Author Reply
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I was thinking of picking up the Sony KDL32V4000 from Curry's with the surround sound system for £399 (or Amazon without the surround for £329) but had a couple of questions.

1) What is the risk with dead pixels these days?
2) What is this set like for motion blur?

The majority of the reviews on Amazon were positive, but then the majority of them also read like they were written by people who didn't really know what they were looking at.

One of them was a little worrying, as it touched on motion blur:

Amazon review:
"Not unexpectedly the TV performs best with a High Definition input. I've played Blu Ray discs and these look crisp and detailed. Also up scaling DVDS (which most Blu Ray players and some newer DVD players can do) really make DVDS look better and in some cases make them close to Blu Ray quality. Haven't noticed any motion blur on Blu Ray yet but sometimes there is definite banding around bright objects with an even dark background eg a moon in the sky will have slight banded halos around it. This seems common to most LCDs I've seen and isn't overly distracting.

Games are slightly disappoiting. I've played a few PS3 games and on some there is some definite motion blur. Moving images have a shadow that hangs behind them (particularly very dark images) and once you start to notice it, it becomes irritating on certain games. This seems to be a common problem on most LCDs though and personally I think games are best played sitting closer to a smaller screen (I have fewer games problems on a 19" LCD monitor). I haven't noticed much motion blur on TV / DVD but it possibly is there and to be fair I don't watch much sport so can't comment on things like tennis and football. "

Any advice greatly appreciated as I really want a sub £400 set but can't put up with motion blur.
#1 at 00:26:31 - 16/11/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Motion blur looks to be a definite issue with that set

Linky
#2 at 00:34:20 - 16/11/2008
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
A semi decent review although they mention issues of motion blur.

I've not noticed any on my Sony Bravia TV but it's a very different model to that one.
#3 at 00:38:13 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ah, that's the Australian version (in both reviews) which is a totally different set. Stupidly Sony gave them the same product code, but the Australian version is 1080p whereas the EU version is 720p and are totally different stats.

I can't find any good review sites for the EU version, googling only brought up Aussie results really.
#4 at 00:38:47 - 16/11/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ah. Is the Euro one 100hz or higher or does it have MotionFlow? If so then you're fine. If not then you're probably still fine, although it might be wise popping to your local TV shop for a test viewing
#5 at 00:45:40 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
No, it's 50hz.

I'll c&p the stats.

Trouble is, nowhere near me, other than Curry's, stocks it. And Curry's are absolutely shit at demoing TV's as they just pump crappy grainy picture into them and very rarely have them even set up correctly.
#6 at 00:49:17 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Specs:

# Screen size: 32"
# Resolution: 1366 x 768
# Screen Type: 16:9
# Visible Screen Size: 32"
# HD Ready
# Contrast Ratio: 30000:1
# Picture Frequency: 50Hz
# Sound Quality: BBE ViVA high quality sound and built-in Virtual Dolby
# Auto Install
# Digital Tuner
# Flat Screen
#7 at 00:50:32 - 16/11/2008
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Heh. Guess who didn't click Rhythm's link :)

Generally all of the Sony Bravia sets are good. The only issues I found when I was last looking was the balance of the cost against size - in a couple of instances they released TVs that were very different in features but at very similar prices.

If this is the one you mean then you'l be fine with it - it's the smaller, and slightly different, version of mine; just make sure you turn off the ambient light sensor when you get it. It buggers the image up slightly.
#8 at 00:57:39 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
That's the one, yes.

So no motion blur on your larger set then? No 'halo's' as that guy mentioned (insert 'only Halo 3' joke as appropriate)?
#9 at 01:00:51 - 16/11/2008
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I believe all the Sony Bravia TVs are pretty similar - I''ve had no picture quality issues on mine at all.

A quick look at it in the shop, even if they don't put a decent signal through, should give you an idea if there any ghosting or blurring issues but I think you'll be fine. I don't know why they haven't worked out that putting a decent signal through them might increase their chances of selling them.

I guarantee you'll spend several hours tweaking the settings no matter what.
#10 at 01:13:13 - 16/11/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
No motion blur on my Bravia but it's 120hz and has something called MotionFlow to help eliminate it.

Cost vs size is definitely a consideration at the moment - some nice looking 37" tellies around at the £400 mark, although I have been hugely impressed with the Bravia I got last year
#11 at 10:32:41 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'd actually prefer a 26" in the room it is going in, as I only sit about 6-8 feet away. We got a 40" for the living room last year as well (sit about 12 feet away) and it was far too big, it went back to the shop within 15 minutes for a refund.

