Author Reply
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've only ever written one letter of resignation before and that one meant nothing to me. Due to recent work changes it looks like I need to write one and this one is very hard for me to write. Can someone read over the following and tell me if it's okay? I want to put something in about giving a lot for them and also being lied to about my future but don't know how to do it well.

I don't usually do emotion other than angry/happy/neutral so this one feels like I've been hit in the gut hard :'(

Thanks.

Bosses name,

I have enjoyed working for you and with the team for the last three years and have learnt a lot from you but I feel that it is time for me to move on. I believe there is a lot I can offer the company but it has become apparent to me that I'll never be given the chance to prove that or make full use of my skills – maybe my ambition surpasses my ability but that's something I need to prove to myself.

You've helped me develop as both a person and as an employee, for that I'll always be grateful.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

#1 at 22:31:49 - 06/12/2007
Khab
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:5(14%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
Can't say much about the content, but you might wantto end it with a formal resignation sentence - ie "Because of this, I hereby resign as bla bla blah."?
#2 at 23:02:59 - 06/12/2007
Inquisitor
Flag
Comments:2
Thread Kills:2(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Sniff sniff, it's a real tear jerker ;_;

Sounds a little bitter though? I assume you've talked about the lack of upwards movement to your boss already though so it's probably warranted.

Maybe take out "I believe" to "to myself" and perhaps put in something about being offered a better job elsewhere. As you've talked to your boss about the lack of opportunities already I don't think there is necessarily a need to lambast him.
#3 at 23:10:38 - 06/12/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Thanks guys, I'll make sure I put in the formal sentence bit - it's a good idea.

I want the part about why to be in but I certainly don't want or mean it to sound bitter, just disappointed - I've been promised promotion and increased responsibility for two years; structural changes and others getting promoted because they threatened to quit otherwise mean that can't happen now.

I'll have to try and rework that bit.
#4 at 23:32:57 - 06/12/2007
duncan
Flag
Comments:19
Thread Kills:21(9%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
In that case a trace of bitterness should be in the letter ;)

Obviously you should date the letter and state the terms and dates of the notice you intend to work.

Dump the 'maybe my ambition......' bit out, after all I suspect that nice guy attitude is why you've ignored.
Instead just state that you'll be exploring other opportunities to advance your career and yourself.
#5 at 03:50:03 - 07/12/2007
MetalDog
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:7(3%)
Star Rating
I've only ever written one of these, when I was about 17 or 18 and I signed it off,

yours (but not for much longer)

You probably don't want to do that. =) What you do probably want to do is work out how much holiday you have left and make sure they pay you for it.
#6 at 06:31:02 - 07/12/2007
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I feel your pain Micro. I recently found out about an internal policy they have where I work where miserable, grumpy employees are promoted with the idea that the promotion will make them happy. Whereas happy, pleasant employees don't need a promotion.

O_o
#7 at 08:44:49 - 07/12/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I've only ever written one formal letter of resignation but it had the word "cunts" in it.

Peej
#8 at 09:53:36 - 07/12/2007
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
Star Rating
peej said:I've only ever written one formal letter of resignation but it had the word "cunts" in it.

Peej

:D although at the time it was probably :( I have no idea how to do an angry sweary smiley.

I also agree that the ambition part should be left out.
#9 at 09:57:05 - 07/12/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yeah the ambition bit has nothing to do with your current employer. If they've kept you where you are for that long, they obviously don't give a fig about it.

The "Cunts" letter I wrote was to head office at EB.

I didn't get a reply. I was a bit sad about that, I wanted to see how they'd deal with a sweary letter of resignation.

Peej
#10 at 10:02:17 - 07/12/2007
Harry
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:18(2%)
Star Rating
Funnily enough the only resignation later I've written was when I worked at EB. And it featured the following line.

"I hereby resign from my position at Electronics Boutique due to xxx (area manager's name) being a complete twat."
#11 at 10:29:51 - 07/12/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Heh you too then.

Dunno who your area manager was, mine was a dickwad called Simon Pook. He actually firmly believed that I wanted a career with 'em. Poor deluded sod.

(later had the satisfying episode of frenching his girlfriend at a drunken staff do and finding out he was only on about 20 grand a year, oh how I laughed)

Peej
#12 at 10:31:40 - 07/12/2007
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
To be honest, I think your resignation letter should just mention that you want to resign.

Dear so and so,
I hereby inform you that I am resigning from the company as of date XYZ.

Regards,

you

You can then get into the why and how of it on your "exit interview" have a frank discussion with your boss, HR, etc. before you leave.
#13 at 10:39:13 - 07/12/2007
Harry
Flag
Star Rating
peej said:Heh you too then.

Dunno who your area manager was, mine was a dickwad called Simon Pook. He actually firmly believed that I wanted a career with 'em. Poor deluded sod.

(later had the satisfying episode of frenching his girlfriend at a drunken staff do and finding out he was only on about 20 grand a year, oh how I laughed)

Peej

It was a silly cow who knew nothing about games, the people who bought games or the industry at all. She'd previously worked in women's clothing retail.

I slagged her off in a CTW article a couple of years later which caused consternation at EB head office!
#14 at 11:21:32 - 07/12/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Oh weird, they must've liked hiring from the clothing industry because that's where the manager who took over in my last few weeks came from. And he knew nothing about games either, and looked like he was on smack.

And yep, predictably, was fucking shite at his job!

