Author Reply
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Not a single thread for one of the most anticipated games of the year? And you call this a gaming forum? :)

Anyway, EU demo's up now on Xbox Live - but Gold members only atm, not surprisingly. Bah. Any idea how long these exclusivity periods usually last?

As for the game - it will be great, no doubt about that, but... not sure about the focus on co-op play, or the controls (the RE4-style setup is in there, but will it still be suitable for the game around it?).

Also, as fantastic as the trailers look, it's really not very RE-like anymore is it? At least RE4 had a suitable setting, all dark and gloomy with plenty of horror-ish moments... this one just looks like typical, in-your-face cheesy big-budget blockbuster-type fare. Not necessarily a bad thing, judging by some of the set-pieces in the trailers.

I'm not expecting it to be an instant classic like RE4, but like I said, it will still be a damn enjoyable ride. And Mercenaries is returning, bigger and better than ever! That alone is enough for me to get all excited. \o/
#1 at 14:17:49 - 26/01/2009
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Kay said:
Also, as fantastic as the trailers look, it's really not very RE-like anymore is it? At least RE4 had a suitable setting, all dark and gloomy with plenty of horror-ish moments... this one just looks like typical, in-your-face cheesy big-budget blockbuster-type fare.

It's an interesting point, and one that several people are probably going to/have made, but my thoughts are thus:

Alien/Aliens/Alien 3

Terminator/T2

Three Colors Blue, White, Red

And any other "series" that doesn't stick to one rock-solid genre/style/setting/etc.
#2 at 14:34:03 - 26/01/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Resi 4's setting seemed pretty unique for the series but they still managed to squeeze a mansion in there. ;) I'd be very surprised if Resi 5 doesn't manage to visit some more 'classic' Resi locales over the course of the story, I'm just hoping it's not the drab underground bases you always seem to end up in.

And yeah, ilmaestro has a point about the series needing to progress and visit new locations to keep them fresh.

I'm still very much looking forward to it, yeah, the coop looks like it could get annoying and I suspect it doesn't have quite the same 'spark' that Resi 4 had, keeping it from true greatness, but I'm expecting it'll do the same job as MGS4 did - i.e. not an outright classic, not the best game in the series, but still a damn fine, polished piece of gaming the likes of which we don't get to see very often.
#3 at 18:57:14 - 26/01/2009
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Christ, it r-e-a-l-l-y feels clunky. Wasn't expecting that.
#4 at 20:27:40 - 26/01/2009
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hmm, I don't know whether that's good or bad to hear, but I won't be checking out the demo since this is a guaranteed buy either way.
#5 at 20:29:25 - 26/01/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
repairmanjack said:Christ, it r-e-a-l-l-y feels clunky. Wasn't expecting that.

Yeah, there was some discussion of this over on EG. Personally I think it feels the same as Resi 4 did, it's just that in comparison to any other 3rd person action title, that takes a bit of getting used to, and with the aiming and shooting stuff (not being able to move when shooting, relatively slow aim speeds, etc.), I'm fine with that - it's these restrictions that (at least in part) create the tension and excitement of the Resi games.

That said, something I do think is clunky is the inventory management - having to press three buttons to access it, select a herb and use it, all without the game pausing is kinda annoying. Again, I guess you could claim it adds to the tension but in this respect I wish they'd added a quick select at least.

#6 at 09:16:38 - 27/01/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I always thought that there were two camps of thought on the direction Resi moved in with 4 and now 5. Some like the idea that it's gone for an over-the-shoulder shooter-style approach, some lament the old style movement but if you go back to the earlier titles (particularly if you own any of the graphically tasty reboots on the Gamecube) you'll see what clunky really is.

I'll have to get this down. So far, I've been completely ignorant to Resi 5 - purposely really because it's getting maniacal hype and I want to approach it with a relatively fresh mind. But if it handles like 4, then I still reckon it'll be alright.
#7 at 09:18:51 - 27/01/2009
Barchetta
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:9(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Yeah, certainly died a couple of times due to fannying around with the inventory when, with a slicker interface, I probably would have scraped through. Tension in juggling the items yes, but frustration also. Is the inventory smaller than previous games too? Still, another excuse to make up for my lack of RE skillz.

On the whole it felt VERY much like RE4 - the AI addition helping and hindering (saved me a few times but nicked ammo I was heading for at others).

Not sure about the setting yet, as many have said it doesn't feel particularly creepy but perhaps oppressive (climate/environment/numbers of 'zombies') is more the intended aim.

I will be interesting to see how the locations unfold as I've seen little beyond the dusty African towns so far. I daresay we'll see much of the ground of RE4 recovered (on rails stuff etc.) under an African paintjob.

Must say though I didn't get any hint of racism from my playthrough and actually noticed a number of ethnicities in the horde.
#8 at 10:50:56 - 27/01/2009
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
ilmaestro said:Hmm, I don't know whether that's good or bad to hear, but I won't be checking out the demo since this is a guaranteed buy either way.

That's a very good point actually. I was just so excited about finally getting to play the damn thing, but the full release is only six or so weeks away now.

Sounds like they've messed up the inventory management though. Doing it all in real time is all well and good, but not if the interface is up to scratch.

The 'clunkiness' though... that's fine. I still maintain the RE4 controls were perfect, and the whole over-the-shoulder approach was a brilliant direction for the series to take. I just wished there was more of the 'survival horror' and puzzle elements that the older games had, and it's because of this I have slight concerns about the all-out action approach that RE5 seems to have taken. The trailers seem almost DMC-like in terms of the over-the-top cheesiness. :)

No worries about the setting though, I think it's great. The trailers did hint at a few more traditional RE locations as well, so hopefully there'll be plenty of variety in there.
#9 at 11:58:01 - 27/01/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Barchetta said:
Must say though I didn't get any hint of racism from my playthrough and actually noticed a number of ethnicities in the horde.

