Author Reply
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Comments:25
Thread Kills:6(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
So I watched this new trailer this morning and yet again I'm reminded of my total indifference to these games. I'm genuinely interested to know what the appeal is (and by that I mean to anyone who isn't a 16 year old boy who plays them "cuz yous can nick cars n shoot ppl up innit" :)

I tried playing Vice City a few years ago, and although I thought the 80s setting might draw me in a bit more than any of the other GTA games would I still found it mind-numbingly boring.

Next in this series "Why on earth does anyone watch boxing?"

/looks at boxing thread

Inevitably followed by "How to alienate all your friends in two easy steps".
#1 at 15:20:01 - 07/12/2007
moggsy
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
I really enjoy the flying.

The general atmosphere of the game added to by the music, radio stations, locations and characterisation is great too.

I also like the fact that there are many ways of completing the same mission. Sand box gaming at it's greatest.
#2 at 15:25:41 - 07/12/2007
disusedgenius
Flag
Comments:10
Thread Kills:13(2%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
1) They're amusing
2) The cities are great for exploring

But generally you need to put something into it to get much out of it.
#3 at 15:29:21 - 07/12/2007
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I guess it was naive to expect some insight into the appeal of these games, the disappointing truth is just that I don't like the present day setting and all the gangster/guns/cars stuff.

I knew that of course, I just thought I might be missing something. I suppose, as with most games, if the atmosphere and setting don't draw you in then the gameplay won't do anything for you either.
#4 at 15:34:04 - 07/12/2007
moggsy
Flag
Star Rating
Does the setting really matter that much when fun is the name of the game.

I mean in what other game can you dress up as James Bond, use a jet pack to reach the top of a skyscraper and then use a parachute to base jump?

Does it really matter that the game has a gangster influence when you can have fun like that? I'm just hoping the latest game hasn't got too serious and still retains the fun element.
#5 at 15:42:37 - 07/12/2007
disusedgenius
Flag
Comments:10
Thread Kills:13(2%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Dr.Haggard said:
I knew that of course, I just thought I might be missing something. I suppose, as with most games, if the atmosphere and setting don't draw you in then the gameplay won't do anything for you either.

I'd go along with that to be honest. It's all about the atmosphere for me.
#6 at 15:43:41 - 07/12/2007
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I liked it - but not for the reasons Doc mentioned. See, this is why I think that the GTA series has two levels of appeal.

1) yep indeed, it appeals to kids who like waving magnifying glasses around ants nests

2) it's actually seeing a developer try their best to emulate a living breathing cityscape, and somehow tease enough interest out of a game based around it.

Put simply, Rockstar are still the only company who seem to manage to give you a sandbox with more than one toy in it at a time. So many games have been and gone that have tried to do the living breathing cityscape, and still nothing's beaten the sense of this in GTA. Not saying that the series is perfect, but at its best it's so bloody immersive and all encompassing that you forget its foibles, annoyances and you also forget the sort of person it appeals to at a baser level.

The boxing? Naw, sorry, can't agree with anyone who thinks boxing is a sport...

Peej
#7 at 15:45:52 - 07/12/2007
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:
The boxing? Naw, sorry, can't agree with anyone who thinks boxing is a sport...

I'm not alone o/

moggsy said:
Does it really matter that the game has a gangster influence when you can have fun like that?

Actually yeah, as DG said above it's all about the atmosphere for me. I just don't get any enjoyment out of games that don't completely draw me into their world, and it has to be a world I find appealing in some way. A modern day city, no matter how well simulated, isn't somewhere I want to escape to.

A recent example would be Assassins Creed which I'm completely smitten with, or Mass Effect, whereas GTA does nothing for me. You could argue, as Peej has, that Rockstar do a fine job of simulating a living breathing world, but it still leaves me cold.

That immersion is so important for me that any flaws in the gameplay itself are dulled somewhat, because I just love being there. That can't make something like Gears of War seem great, but it elevates AC above far more critically acclaimed games for me.
#8 at 16:04:35 - 07/12/2007
moggsy
Flag
Star Rating
Yep, each to their own.

Personally I nearly had tears in my eyes when I played Liberty City Stories on the PSP. It brought back great memories of the hours of fun I'd had in the original GTA III game on the PS2.

It really did feel like returning to a familiar, much loved, place.
#9 at 16:36:55 - 07/12/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Ditto.

Loved that about it - that it was one of the few game settings that felt like...dunno...home I guess.

Tooling around a much improved liberty city was fantastic, specially on a bike.

This time though, it's going to be odd. A weird mix of the real and the surreal. Even as a virtual tourist I think it's already ticking all the right boxes for me.

interesting weirdness about GTA3: A colleague at work used to let his 10 year old daughter play it. Before anyone goes nuts and says "how very dare he" - she used to actually drive around the city, not doing anything horrible, stopping at all the red lights in the car, pretending to indicate etc...

Was quite a strange thing to see but quite "cute" in a way.

Peej
#10 at 16:50:38 - 07/12/2007
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Have to agree with most of the sentiments above. I don't see GTA as a 'gangsta' game, rather a city where you can mess around, drive cars, listen to music and savour the atmosphere. And occasionally shoot a few mobsters in order to earn some money.

Though I have to say that mission design is not one of its strongest points, certainly not in the games I've played. If GTAIV can improve that aspect of the game, as well as implementing proper 3rd-person shooting controls, then the game will most likely be stunning.

K
#11 at 17:10:50 - 07/12/2007
moggsy
Flag
Star Rating
@ peej

And when he left the room to get a drink she'd jump out of a car and gun down a prostitute shouting 'Die whore, die!' and then get back into the car in time for him to return to his 'cute' daughter...
#12 at 17:11:26 - 07/12/2007
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
moggsy said:And when he left the room to get a drink she'd jump out of a car and gun down a prostitute shouting 'Die whore, die!' and then get back into the car in time for him to return to his 'cute' daughter...

GLOL and tea spitting moment!

Peej
#13 at 17:13:11 - 07/12/2007
moggsy
Flag
Star Rating
peej said:
moggsy said:And when he left the room to get a drink she'd jump out of a car and gun down a prostitute shouting 'Die whore, die!' and then get back into the car in time for him to return to his 'cute' daughter...

GLOL and tea spitting moment!

Peej

I could just imagine it though :-)
#14 at 17:20:07 - 07/12/2007
WOPR
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:42(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Crackdown has killed GTA for me.
#15 at 17:50:01 - 07/12/2007
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm struggling to muster any enthusiasm for this one, but I actually felt that way about San Andreas as well, and wound up playing nothing else for 3 months.
#16 at 18:59:03 - 07/12/2007
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I have the special edition pre-ordered and have already warned my boss I'll be taking a week off when it comes out.

I think it's safe to say I'm looking forward to GTA IV!
#17 at 19:19:36 - 07/12/2007

home