Peej
#15 at 11:28:06 - 07/12/2007
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Harry said:
I slagged her off in a CTW article a couple of years later which caused consternation at EB head office!

o/
#16 at 11:56:27 - 07/12/2007
Harry
Flag
Star Rating
Actually I slagged the whole company off from above store level up to the board.

Lots of store managers thought what I'd written was ace, everyone above that level was pissed off.

EB cancelled its subscription of CTW because of this - so I was told.

And at the time its editor was a certain Kristan Reed.

But as I was a freelancer supplying content via an other company I worked for I am never sure I heard the full story or the correct one. Them ditching CTW was probably unrelated.
#17 at 11:59:51 - 07/12/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Harry said:Them ditching CTW was probably unrelated.

Knowing EB, it was a cost-cutting exercise. They even made us use IZAL in our staff loo. I mean how inhuman was that. First paying us less than Maccy D employees THEN making us use tracing paper for bog paper!

Peej
#18 at 12:21:59 - 07/12/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:I've only ever written one formal letter of resignation but it had the word "cunts" in it.

Peej

:D
#19 at 13:23:26 - 07/12/2007
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
HairyArse said:I feel your pain Micro. I recently found out about an internal policy they have where I work where miserable, grumpy employees are promoted with the idea that the promotion will make them happy. Whereas happy, pleasant employees don't need a promotion.

O_o

It's not that different - I was shown an internal review (by the director) of all the people in the department in terms of quality of work, potential, behaviour etc. and I was top out of the entire department of over 200 people, including management.

I guess being a 'nice guy' isn't going to get me any further here but I refuse to start shouting or issuing ultimatums to get what I want from them which seems to be the only other option.
#20 at 13:30:16 - 07/12/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
You resigning will probably ensure a payrise at least is offered.

I got sacked three times from my last job, and I resigned four times. Each time it ended up with my dickhead of an MD phoning me up, telling me to come back, ignore what he'd said and some more money was thrown at me.

He was the most obnoxious prick I've ever met, so taking more of his money was always nice, until I just couldn't put up with him anymore.

True story, his 'Operations Director' would shout across the office (whilst people were on the phones) 'Bring me another boy...I've split this one' and then laugh hysterically for minutes afterwards. Wanker.

He even offered me shares to stay in the end, so I can see a payrise at least being offered Micro, sounds like you deserve one at the very least.
#21 at 13:49:42 - 07/12/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'd like to be writing mine to be honest. Moving our web site over to a CMS system is something I'd rather not be involved in thangyewverymuch.
#22 at 13:58:04 - 07/12/2007
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I've never had the opportunity to write one, I've only had 3 full time jobs in the 21 years I've been working and I was made redundant with the first two!
#23 at 14:01:38 - 07/12/2007
Stevas
Flag
Comments:260
Thread Kills:39(2%)
AATG Pts:195
Star Rating
Gold Medal
So what's the problem?

Dear fuckface,

I hereby tender my resignation, on account of you deciding to move the web site over to a CMS system, and this being something I'd rather not be involved in,

thangyewverymuch

WPOR

PS. FUCK UBISOFT WHILE YOUR ON
#24 at 14:03:20 - 07/12/2007
DocX
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:9(6%)
Star Rating
I prefer to use song lyrics:

Either

Take this job and shove it. I don't work here no more!

or

I ain't gonna work for no soul sucking jerk. I'm gonna take it all back and I ain't sayin' jack.
#25 at 14:50:37 - 07/12/2007
eviltobz
Flag
Comments:68
Thread Kills:15(5%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
i got to write my letter of resignation t'other day and like sal mentioned it was just a single line saying i resign, due to finish at the end of the year.

it was very very pleasing to do :)
#26 at 15:21:43 - 07/12/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Gits.
#27 at 15:47:48 - 07/12/2007
boabg
Flag
Comments:13
Thread Kills:52(4%)
AATG Pts:65
Star Rating
I've written one and it was about two sentences long. Said everything I wanted to.

Took my holiday entitlement as my notice period and walked out the door.
#28 at 15:51:19 - 07/12/2007
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I altered the text slightly, the first and last parts are optional, and may reduce chances of getting a good reference.

Dear Bollockchops,

I have enjoyed working for you and with the team for the last three years and have learnt a lot from you but I feel that it is time for me to move on. I believe there is a lot I can offer the company but it has become apparent that I'll never be given the chance to prove that or make full use of my skills.

In my time here I have developed as both a person and as an employee, for that I'll always be grateful, so it is with regret that with this letter I offer my resignation.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

The guy who's fucking your wife (and your daughter).
#29 at 18:56:57 - 07/12/2007
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
If you're just going to leave it in his in-tray to find and not discuss it with him before hand, you might want to put the resignation bit near the front. How about (and correct any grammatical errors, I've got a headache and brain-dumping in between squinting):

Dear Sir

I am writing to advise you of my intention to resign from (company name) on (date).

During the past three years I have learnt a lot from you personally and have enjoyed working for you and with the team. However it has become apparent to me that opportunities for me here are restricted and that, in order for me to enhance my career development opportunites, now is the time to move on.

I feel that I have more to give than my current role enables me to do and I have a lot of ambition to develop myself, both in personal and career terms.

I would like to thank you for helping me develop both as a person and as an employee and wish you and (company name) great success in the future.

Yours

Micro
#30 at 20:21:55 - 07/12/2007

home