Author Reply
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Or, if you'd like to spin it another way, "Wii was launched before it was actually ready".

WTF!? Does Reggie think he's appeasing people by releasing statements like this? What's worse is that people are still rewarding Ninty for their actions by lapping this stuff up at a rate of several hundred thousand units a month :-/
#1 at 10:48:27 - 07/10/2008
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I don't get the problem.

Are the past years that Wii owners have played Wii somehow cheapened now because they suddenly find out the console wasn't as good as it soon will be?

They still bought a good console.

EDIT:Which is to say, what's wrong with people rewarding Nintendo with sales? They knew the specs of the machine when they bought it, so they got exactly what they wanted.

To turn around and say "I can't believe I bought your sub-standard technology" when something new comes along is silly.

EDIT:And as for the "motion plus" thing, if it was out at launch, you'd have paid for it then. Instead, if you want it, you pay for it now.

Nothing lost.
#2 at 10:54:40 - 07/10/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'll preface this by saying I've still never laid eyes or hands on a Wii...

From my observations, people have been complaining about the lack of 1:1 interaction since day one. It turns out Ninty could have put it in but they wouldn't have been able to hit the (low in the US and Jap, high in Europe) price they were after, so they now give consumers the opportunity to be reamed seperately. Forgive me if I view this as exploitation of the market.

In balance I also view the 360 being a noisy crashy POS and the PS3 still selling without Dualshocks as being equally shitty situations.
#3 at 11:10:28 - 07/10/2008
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The thing is, it only became an issue when Nintendo did bring out this motion plus thing (which, from what I've read, ain't all that, anyway).

Up till then, even without the 1:1, the ecosses of this world were raving about the Wii. So it was good enough. Good games came out for it. Mario, Metroid, Zack and Wiki, SSBB, whatever, existed without the motion plus thing. Fans totally got what they wanted.

Now a new optional peripheral comes out and suddenly the Wii wasn't good enough? Perhaps it'd be better if everyone didn't know that Nintendo were working on it from day one and everyone can feel better about their purchase? ;)

And again, they got their lower launch price. That means everyone paid less. Now, that money that nobody paid can be spent on this new doohickey if anyone wants to. It's neutral.
#4 at 11:18:59 - 07/10/2008
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It's like me with my Rock Band 1 drums.

Now they're bringing out the all-singing all-dancing Rock Band 2 drums with cymbals on top.

Screw me? No, I knew what I was buying when I bought it. I enjoyed using the loud, cymbal-less drums. The experience is not cheapened by knowing that Harmonix could've put out something better.
#5 at 11:21:46 - 07/10/2008
quedex
Flag
Comments:171
Thread Kills:49(3%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Rhythm said:From my observations, hardcore gamers have been complaining about the lack of 1:1 interaction since day one.

Fixed. My mum doesn't care in the slightest that the wiimote doesn't match the movements of the rackets in Tennis 100% accurately, she's having plenty enough fun playing it as it is. Same will be true for a large percentage of the Wii's userbase.

The only people who ever did care are us gaming types, but most gamers are all a moany, unsatisifed bunch who would never be happy anyway. It could have come with MotionPlus day 1, and they'd still be whining about how it is going to kill gaming because you can't play Halo on it.
#6 at 11:33:46 - 07/10/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Not being able to play Halo on a console is an advantage, not a downside ;-)
#7 at 11:37:00 - 07/10/2008
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
hard to see how a platform already clearly budget starved will support two varying input methods as complex as these satisfactorily.
#8 at 14:41:43 - 07/10/2008
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I doubt it will, and I doubt 1:1 will produce many compelling games. Obviously the Wii Sports game it comes with, and the lightsaber game most Star Wars fans wanted, but beyond that, I'm not sure who cares.

There's still the problem with collision detection. my virtual lightsaber hits the computer's: on screen, my lightsaber stops moving; in my hand, the controller keeps moving. From there, everything's off.

And what am I going to do with 1:1? I like approximated movements 'cos all you need to do is slash. I don't need 1:1 'cos I'm not freakin' Zorro.
#9 at 16:33:53 - 07/10/2008
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The main problem with a lot of Wii control systems, and I can only see it getting worse when the WiiMotionPlus is factored into the whole design process is that no development teams outside Nintendo seem to be able to sort out a decent "at rest" setting. So basically in virtually any game that uses the Wiimote in anger, the bloody character's arm or gun or whatever is wandering all over the screen like a spack-handed doberman on speed. It's actually all you can do in Red Steel 1 just to keep the feckin' targeting cursor in place most of the time without your character's arm looking like he's doing a brilliant impression of Joey Deacon.

With a 1:1 mapped movement of the player's arm stuffed into a game's control system I can only begin to imagine how gimped its all going to look. Nice as it is to replicate the movement of a sword or a gun arm or a tennis racket, it's pretty much impractical if the game's actually going to be fun to play.

I still reckon that the original Wiimotes that were shown off at the launch event and the Nintendo House were slightly different to the final release models. I knew I should've tucked one in my pocket and nicked off with it.
#10 at 19:15:09 - 07/10/2008

home