Skate It

Author Reply
d0ugi3
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:13(12%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Okay I'm back after about a year away from this site. And in that time I have gained a little bit more knowledge about how things actually work in games.

So recently I applied this and posted up a thread on the EA boards.

"
I do know about the Wiis infeririority to other systems by the way of Graphics and processor speed (a measley 775mHz compared to the 3.something gHz of the 360 :O), but things like the light bloom effect which was wonderfully done in Skate have been left out of Skate It. I know that light bloom is a big frame eater but it's just that tiny thing that makes the graphics of the 360 version a class better. Skate It feels dull.

Another thing is the people. It's a nice thing to have people in free play modes where you can get knocked off your board by the AI but we see none of this in Skate It. my thoughts are that this would mean too many poly's which would create havoc with frame rates on the wii, but proper use of bump and specular maps can make lower polygon characters seem a lot more high fidelity.

There also aren't the amount of rails and ramps to do tricks on. I find this a shame as I love to hit the rails and pop a kickflip into a grind;much more rewarding than doing a 1080 quadrouble kickflip. But my thoughts about this are the poly count issue aswell.

I also feel that the reason for not doing the whole cities together and splitting them up in sections is probably to do with the amount of thins shown on screen aswell, but you could simply just create a visibility barrier where you load one section while fadingout the one you've just come from. Like the TH Proving Ground did, except they used corridors.

Thanks very much,
d0ugi3 "

And my question to you all is; would you get it?/Have you got it?..if so what do you think of it?

Cheers, d0ugi3
#1 at 22:57:30 - 20/12/2008
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Welcome back.

I've only ever played one Skating game - THPS3 - because I really enjoyed the demo. Unfortunately the demo was better than the actual game and somehow felt more substantial. SSX is the closest I've come before or since and that was great but I've been waiting for a new one for far too long now.

Also, some of the programmers for the Wii are either too lazy or not exactly the best a company has which is why the graphical quality is so low/inconsistent across games.
#2 at 00:50:17 - 21/12/2008
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
Star Rating
Evenin'
I haven't played it but i've been interested to see how it would do. There are some Wii games that do look nice and obviously Nintendo can make it sing but that's part of the issue. Together with the other factors like less talent on the dev teams, a lack of drive to make use of the tech perhaps and the apparent lacklustre support offered by Nintendo to the third party devs mean the Wii won't do as well. This may change as devs especially in Japan are moving from the PS2 onto the PSP and with that i think there will be a renewed interest in the Wii too. Hopefully from developers who have great ideas but not the resources for the production standards expected in PS3 or 360 development.

Back to Skate It, how well does it control?
#3 at 01:21:42 - 21/12/2008
d0ugi3
Flag
Star Rating
It's smooth enough. Quite a bit more realistic than any other Skating game out there, but there is a lot to be desired still. Especially since they were making Skate 2 at the same time, and the fact tha Skate 2 has an abundance of extra functions whil we're just gettin the hall of meat. There is even the fish eye lens type camera, with the fade around the edges which is left out.

They have cut many a corner, by doing things such as the orange stripes along the side of a lot of lines instead of creatinga proper texture for them....and the textures are duplicted in many parts aswell.

in the interview about the multiplayer features it was stated that the reason for not having split screen was because you wanted to watch the sick tricks that your friend was doing...Yeh, I can see how that's going to work when your concentratng on hitting your own lines. And espcially because the feel of the game, I feel, s so good that I wouldn't give a crap about what any one else was doing.

To be honest the Wii's processr is to slow, so all these corners have to be cut if you want to get 30fps. Hopefully this could be something that gets aressed in the future nintendo consoles...

...but Skate It is a wonderful feeling game. I find I get into the game a lot when the balance board is used. I could play for hours on end and not get bored. It's a good game but needs a little bit more effort put into it.
#4 at 02:49:36 - 21/12/2008
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
It seems odd to me that there are still a number of Gamecube games that look better than almost anything I've seen on the Wii. I can only think of a handful of first party games that beat the gamecube, yet they're not obviously better, and I thought the Wii was overclocked in comparison to the cube

Mind you, I can see why third parties don't bother pushing the machine - the graphical quality of a game has very little to do with how well it will sell. The Wii has opted out of the graphical race, and so has the wii games market.
#5 at 15:27:58 - 21/12/2008
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
You say you're interested in how things work in games, thought I'd add some comments to your own to clarify things a bit further...

d0ugi3 said:
I know that light bloom is a big frame eater but it's just that tiny thing that makes the graphics of the 360 version a class better. Skate It feels dull.

'True' light bloom is quite an expensive effect as you need to be running a HDR lighting model, so even though bloom might seem like a small graphical detail it's actually quite a significant change for the engine and I'm pretty sure HDR is too expensive for the Wii.

That said, it can be faked - as in Shadow of the Colossus, for instance - but that's then more resource intensive. That's development for you - it's all about compromise.

Another thing is the people. It's a nice thing to have people in free play modes where you can get knocked off your board by the AI but we see none of this in Skate It. my thoughts are that this would mean too many poly's which would create havoc with frame rates on the wii, but proper use of bump and specular maps can make lower polygon characters seem a lot more high fidelity.

There could have been lots of reasons why they chose to not have AI characters in the Wii version - graphical expense could have been part of it, the expense of the AI routines might have been another. Or it could have been that the AI on the other platforms relies on routines that are unfeasible on the Wii and they decided that re-implementing it wasn't within the scope of the project.

Also bump and specular maps of any decent quality aren't particularly feasible on the Wii due to their memory and processor requirements.

I also feel that the reason for not doing the whole cities together and splitting them up in sections is probably to do with the amount of thins shown on screen aswell, but you could simply just create a visibility barrier where you load one section while fadingout the one you've just come from. Like the TH Proving Ground did, except they used corridors.

Breaking up the cities is likely to have been due to memory constraints as well as rendering costs. Your suggestion is fair but retrofitting level streaming to an engine is dinstinctly non-trivial. I'm not saying it's not possible, but again, they probably looked at the options and decided to focus on other areas instead.

Hope some of that is of interest anyway.
#6 at 17:44:23 - 21/12/2008
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
Star Rating
Cheers Neko, The Wii could have used a little more RAM then?
#7 at 20:05:37 - 21/12/2008
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
You can always use more RAM. :)
#8 at 20:31:45 - 21/12/2008
d0ugi3
Flag
Star Rating
Well it does come to the operating system at the end of the day...and that's why the PC will always win on that level, but pirating is killing the PC market.

But it is a good game, the things I have talked about are just some things which I would like to see happen in the future of Nintendos pheriphal-istic world. And just so you know guys, I adore Skate It, but that could just be me being a fanboy.

And here's something that I saw today. I was nursing a semi when I first saw it. MadWorldTrailer
#9 at 19:08:11 - 22/12/2008
Funkyd
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:10(3%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I didn't even realise Skate It was out already. Haven't seen any reviews for it.
#10 at 20:57:58 - 22/12/2008

home