#91 at 16:50:53 - 08/07/2008
Nuttah
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:9(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Does anyone want to give MGS4 online a go? I've not tried it myself yet.
#92 at 18:39:52 - 09/07/2008
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Nuttah said:Does anyone want to give MGS4 online a go? I've not tried it myself yet.

Just got this today so I would be up for some online action. If you see me online then give me a shout. In game XMB FTW!
#93 at 18:43:58 - 09/07/2008
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'd love to but it's actually not as simple as you'd think. In fact, I've singularly failed to get into an online game every single time I've tried.

Pity. It looks bloody awesome (I did actually manage to get a local single player game of MGSonline going against ghostbots but it's not the same)
#94 at 18:59:02 - 09/07/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I would also love to, but will have to wait for them to (hopefully) release the standalone version of MGO thanks to their ridiculous attitude to which region's servers you connect to.
#95 at 21:16:52 - 09/07/2008
reddevil
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
I'll possibly be on tonight. Feel free to add me since the FL was upped to 100. PSN ID is reddevil93
#96 at 22:29:12 - 09/07/2008
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:I'd love to but it's actually not as simple as you'd think. In fact, I've singularly failed to get into an online game every single time I've tried.

No problems here. I got online no bother at all. The only thing that took time was setting up the Konami and Game ID.

Just had a quick blast tonight. I played some DM/Team DM and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was surprised at how well the MGS control system works online. And Peej is right about the graphics; they look just as good online as off :-)

I look forward to seeing you guys online soon.
#97 at 01:49:33 - 10/07/2008
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'd love to play some MGO, though I'm yet to figure out which servers I'm on.
#98 at 03:12:13 - 10/07/2008
Nuttah
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:9(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I did try this last night. Thought about messaging Sil but decided I wanted a vague clue first.

Quite a few modes available. Tried TDM and DM and unlike Sil I wasn't particularly impressed. Perhaps its the PC elitest in me, but I feel underwhelmed by it all. These modes have been done better on other platforms.

Where MG online shines though are in the snake and team snake modes. First one is great, basically one person is Snake (with octocamo!) and has to disable everyone/ complete objective. If there are many people on the opposing side, then Snake gets MG markII (played by a character) to help.

Team snake, is basically the same thing, except everyone on one side gets MG markII invis, and only has stun capabilities. Little annoying at times with the (enemy sees one of you, they can all of you for 5 seconds) but its mucho fun anyway :)
#99 at 13:23:23 - 10/07/2008
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Obviously a busy day for XBLA news, was out for most of it and then playing Halo 3, so here's what was talked about:

Geometry Wars 2:
"Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2" (Bizarre Creations Ltd./Activision). The latest version of the frenetic retro shooter, "Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2" debuts exclusively on Xbox LIVE Arcade in 2008. Newcomers and pros alike will be blown away by the screen-melting intensity and insane new features, including six action-packed gameplay modes, new enemies, scoring strategies and a diverse list of exciting Achievements. "Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2" also supports multiplayer mayhem for up to four players, with versus or co-op modes, and features razor-sharp 1080p graphics and new, pulse-pounding music.

IWANTIWANTIWANT

Screenies (different to EG's):

IGN hands-on of GW2

Galaga Legions:
"Galaga Legions" (NAMCO BANDAI Games). The arcade shooter "Galaga" has captivated players all over the world, and now the legend lives on with "Galaga Legions." Featuring table-turning game dynamics, updated graphics and vast waves of ferocious enemies, "Galaga Legions" was created by the same team that developed the best-selling "PAC-MAN Championship Edition" for Xbox LIVE Arcade. "Galaga Legions" will debut exclusively on Xbox LIVE Arcade in 2008.

I'm suddenly far more interested in this. I loved Pacman CE!

Screenies:

And here's the XBLA section of MS's conference!
#100 at 04:21:55 - 15/07/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I think you've got the wrong thread, matey. ;)

I'll c&p into the appropriate.
#101 at 04:37:27 - 15/07/2008
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'm obviously more tired than I thought....!
#102 at 04:45:56 - 15/07/2008
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Best thread to ask:

I was looking at the MGS4 trailer and got to thinking: this is one of those rare games that makes it cool to play as an old man. And that's not trivial - it means a lot for representation in an industry that seems focused on characters that are young, straight, white, shaven-headed, hoodie-wearing males.

So: are there any other games (not fighting games, there's plenty of old men in those) that have you playing as someone as old or even older than Old Snake? Or is MGS4 really a milestone in this regard?

Obviously I'm talking biological age, here, as technically Snake is still chronologically young in MGS4.
#103 at 01:11:08 - 30/05/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
'Tis a good question. Idea for a feature, hm?

Anyway, the odd beat'em'up has had older fighters, like Gen in SF or Heihachi in Tekken. The same is probably true for RPG's although I struggle to think of any examples that appear to be older than about 30 or 40 (like Balthier in FFXII). Kaim in Lost Odyssey is technically very old (seeing as he's immortal and all) but again appears to be only about 30 - and tbh I think the case where the protagonist appears to be very old is more interesting since it's another example of how limited the industry's concept of what an 'appealing' main character is.

