Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
A non-negative post about gaming from me! \o/

What's your favourite gaming platform of any time period? Handheld, home computer, arcade, console, doesn't matter which you choose, just tell us what represents your own personal "golden age" of gaming.

For me it was probably the ST. I'd had an Atari 2600 and an Amstrad CPC464 beforehand but the ST is where things really got good for me. It had its problems, sure (those joystick ports were a mess) but as a gaming platform I couldn't fault it.

The first game I played on it was Carrier Command. It was also the last I played before I threw it away a few years ago. In between I got sucked into the likes of Flood, an amazing text-based hacking game that I can't remember the name f (it was a precursor to Uplink), Dungeon Master, Populous, Powermonger and many many more.

2nd best I'd probably go for the Xbox, although it's the console that started me off on my current jaded path.

3rd would be SNES
#1 at 15:42:28 - 18/09/2008
Carrybagma
Flag
Comments:34
Thread Kills:17(8%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
1. Amiga 500
2. DS
3. 360
#2 at 16:05:58 - 18/09/2008
quedex
Flag
Comments:171
Thread Kills:49(3%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Rhythm said:For me it was probably the ST. I'd had an Atari 2600 and an Amstrad CPC464 beforehand but the ST is where things really got good for me.

I think I'm beginning to understand why you hate gaming... ;-)

Whilst I could probably manage to pick out the best from each gen, I'm not sure I could pick out a favourite of all time. The problem is that I tend to have specific games (or genres) that I like, and the platforms are just the devices that enable me to play them. If I was forced to choose, I would have to be lazy and pick something like the PSP because it lets me play most of those games either by itself or though emulation. But that would be cheating, kindof :-)
#3 at 16:06:49 - 18/09/2008
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Definitely the SNES for me.

For a start it's home to my all time favourite game - Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. Plus of course the likes of Mario World and the All-Stars collection, Secret of Mana and Mario Kart.

I remember sinking hours into games like Street Racer, Pilotwings, Illusion of Time, Plok! and countless others too.

I also really liked the control pad.

2nd would probably be the PS2. There are some real classics on there which is a big reason why I'd buy a PS3 if it had BC.

3rd DS. Even though I haven't brought a game on it for close to a year now, I still have a collection of games that I enjoy playing. Mario Kart, Picross, Tetris, Phoenix Wright, etc.
#4 at 16:07:23 - 18/09/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
quedex said:
I think I'm beginning to understand why you hate gaming... ;-)

Watch out, Bill Door'll 'ave ya! ;-)

Besides, I don't hate gaming. When it goes right on modern machines, it goes really really right - Test Drive Unlimited was out and out one of the best games I've ever played, as was Oblivion, and SKATE just blew me away. Trouble is, you know how Uncanny Valley dictates that the more realistic graphics get, the more jarring any small flaws become? That doesn't just apply to graphics. Gameplay and interaction with the "world" starts to be subject to the same hyper-criticism too

If I was forced to choose, I would have to be lazy and pick something like the PSP because it lets me play most of those games either by itself or though emulation. But that would be cheating, kindof :-)

I almost made the Xbox my first choice because of that same reason ;-)
#5 at 16:12:06 - 18/09/2008
Lutzie
Flag
Comments:58
Thread Kills:19(2%)
AATG Pts:120
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Saturn or Megadrive. Both golden ears.

However, t'other day this sprung up too, and I thought that on the MD I had far more games than I do now; however only 2 or 3 were absolute gems. More gems today, but much more shite too.

Still, the day I can mod a machine like the 360 or PS3 to run Saturn emus is the day I finally start to yo-ho-ho.
#6 at 16:24:04 - 18/09/2008
Salaman
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:88(7%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Nintendo game & watch.
Is that even a platform?

It was one of the first games I had (very first was an odd console which you could plug into the TV and play pong on) and I have fond memories of those games although they are actually really crap to play when you try them now.

#7 at 16:25:04 - 18/09/2008
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Hmmm....

