Author Reply
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Gah - went online to check my bank balance, and some toerag has pinched 600 out of my account. I was trying to eke out my last 120 for another couple of weeks, and now I'm 500 overdrawn instead.

My bank do not operate an instant refund policy, so I now have to fill in a load of forms and wait 15 working days to get my money back.

Their bloody fraud department phone me when they want to check out a 12 debit from my local off license, but then don't bother to phone when Western Union in Ireland withdraw 600 from the bloody account.
#1 at 20:48:27 - 10/03/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
JimJam said:Western Union

Why do any banks process transactions of this nature without checking them out first? As soon as you hear "Western Union" you think "Nigerian scammers".

Damn bad luck, JimJam, hope the refund process goes smoothly.
#2 at 21:41:35 - 10/03/2008
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Cheers mate - I think the biggest joke of the night was when the woman in the fraud department tried to sell me Identity Theft insurance. I pointed out that since this is the second time I've had my account pilfered in the last year, that they should maybe be offering it for nothing. They also said that since I have a 600 overdraft limit, they weren't going to credit my account until the investigation was complete.

Annoyingly I never even open those sorts of scam emails, so I'm not sure where my details have been pinched from.
#3 at 22:13:17 - 10/03/2008
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
That's a bit crap. :-(
#4 at 20:35:07 - 11/03/2008
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Oouch, that sucks.

I was sent a letter recently by my credit card company saying that my card was about to be cancelled and would I please apply for a new one due to security concerns. Great. I assume it means they found my number and details in a database it shouldn't have been in.

I hope they cough up the lot.
#5 at 10:25:16 - 12/03/2008
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Damn, I've been lucky so far and only had about 20p taken from mine for some reason.

Has anyone heard of National Credit Union Administration? They sent me an email claiming someone has set up a bank account in my name which would be impressive because the email address is a 'dummy' one anyway (made up name, DOB etc.). It's obviously a scam thing but I've never heard of them and their website looks legit.
#6 at 23:24:08 - 12/03/2008
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
JimJam said:Cheers mate - I think the biggest joke of the night was when the woman in the fraud department tried to sell me Identity Theft insurance. I pointed out that since this is the second time I've had my account pilfered in the last year, that they should maybe be offering it for nothing. They also said that since I have a 600 overdraft limit, they weren't going to credit my account until the investigation was complete.

I'm not sure if there is any point in the ID insurance - mine do the checks anyway and refund if someone has tried to steal some money from the account/charge to the card. They still sell the insurance though.
#7 at 23:26:50 - 12/03/2008
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Micro_Explosion said:
JimJam said:Cheers mate - I think the biggest joke of the night was when the woman in the fraud department tried to sell me Identity Theft insurance. I pointed out that since this is the second time I've had my account pilfered in the last year, that they should maybe be offering it for nothing. They also said that since I have a 600 overdraft limit, they weren't going to credit my account until the investigation was complete.

I'm not sure if there is any point in the ID insurance - mine do the checks anyway and refund if someone has tried to steal some money from the account/charge to the card. They still sell the insurance though.

M_E, which bank is that with ? After a series of letdowns with my bunch over the years (Barclays), this is the last straw for me, and I'll finally bite the bullet and move banks this time.
#8 at 02:05:15 - 13/03/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've had no problem the twice this has happened to me with HSBC, but that was with a credit card which they are far more willing to sort out quickly, compared with a regular bank account.

That said, I've had other problems with HSBC, so I wouldn't exactly bend over backwards to recommend them.

If I was switching, I'd go for Natwest, just to see if they're customer service really is as good as they advertise, I'd certainly love to have call centers where the line wasn't so bad that I can barely hear a word the assistant is saying.
#9 at 05:04:51 - 13/03/2008
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
JimJam said:
Micro_Explosion said:

M_E, which bank is that with ? After a series of letdowns with my bunch over the years (Barclays), this is the last straw for me, and I'll finally bite the bullet and move banks this time.

That was with Lloyds - they've done it with both debit and credit cards for me before. I only use my CC online now though since I got in the habit of using it.

They did block it after I used the PSN store for the first time because it didn't 'fit' with my normal spending pattern but they unlocked it instantly after I phoned to clear it.
#10 at 19:46:05 - 13/03/2008
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Cheers chaps - I think anyone will be an improvement !

Good call about using CC online only though M_E. Stops actual cash disappearing.
#11 at 02:20:49 - 14/03/2008
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
When I bought a laptop for over a grand, online, using my debit card the bank didn't bat an eyelid.

I was actually surprised at the time it went through.
#12 at 17:13:44 - 14/03/2008
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Hurrah - got all the money back yesterday :)
#13 at 11:52:32 - 21/03/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
That's great news JimJam.

Hopefully they won't let it happen next time at all though. That's better than refunding the money, for everyone (other than the crims, obviously).
#14 at 22:55:11 - 21/03/2008
d0ugi3
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:13(12%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Ever tried Credit Union?

There not too bad.
#15 at 11:10:37 - 22/03/2008

home