I think that's something they've changed actually. I've not checked but from my memory the earlier videos featured a lot less variation (arguably more realistic but also the thing that caused the accusations of racism in the first place).
#10 at 13:39:57 - 27/01/2009
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I should point out that the clunkiness I refer to is entirely reminiscent of RE4 - and that was one of my favourite games of all time. The restrictions it imposes are gameplay choices, but it really was a shock having got used to a plethora of very slick third person shooters in the last couple of years.

There is some element of quick select for weapons on the dpad - but I don't think we'll be seeing an inventory system half as good as the one in Dead Space for a long time to come.
#11 at 16:48:30 - 27/01/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
What was it you thought was good about the inventory in Dead Space? Apart from the presentation I was kinda thinking it's pretty much the same as the one in Resi 5 (doesn't pause the game either does it?)
#12 at 22:43:47 - 27/01/2009
Kay
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
nekotcha said:
Barchetta said:

I think that's something they've changed actually. I've not checked but from my memory the earlier videos featured a lot less variation (arguably more realistic but also the thing that caused the accusations of racism in the first place).

Not to mention the introduction of Sheva as your co-op character...
#13 at 13:03:45 - 28/01/2009
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Played this with a mate over Live and most of the tension we felt were over the bloody controls. Horrible.

This was already not a 'certain' buy, now I'll be waiting until it's really, really cheap.
#14 at 13:14:41 - 28/01/2009
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Did you switch them to set D? Slightly improved it for me, quite enjoyed it.

Can you play co-op in the demo?
#15 at 13:18:48 - 28/01/2009
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Retroid said:Played this with a mate over Live and most of the tension we felt were over the bloody controls. Horrible.

I feel inclined to say "that's half the point". There's something slightly more realistic and visceral about not being able to instantly do... all of those things that you can do with your character in other video games.
#16 at 18:06:34 - 28/01/2009
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
There's absolutely nothing realistic about the controls in RE5.

"Oh look I've got someone in front of me, so close I can smell his breath, let me just bring this shotgun up to my shoulder and I can shoot him, just firing a shotgun from my hip would be stupid, even though the barrel of my weapon is touching him. I better anchor my feet to the floor as well because if I slightly move my trigger finger locks up. If only I could punch him instead but I guess I'll wait until some arbitrary point in time rather than just decking this miscreant."

RE5 is about as realistic as Dig Dug.
#17 at 18:58:30 - 28/01/2009
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I didn't say it was realistic - and I didn't even say that the controls were, in and of themselves, realistic.
#18 at 19:01:49 - 28/01/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I think it's probably best to stay away from the word 'realistic' altogether, but I'm absolutely with you that the restrictions on the combat controls help define the experience. It wouldn't be nearly as tense if you were faster or more agile.
#19 at 19:30:31 - 28/01/2009
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Okay, a better word would probably be "convincing" or maybe "cohesive", but I'm glad that someone agrees with me. ^^;
#20 at 01:35:45 - 29/01/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Hmmm. Not sure what to make of it. On one hand it's very much a Resi game - all those tired old game mechanics are still kept in there for tradition's sake. The buddy system doesn't really work as well as it should because more than once I found myself having to bail Sheva out because she's so gung ho and always getting herself into trouble.

The bullshot graphics certainly are cast in a more glaringly accurate light when you actually see the game running on your own system. It's nowhere near as pretty as it's looked in preview shots and movies, but it's by no means ugly - though I think I was still more technically dazzled by 4 because of what it was running on (I remember seeing it for the first time with a bunch of you lot at ECTS YEARS ago).

Didn't have a quibble about the controls really. They haven't changed that much at all, and after a while you take your "third person over the shoulder" control head off and stick your "tired and old Resi 5 control system" head on. Resi 5 doesn't do fluid shooty style stuff, it does actually feel a lot like you're a ham fisted STARS operative who's on the verge of panic and can't quite pull off Hollywood-style action hero moves without making them look and feel slightly iffy.
#21 at 08:51:23 - 29/01/2009
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I don't know that anything has been "bullshots" has it? A lot of in-game pre-rendered stuff, but not really completely "fictional" stuff.
#22 at 19:19:41 - 29/01/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Hmmm maybe - but when you see Activision advertising for a Bullshot artist quite openly, you've gotta wonder whether they're all at it.

Some of the early Resi caps looked a bit too good to be true.

That said, it's by no means ugly! Sheva's very easy on the eye :)
#23 at 20:46:57 - 29/01/2009
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:Activision advertising for a Bullshot artist quite openly

lol, is that true? Outrageous, really.
#24 at 20:56:01 - 29/01/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yup, little bit on Bluesnews and Shacknews about it earlier. Advert goes something along the lines of "Must be able to produce high quality high resolution retouched artwork from game engine resources and renders for screenshots and other promotional materials."

I really thought the industry would've learned by now but I guess not...
#25 at 21:12:33 - 29/01/2009
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I thought it looked amazing... not sure I'll be buying it though.
#26 at 06:51:29 - 30/01/2009
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
This isn't even scary. :/
There just a bunch of zombies moving at the speed of zombies or waiting to be shot down. Accidently I shot the girl a few times, but that was her fault.
#27 at 13:49:58 - 02/02/2009
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
"... officer!"
#28 at 16:08:57 - 02/02/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Fucking hell that was terrible! What an awful way to demo a game!
#29 at 23:51:18 - 02/02/2009
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It's put me right off, not that my hopes were stratospheric anyway. Bored the crap out of me. I'll give it a few more goes to give it a fair chance, but I think if I get this at all it'll be after a hefty price slash.
#30 at 02:40:10 - 03/02/2009

home