A 32" is pushing it for me and I'd happily have a decent 26" if a) all the specs weren't crap and b) they didn't actually cost more than a 32", which I don't understand.

Sounds like I'm going for the Bravia though, thanks for the help guys. It's reassuring to hear you've had no problems with your versions.
#12 at 10:48:34 - 16/11/2008
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
There's no motion blur on my 42" telly I got from eBuyer either, so looks like that should be nigh-on gone these days from LCDs.
#13 at 10:53:54 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
There was a Sammy I saw in Curry's in London that had terrible motion blur. It was showing the new Mummy film and all the actions sequences were a clusterfuck of blurry proportions. If I remember correctly, the Sony they had there handled it alright though.

I'm just about to clean the drive and then I think a trip to town is in order! :o) Just bought a XBOX 360 as well. Recession, what recession???

/looks at credit card bill and cries
#14 at 11:22:51 - 16/11/2008
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Some of the TVs setups they have in shops do an excellent job of looking their worst.

Seeing as I'm in Cumbria where the digital switchover will be starting first, my local Maplins had a display of a small 4x3 telly (labeled as showing analogue but was showing News 24) and a 26" LCD showing, again, News 24. The LCD had the *WORST* picture I've ever seen on an LCD of an SD source, every bit of compression was dancing about on the screen for all to see. Obviously some fuckwit had turned the sharpness settings up all the way on that set and, well, you could see how awful it looked from the back of the shop.

I'm really not sure why HDTVs have sharpness settings. My Sky+ box looked awful on default when I first unpacked it, a quick dip into the menus had it looking *much* better.

Nowt to do with motion blur, but hey :)
#15 at 11:36:29 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Well that was a new low!

Went in there, they didn't have any of the Sony's on display, despite the adverts being everywhere, and no place for them to be on display.

All of the TV's they did have on display were all displaying the worst video footage I've ever seen. So bad that the whites bled about 1cm-3cm's outwards of the text (depending on the size of the screen), there was ghosting around everything and a great big fucking crackly line going across the top third of the tv's. Absolutely shit.

I wasn't amused. Just as we were walking out they had some jobsworth on the door doing the 'did you find what you were looking for today'.
I was just about to launch into a tirade when my wife said 'don't start him off, he's not happy' to which I managed to quickly get out 'fucking shithole' before she dragged me out of the door.
#16 at 13:34:05 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
After doing research on AVForums, it appears that there may be an issue with the current batch of KDL32V4000's. Some are reporting terrible motion blur and juddering, and they all appear to be from batch Sept08 Slovakia.

Might be why everywhere is discounting them.
#17 at 14:52:27 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
After doing yet more research, it looks like the Panasonic LXD85 is the one to go for, as it has 100hz and is good for no motion blur.

review
#18 at 16:31:36 - 16/11/2008
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
kentmonkey said:After doing yet more research, it looks like the Panasonic LXD85 is the one to go for, as it has 100hz and is good for no motion blur.

review

Looks like a good choice. I almost got a Panny last year but eventually settled on the D3000 Bravia thanks to hefty discounting at Empire.

Remember to check LCD TV Prices for the best price - That Panny is under £480 here
#19 at 21:54:03 - 16/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
£20 delivery on top though mate (they don't allow for reserve and collect on that set) and the Argos price includes a three year warranty in the price. So not a bad deal.

I'm still dithering. I'm wondering if I wait another 2-3 months whether I'll be able to get the Z series for a similar price, or whether the price of this one will drop exponentially due to new stock.

Ho and indeed hum. I probably will break though. It's just not so much of an impulse buy at nearly £500. £325 and it was in that 'oh, fuck it, it's only money' territory.
#20 at 22:20:36 - 16/11/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
kentmonkey said:I'd actually prefer a 26" in the room it is going in, as I only sit about 6-8 feet away. We got a 40" for the living room last year as well (sit about 12 feet away) and it was far too big, it went back to the shop within 15 minutes for a refund.

Heh, if you actually mean 15 minutes then I'd give this one more of a chance - I thought I'd bought too big a TV for about 15 minutes, but by the time I'd watched a movie on it I started to think "hmm, is this really that much bigger than my old one?".
#21 at 04:15:32 - 17/11/2008
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It was indeed 15 minutes, but it was far too big. It looked stupid in the room and too big for the eyes.

Had a look at the Panasonic LXD85 today, and I still noticed motion issues. They were pumping content to it through a composite cable, and there was a cartoon film with a chef spinning a coin and then loads of mice. It might have been Ratatouilles (or however it's spelt) 2, if they've done one. Anyway, the coin was rolling across the floor and it looked like it was missing a few frames and then when the mice were moving quickly, there ears appeared to be a bit jumpy.