/Rubs chin

1) C64: The first 'proper' home format I owned (C16 was too niche, and Vectrex was crashing as part of the US videogame market crash) and I dabbled with *everything* on it, from machine code, music, cracking, demos, pretty much any game genre I could get my hands on if it got good reviews. Also had a load of mindblowing games from the US on disk too, including my original (and complete) copies of Rocket Ranger and Zak McKraken & The Alien Mindbenders. Oh, and Little Computer People. Project Firestart. Maniac Mansion. Paradroid. Wizball....

/Dreamy eyes

2) Xbox: by the point of this machine's release I was well on my way to giving up on PC gaming (Dreamcast was the first proper kick to that) and I ended up getting a load of truly excellent games because of that. Original Xbox games - like Ghost Recon 2, Panzer Dragoon, Halo 2 etc. were also Bloody Impressive for the hardware in the box. Softmodding just enchanced my appreciation of this machine with emulators usable with no hassle from my sofa and a standard joypad, and then my recent purchase of a surprisingly chipped Xbox from eBay for a fiver has meant I've been able to install most of my games collection on the hard drive and I've started playing through games which I'd bought but hadn't given the proper time to.... and it's surprising how the addition of an ingame reset button combination on the pad has made when I've wanted to play / watch / listen to something else :)

3) 360: for the number of excellent games I've bought on it, and the arrival of XBLA which has provided some of my favourite games of this generation... games you know would've died a very quick death if released on retail disk for 20, let alone full price. The last generation of releases had several examples of that type of certain-to-die-in-retail gaming, so it's been bloody welcome to see them come back and see more success than they otherwise would've.

4) Amiga: Ah, excellent Amiga. Pissed on that rubbish ST thingy ;p
#8 at 16:46:20 - 18/09/2008
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
1/Amiga (showed me how good home computers could be after cutting my teeth on the Spectrum), and so much better after buying a secondary disc drive !

2/360 - an extension of a brilliant debut console. Needs KoTOR though.

3/Dreamcast - pointed the way back to consoles for me after several years of PC gaming (and spending a small fortune constantly upgrading whilst doing so). In a strange way introduced me to the EG forum and by extension this place, as I found my ebay auction selling all my DC stuff linked in an EG forum thread.
#9 at 17:10:48 - 18/09/2008
Stevas
Flag
Comments:260
Thread Kills:39(2%)
AATG Pts:195
Star Rating
Gold Medal
/Also had an Amiga

And I'd place it pretty low on the list, to be honest. And still an american country mile ahead of an ST.

Are we talking platforms (consoles), or time periods? Cos that would produce two very different answers for me.

Console: Xbox, hands down. Forget any actual games FOR the machine, I have a neat little box sitting under my telly that allows me to fall asleep to any NeoGeo, SNES, MD, PCE, Amiga, or arcade game (up to the mid to late nineties, anyway - you know, just before arcade games went to shit) of my choice. Course, this means I don't actually GET much sleep, as I usually find I'm still going "oooh, I didn't even realise I had that one on here!" and losing another hour or so.

As for the question being more about my "golden age", I'd probably go for N64 (so many hours lost to ISS, (/ROSE TINT ALERT/ still the best football game ever made /END ROSE TINT ALERT/ and Goldeneye), closely followed by the 360.

Bizarrely, I still love the old games (okay, okay, the old shmups then) and wish for a return to simpler times, while fully realising that gamers really haven't had it quite so good.

What can I say, conflicted just works for me.

Edit: I perhaps missed the point here, and maybe based my answer for the "golden age" bit on criteria that... ah... isn't so obvious. I'd also like to point out that OTHER criteria, should I have remembered it at the time of posting, would have resulted in my not dissing the Amiga quite so harshly. Drugs, friends, and Kick Off - possibly not in that particular order - I'm looking at you... um... boys.
#10 at 17:18:56 - 18/09/2008
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It's a tough call, I'd actually have to put the Atari 2600 high up the list simply because it's still the machine I've spent the longest using, though the PS1 and PS2 are hot on its heels.

The ST was a beaut machine too and I absolutely loved my speccy and C64. I couldn't separate any of 'em out as an overall favourite though as I'm too much of a hoebag when it comes to games.
#11 at 17:42:13 - 18/09/2008

home