Another - even more difficult in my opinion - question along similar lines is whether anyone can think of any games where you play as an older woman. Aside from the cackling old lady stereotype you run into every so often in RPG's I really can't think of any older women in games at all.

/Starts "Joanna Lumley for starring role in next Halo" campaign
#104 at 13:25:58 - 30/05/2009
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
The Killer 7 dude? How old is the guy in the wheelchair?

/never finished it.
#105 at 13:43:46 - 30/05/2009
Funkyd
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:10(3%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
That was weird, just loaded this thread and the font was a lot larger than usual. Was fine when I refreshed though. Anyway, I have to say I never really noticed the lack of elderly protagonists in the video game industry. Can't think of very many myself. What age was Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell? Obviously not very old, but relatively aged all the same.
#106 at 23:58:58 - 30/05/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, Sam Fisher is one of the older characters. Again though I probably wouldn't put him at older than his early thirties, and this is the thing - the videogame age range seems to top out about there, it's like people in their 40's, 50's and beyond don't exist.
#107 at 15:02:07 - 31/05/2009
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Balthier is old but only by JRPG standards. It's a bit like Auron from FFX, the dude is considered an old guy, but he's only like 40-ish.

I honestly can't think of a single protagonist as old as Old Snake, and amazingly, Old Snake ended up an awesome character.

I wonder if anyone will take that same risk anytime soon.
#108 at 16:22:38 - 31/05/2009
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
A lot of original gamers are already in their 40's, or at least pushing 40, so there's plenty reason to have older protagonists. Right now most mainstream games seem to be aimed at ADD teens with anger management issues who want machismo/steroid overdosed jerks who only pause from slaughtering things to crack out low-quality potty mouthed one-liners, though.
#109 at 17:54:41 - 31/05/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
To be fair with most games still being of a fairly action-oriented nature you can kinda see why the characterisation of most protagonists veers towards the younger, fitter archetype.

But I think it goes deeper than that - there's definitely an inclination within the industry towards younger characters because, I suspect, of a deep-rooted perception that players will find them more appealing. For instance, the rumour that Balthier was going to be the main character in FFXII until SquareEnix decided he was too old to appeal to gamers.

Given that most gamers are still younger than 40, is this a fair assessment of the market or a bit of an oversimplification? Another thing that really stuck with me about old Snake is that you can see during the game how the rigours of being in combat are just too much for his old body, with the way he groans and arches his back for instance. Personally I found this only made the character more appealling (and the danger he was in more palpable) but it's easy to see most devs and publishers not even considering such an approach because it would make their heroic main character appear 'weak' (which is a pretty backward approach to characterisation but I've seen enough of the way publishers think about these sort of things to believe this is still the attitude held by many in the industry). You gotta give it to Kojima - he might not be able to write a coherent story but he's light years ahead of most in the industry as far as the possibilities of the medium go.

Oh yeah, and another old main character - Doctor Kawashima? :)
#110 at 18:02:00 - 31/05/2009
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Trophies

Bronze You enjoy all the killing, that’s why. Killed many enemies in one area, and vomited.
Bronze Divine Wind Caused a “divine wind” using the Tanegashima.
Bronze Hands Up! Held an enemy soldier at gunpoint and performed a body check.
Bronze Emotion Control Controlled an enemy soldier’s emotions using an Emotive Magazine.
Bronze Hurt me more! Shocked an enemy soldier using Mk. II/III.
Bronze Drum Can Addict Knocked an enemy soldier flying using a Drum Can.
Bronze That Tune Is His Mind Control Music Played Oishii Two-han Seikatsu and made one of the BB Corps dance.
Bronze Overhead view — just like old times… Used overhead view on Shadow Moses Island.
Silver SUNLIGHT! Obtained the Solar Gun.
Silver I Just Don’t Fear Death Caused ALERT status while wearing the Corpse Camo.
Silver Where I Can See Ya Located enemy soldiers using the Scanning Plug.
Silver Ghost Photography Addict Snapped at least 5 shots of ghosts on Shadow Moses Island.
Silver FaceCamo Addict Obtained 10 or more types of FaceCamo (excluding types obtained via password).
Silver Can you feel my power now!!!? Took control of an enemy soldier’s body using the Mantis Doll or Sorrow Doll.
Silver Are you an Otaku too? Viewed all model posters.
Silver You’re pretty good. Got kissed by Ocelot during the final battle.
Gold Flashback Mania Viewed all flashbacks.
Gold Sounds of the Battlefield Obtained all iPod® tracks (excluding tracks obtained via password).
Gold I am THE expert on weapons, equipment and cutting-edge technology. Obtained all weapons (excluding weapons obtained via password).
Platinum The Legendary Hero Obtained all trophies.
#111 at 11:22:18 - 04/08/2012

home
Left