There was footage from another film, and the movement of heads was a little jerky again and possibly motion blur, the lighting in there and the fact it was on a ridiculously low stand weren't helping. All of the 32" I looked at had the same issues, some slightly worse than others but all there.

I then nipped next door to Comet and they had a Samsung A656 (I think) 1080p HD TV (looked like a black frame, but was actually a strange hue of red) and that had brilliant motion capability on the footage they were putting through it (aquatic scene and scrolling text with boxes). The cheaper Samsung next to it, and the Toshiba, all struggled with the moving text and boxes and were very jumpy, whereas the 1080p one wasn't.

From that I'm wondering whether I've got to spend £600+ to get a TV that doesn't suffer from these issues, but I can't warrant spending that amount. It's too much, just for two games consoles and a few movies.
#22 at 20:37:45 - 17/11/2008
Dougs
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:27(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Pssst....

Panny Plasma, PX/PZ series! You'll be fine with the 37"....
#23 at 07:56:46 - 18/11/2008
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Firstly sorry for resurrecting an old thread like this but it seemed the most appropriate one for my question.

I've been thinking about going into HD for a while now. I think I am finally ready to take the plunge but want to make sure that what I end up with is the right choice.

I think I've been spending too much time on avforums. I've been completely certain about getting the Philips 42PFL8404 and the Sony 40W5500 respectively and each time comments and reviews on avforums have made me unsure.

I can get the Sony for around 650€, after rebate and special ecocheques for environmentally friendly products. The Philips would be about 725€. Main uses will be gaming (xbox360) and SD tv. There's not many HD channels I can get here in Belgium and BluRay is not a prospect for the moment. A side question would be will the xbox upscale or what it's called?

Any and all suggestions very much appreciated. Cheers.
#24 at 18:51:21 - 22/12/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hum, anyone any suggestions for a halfway decent but small (less than 23" ideally) TV set for under about £150? Looking for something for console gaming when the missus is watching the main TV and we don't have room for anything bigger.

I was under the impression that there was an abundance of cheap TVs around these days but on searching around a bit I'm actually finding I'm struggling to find summat suitable...
#25 at 22:38:27 - 17/01/2011
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Can't find a TV for that price but if you can manage without the receiver then there's a 23" Philips LED monitor with speakers for that price at Play
#26 at 07:35:47 - 18/01/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Also about to enter the morass that is TV buying. Mostly looking at Panasonics and trying not to spend more than 600 quid but most of the good stuff I've seen is a tad over that.

Is it worth waiting to see if there are any decent freeview HD-built-in type sets arriving later in the year or do people recommend a separate HD PVR for that type of stuff (have already got a standard humax PVR so I'd be a bit reluctant to have to get rid of that too).
#27 at 08:48:07 - 18/01/2011
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'd assume if you want to record HD stuff you'll have to get a separate HD PVR.

Best to place to ask about a new TV is avforums. Also get yourself to Comet or Currys so you can actually see the TV in action. They actually have plenty of decent deals in store too, although you may have missed out on the best of the post Christmas bargains :-(
#28 at 13:46:12 - 18/01/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Rhythm said:Can't find a TV for that price but if you can manage without the receiver then there's a 23" Philips LED monitor with speakers for that price at Play

Hm, not bad at all, cheers for the pointer. I'm not fussed about watching TV on it really, it's purely intended for an alternate gaming or computer screen - I'd use my current computer screen for it if it weren't a bloody why-would-anyone-want-to-look-at-anything-other-than-MacOSX-on-it iMac...:)
#29 at 19:21:26 - 18/01/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Fucking hell. Just spent a weekend looking at new tellies. I thought the phrase 'HD Ready' was a con when I started to see it tacked to the front of really crappy old 720p sets. Now it seems '3D Ready' is even more of a con when you realise that '3D ready' actually means "you will need a huge extra box to get the 3D bit to work, oh and a couple of pairs of 3D specs that cost 100 quid a throw. Oh and did we mention that you'll also have to pay extra if you want a wi fi dongle or Freeview HD capability?

No fucking wonder no one wants to touch 3D with a barge pole - it's deliberately designed to get you to part with a huge amount of cash for a fairly unconvincing (and headache-inducing) effect.

Did get a go on Wipeout 3D, Motorstorm 3D and a couple of other bits which were fairly nice but not £1000 nice.
#30 at 09:28:10 - 24/01/2011

home