but anyone who starts making you feel bad for leaving, or making out that you'll be responsible for projects going wrong by doing so isn't playing fair. It's the job of a manager to account for people leaving and ensure the project can get done in spite of that, so it's their responsibility, not yours.
#4 at 13:51:35 - 06/11/2007
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Legion said:This is an easy one. Tell them you're applying for jobs now. Honestly, it's the best approach. Have a meeting your your/the boss and explain your issues (you want to progress your career, feel this have stagnated, would like more responsibility, better recognition in the paycheque), say that you really enjoy working here and would hate to leave them in the lurch which is why you're forewarning them that you are looking at other possibilities. Also explain that you're happy to continue to help out of hours should you find another position.

Your boss will likely be shocked that you're leaving, but will appreciate the advance notice. He'll then have the choice to act to try and retain you or find a replacement in time (which he wouldn't be able to do should you hand in your notice tomorrow).

Because it's a small company and because they rely on you there's little risk in this approach - they're not going to turn around and say "well just f**k off now then" because they'd be screwed.

I took a similar approach last time I changed jobs - explained that I had an interview, and just wanted to be upfront with my manager about it. He really appreciated it and I left on good terms.

I'd say thats the best advice to be given frankly. I am, or will be in a similar situation in the event that my girlfriend is moved to a different country. As long as they feel you are being honest with them, then they can't really hold it against you. Besides it sounds like they're lucky you're still there in the first place.
#5 at 15:14:12 - 06/11/2007
Lutzie
Flag
Comments:58
Thread Kills:19(2%)
AATG Pts:120
Star Rating
Silver Medal
MH has hit the nail on the head. Be upfront and honest withthem, and so long as you're not working for a complete bunch of (inserrt expletive of choice here) then they'll either sort you out pay/work wise, or make it a smooth transition for both parties.
#6 at 17:56:36 - 06/11/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm curious, how have you handled getting references without upsetting them or making them assume you are leaving no matter what?

I'm in a similar position to you Hairy but have no idea where I want to go next or what I want to do.
#7 at 20:01:42 - 06/11/2007
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Well I haven't got references yet and won't do so until I'm offered a job.
#8 at 20:57:27 - 06/11/2007
Legion
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
HairyArse said:Well I haven't got references yet and won't do so until I'm offered a job.

/rolls eyes

People ask for advice and than flat out ignore it and take the easy route...

;)
#9 at 22:10:00 - 06/11/2007
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Ha, I've taken note of all your advices. What I meant is that I'm not going to offer my boss' name as a reference until he at least knows I'm looking for other jobs. And besides, he's in China for 2 weeks so I can't do anything until he comes back.
#10 at 22:27:31 - 06/11/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Sent out my CV to some company that have decided to try and headhunt me (talk about great timing) without any reference names on it...Is it supposed to feel this good to (possibly) turn your back on 4 years worth of work? :)

Having company directors seemingly pretty desperate to tie me to the company (by paying for my course) for the next 3 years is quite nice too.

/is almost happy for the first time in 3 weeks
#11 at 00:30:19 - 21/11/2007
smoothpete
Flag
Comments:6
Thread Kills:3(1%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Do a shit in a mug and say "here I made you a coffee". They'll get the hint.

Or do what M_H suggested

;)
#12 at 14:55:28 - 21/11/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've just moved companies. I approached it like this:

"Hey, [boss], the other guys are paying me more for a day less per week, can you match that?"

"No."

"See ya!"
#13 at 19:52:45 - 21/11/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hard to argue with that. For some reason I feel an undue level of loyalty to those I work with and I have no idea why.

Just found out the job I'm going for could pay me from 0-60% more than I'm getting now without a lot of the hassle of the company not having a clue what the department I'm in now will be doing in a couple of weeks, let alone months.

Slightly reluctant to become a "consultant" but for that money and the role, it's extremely hard to resist. I'm in a bit of a rut too which should be good to get out of.

Sorry for kind of hijacking your thread Hairy :)
#14 at 20:33:31 - 21/11/2007
Legion
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I've just found out that the costs cut from mine and my colleague's overtime last year went straight on to my bosses pay-packet in the form of a bonus and a car allowance - paid because he'd been able to cut costs.

/head explodes

CUNT.

So, I'm also casually looking at jobs.
#15 at 21:22:45 - 22/11/2007

home