Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Interesting bit about one bloke's experiences
By now, everyone knows that a maximum of five systems may be registered to a PlayStation Network account at a time. To most this is common knowledge and it seems to work just fine for games. But I bet most of you didn’t know that when it comes to video the rules are different. From Sony’s website when speaking of system activation they say "For certain types of PlayStation®Network content, you must activate your system (PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system or PSP® portable entertainment system) on the PlayStation Network in order to view or play the content. In these cases, if your system (PLAYSTATION 3 or PSP system) is not activated, you will not be able to access the purchased PlayStation Network content."

I'd not heard about this anywhere else so thought some of you might be interested.
#1 at 13:25:03 - 31/12/2008
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
It's a shame to say, this news isn't as surprising as it would've been at the start of this gen, what with the way demos get locked to the specific account used to buy them on 360 if you get a new machine, and stories like that.

It is interesting that PSN doesn't support re-downloads of video though, so if you switch machines or change the hard disc, as I understand it you'll lose your videos. I think the activating/deactivating stuff is a bit of a red herring given it all gets sorted out if you send the box to Sony for repair (I'm not sure why this guy has to spend $150 for that though - perhaps that's what they do in America). But it would be a real issue if you were upgrading your hard disc, I think.

It's worth pointing out as well, this only applies to videos downloaded from PSN, of course. I don't know what sort of vids are available on PSN apart from game trailers.
#2 at 18:41:21 - 31/12/2008
Retroid
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yeah, it's more interesting for the fact that they can do that. It'll be something to keep in mind for when they get things sorted for movie downloads here.
#3 at 20:00:45 - 31/12/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
"By now, everyone knows that a maximum of five systems may be registered to a PlayStation Network account at a time"

I don't even know what that means, let alone "know" it.

I also don't understand what the rest of the quoted text in the OP means. Surely if you don't have your PS3 on the PSN then you can't download the videos in the first place?
#4 at 20:01:56 - 31/12/2008
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
It's about activating your machine rather than registering your account. That is, tying a specific machine to a specific PSN account. You can deactivate the link at any time using your ps3, but if the machine breaks, only Sony can do that.

Actually, that means you shouldn't have an issue switching machines providing you remember to deactivate first and switch the hard disc over.
#5 at 20:11:03 - 31/12/2008
Retroid
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Well, quite :)

What I find interesting is the fact that this takes Sony's (rather excellent) attitude to PSN profile DRM, in that the same profile can exist on multiple machines and games only require that profile to be present to work, not actually logged in, which is more generous than MS' approach on the 360.... and makes it into something far more restrictive. :(
#6 at 20:11:14 - 31/12/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
But you still just need to go online and activate it, right? Not be online all the time like on a second 360 (and didn't they fix that anyway on the 360?).
#7 at 20:29:35 - 31/12/2008
Retroid
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I've got my profile on a 360 memcard and use it between two 360s and the only real trouble I've had was with sodding Braid.

And yes, you have to (apparently) go online to activate but it does that automatically. So it's doable to manage it, but sounds a bit like a pain in the arse :/
#8 at 23:15:58 - 31/12/2008
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Ah, I see. Well, I was kind of hoping for it to be even worse - anything that can put people off the move towards over-reliance on digital distribution is a good thing imo. ;)
#9 at 21:16:00 - 01/01/2009

home