Radio Rediscovery

Author Reply
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I've slowly been coming back to radio, after years of clinging to my own collection and whatever I currently have on disk.

There's a few alright Belgian stations, but they're a bit of a mixed bag. I recently started listening to Colin Murray on Radio 1 through the iPlayer and really enjoying the variety and direction. His coverage of the Edinburgh Fringe festival was excellent I thought. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other shows I can access online?
#1 at 13:06:57 - 29/09/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
If you like Colin Murray then I can't talk to you ;-P

Could've been worse - you could've liked Edith Bowman :-D

I thoroughly recommend almost anything on BBC 6Music except George Lamb. Adam and Joe are my fave DJs on there but almost anyone will play a nice varied selection of non-chart stuff, old and new
#2 at 13:28:39 - 29/09/2008
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
#3 at 14:06:21 - 29/09/2008
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Mark Lamarrs stuff on Radio 2 is very interesting- a while back he did a history of country music. I'm not a big country fan but this went back to the yodelling days of the late 20's and was fascinating.

He's nowhere near as big a knob on the radio.
#4 at 15:44:47 - 29/09/2008
strangeed
Flag
Star Rating
billdoor said:Mark Lamarrs stuff on Radio 2 is very interesting- a while back he did a history of country music. I'm not a big country fan but this went back to the yodelling days of the late 20's and was fascinating.

He's nowhere near as big a knob on the radio.

Oooh, history stuff is always good, I'll give that a look, as well as the other suggestions too of course.

What's wrong with Murray by the way? His interviews with comedians are good, not demanding but jovial.
#5 at 16:35:12 - 29/09/2008
strangeed
Flag
Star Rating
Sigh, been listening to Mike Davies on Radio 1, going through the In new music we trust line up. He's a bit "dude, awesome, kick-ass" but his play list is good.
#6 at 17:17:31 - 29/09/2008
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
About the only decent station for new (but mainstream-ish) music broadcasting in London these days is Radio 1, since XFM went down the pan. Huw Stephens usually comes up with something worth listening to. And Annie Nightingale is still going strong (though now broadcasting at an unlistenable hour). Plus Annie Mac does an entertaining show despite having a really annoying voice, if you need something a bit more energetic.
#7 at 17:23:50 - 29/09/2008
Master_Miller
Flag
Comments:2
Thread Kills:1(4%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
RTE 2FM for me.

I love you, Ruth Scott.
#8 at 22:31:28 - 29/09/2008
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Radio Player has just launched.

Radioplayer has today launched in the UK, bringing together all BBC and commercial radio stations in a single online platform.

The service, officially unveiled way back in November 2009, will eventually bring together every Ofcom-licensed radio station in the UK, offering live and on-demand content.

Radioplayer launches today with 157 radio stations, including all the BBC's national and local stations, as well as commercial networks such as Global's Capital and Heart stations, Absolute Radio and GMG's Smooth Radio.

Stations from Bauer Media and UTV Media, including Kiss and TalkSport, will join Radioplayer within a week of the launch, taking the total number of stations from 157 to 228.

Other stations soon becoming available include Fun Kids, Global Traffic Network, Planet Rock and Manx Radio, along with a range of local, regional, student and community radio networks.

Radioplayer supports live, on-demand, listen again and podcasts in a "one-stop shop" for radio listening. Users can search for stations by name, programme, location, presenter or topic, and then create presets of their favourite networks.

Alongside DAB, Radioplayer is hoped to become a vital component of the radio industry's multiplatform digital push. There are plans for a potential future rollout on mobile devices and Radioplayer was also recently confirmed as a content advisory partner for YouView, the BBC-backed venture that aims to upgrade Freeview and Freesat to support web services.

The interface is atrocious.
#9 at 13:41:31 - 31/03/2011

home