Author Reply
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Hey Guys,

is there some kind of location manager for windows on a laptop? I work at several different locations and it would be useful if I could tell my laptop to use specific details for each location. Details such as outgoing smtp servers being different in Outlook etc.

Anyone got any suggestions?
#1 at 10:18:09 - 20/12/2007
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
Dunno, sorry. Mail server settings are stored in the mail app, so to switch them you should just need to switch accounts (but I'm not familiar with Outlook) but to switch, for example, network gateway, you'll need to use the control panel, since that's part of the OS.

That said, since you seem to be a primarily MS shop, there might be something to change Outlook and OS settings at the same time.
#2 at 12:43:59 - 20/12/2007
pauleyc
Flag
Comments:14
Thread Kills:10(7%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
The Lenovo (former IBM) Access Connections software is great if you just want to change the network/connection related details (IP, DNS settings, prefixes and suffixes, proxies etc.). It *should* probably work on non-Thinkpad laptops anyway.
#3 at 12:54:00 - 20/12/2007
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Someone told me that its possible on Macs. sigh

The problem is, that I need it for my technically not very savvy boss. So changing things round manually all the time isn't as simple for him. I could continue the manual route.

Most of it is outlook settings due to differing outgoing servers.
#4 at 16:32:24 - 20/12/2007

home