Author Reply
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Yes, another question, Sorry.

I recently was given a smart phone at work. In order to use it, my mailbox has been switched to an exchange server. What they didn't tell me was that Outlook would then try and synchronise my entire inbox with the server. It's currently at around 1gb and therefore too large for the server account I have by several multiples. The idiots who manage our IT don't have a clue (external company, friend of the boss I think). I currently can't send or receive mail. Since this laptop is both professional and private use, I would rather not just delete all my mails.

Is there any way of telling outlook to just synchronise one specific folder and just forget the rest?

Thank you very much for any suggestions,

#1 at 12:48:01 - 13/10/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Only had experience with Nokia's Mail for Exchange application but the key there was to tell it to only sync the last "x" number of emails, or the last "x" days. I *think* there was support for folders but don't quote me there
#2 at 12:57:12 - 13/10/2008
strangeed
Flag
Star Rating
Hmm, I think I've been able to work around the problem by opening a second outlook storage file and just depositing all mail older than 2 weeks ago in that. It looks pretty separate in outlook so hopefully exchange wont suddenly grab it again.

Cheers for the hint :)
#3 at 13:35:40 - 13/10/2008
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
What sort of mobile is it ed? Windows Mobile/Smartphone are pretty easily to configure- you can set them to only download the text and limit how far back you go (mines set to sync the last months worth of mails for example).
#4 at 11:03:56 - 14/10/2008
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Speaking of excange, anyone got any experience with Outlook Web Access?

My boss is on holiday in Bora Bora and if he loads OWA in IE his inbox just hangs with a loading message. It works remotely from here and at home and even worked in Australia for him last week but suddenly doesn't work.

Could this be a hotel firewall issue? The bizarre thing however is that it works in Firefox (only you get a stripped down version of the application).
#5 at 11:12:25 - 14/10/2008
Carlo
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:39(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Which version of exchange guys?
#6 at 11:29:15 - 14/10/2008
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
strangeed said:Yes, another question, Sorry.

I recently was given a smart phone at work. In order to use it, my mailbox has been switched to an exchange server. What they didn't tell me was that Outlook would then try and synchronise my entire inbox with the server. It's currently at around 1gb and therefore too large for the server account I have by several multiples. The idiots who manage our IT don't have a clue (external company, friend of the boss I think). I currently can't send or receive mail. Since this laptop is both professional and private use, I would rather not just delete all my mails.

Is there any way of telling outlook to just synchronise one specific folder and just forget the rest?

Thank you very much for any suggestions,

When you get up activesync on your Smartphone, you can set how many days worth of email to keep on your phone, what folders to syncronise, and if you want the full message, or just the headers etc.

Also, depending on what version smartphone and Exchange system you have, you can set it up to 'push' messages when they get delivered, so it's more like a 'berry.
#7 at 11:31:48 - 14/10/2008
strangeed
Flag
Star Rating
Can't say I've ever had that trouble with the web side of things. Strange that it's an IE only error. Took me a while to figure out that using it in IE actually gives you more functionality.

Isn't there a firefox plugin that takes care of that? I had a brief look a while ago but never found anything.

As to my troubles, I've been able to resolve them. The problem was with outlook on the latop rather than the smart phone. I still have the fun of configuring that ahead of me.

Yeah it's an HP 914, which runs windows mobile 6.1, so it's pretty user friendly. The major concern are the mobile network operators here in Belgium, who are the most expensive and least advanced. Their network capacities lag behind most of the rest of Europe significantly.

I was talking to a guy working for one of the Swedish telecoms companies, and their services and network expansions really put Belgium to shame.
#8 at 11:33:20 - 14/10/2008
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
HairyArse said:Speaking of excange, anyone got any experience with Outlook Web Access?

My boss is on holiday in Bora Bora and if he loads OWA in IE his inbox just hangs with a loading message. It works remotely from here and at home and even worked in Australia for him last week but suddenly doesn't work.

Could this be a hotel firewall issue? The bizarre thing however is that it works in Firefox (only you get a stripped down version of the application).
ActiveX restrictions.

Do 2 things: Add the URL of your OWA into the setting in IE's 'trusted sites' so it can run ActiveX properly.

Download the applet in OWA so it's in enhanced mode (Sorry, forget where you find it).

Finally, dump the IE cache.
#9 at 11:41:55 - 14/10/2008
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
ed- this is how I set it up on my phone:

go into pocket outlook
menu->tools->options
click on the outlook email (which it sounds like you've already set up)
next->next to the edit server settings page
highlight email and click on settings
you then get a page to alter the settings

HTH
#10 at 11:48:44 - 14/10/2008
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Carlo said:
HairyArse said:Speaking of excange, anyone got any experience with Outlook Web Access?

ActiveX restrictions.

Do 2 things: Add the URL of your OWA into the setting in IE's 'trusted sites' so it can run ActiveX properly.

Download the applet in OWA so it's in enhanced mode (Sorry, forget where you find it).

Tried adding it to the trusted sites but that made no difference. It's really annoying because they're on a 6 week business trip and it's worked fine for the first 3 weeks in India, Pakistan, Australia and Canada but then all of a sudden...

If by the OWA Applet you mean the MIME Installer thing in security options, tried that too to no avail.
#11 at 11:54:33 - 14/10/2008
strangeed
Flag
Star Rating
Cheers Bill,

will try that once I get the thing back from the shop later today. Had it for a week and the keyboard stopped working \o/
#12 at 11:56:20 - 14/10/2008
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Carlo said:ActiveX restrictions.

None of them have made any difference. They tried it on another computer within the hotel and that had the same problems so I'm inclined to think Firewall but then it's puzzling that FF works.
#13 at 12:06:42 - 14/10/2008
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
HA, on the logon screen in OWA, get them to select the simple interface (OWA Light).

Does that make any difference?
#14 at 12:22:30 - 14/10/2008
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Either I'm stupid or there's no option to change to OWA light? What do I do to do that?
#15 at 12:27:13 - 14/10/2008
zlatan24
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:1(100%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Mod Note - unsubtle spammers have their messages deleted.
#16 at 11:36:42 - 30/10/2010

home