Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Details leaked?
Whilst wondering around town today during my lunch break i noticed a Ubisoft booth. people were asking questionnaires about games. I thought hey, I'm a gamer, a pretty hardcore one i think il give this a go. so i did; Questionnaire wasn't too exciting to be fair, it was what happened afterwards that was. I was brought into a room with a TV set up and this is what followed :

A trailer for lo and behold, assassins creed 2, all be it in production and not finalised i will explain what i saw

Venice 15th/16th century, The camera pans onto the city focusing on the hussle and bussle of daily life. think the civilians from assassins creed 1 but more interactive with each other. During this scene we see a man passing money to the hands of an attractive girl, (originally i didn't notice this but was told by the rep that it does happen).

2 Men, a relatively large one and a skinny one step off a boat with a cohort of guards and proceed to a Square within the city, where a masked ball was taking place. Every ones dancing around, not much to say here other than that it was a ball.

The girl seen previously accepting the bribe, approaches the skinnier of the two men and takes him off to the crowd, for a dance, she was good looking, who'd say no. The camera spins around them centrally, but focusing on the dancers as a whole.

A guy comes out from the side, dressed in dancers garb and proceeds to stab this skinnier man in the neck, with what looks like the finger blade from AC1. Man dies spewing blood, garbble garbble etcetc.

The 2nd of the men, the fatter one, notices this and proceeds to run, after sending the guards after the protagonist. Who, by this time has reached the roof and runs parallel to the target who continues to run on the floor. The player jumps off onto the ground and the fat man stops. commenting on the fanciness of the jump.

Facing off, the fat man continues to speak. i cant quite recall the exact words but it was something along the lines of

"It was a shame that your mother had to die, she was a beautiful woman ... Your father on the other hand, it was due to your arrogance that he died"

The protagonist then shoots at the fat Man with a bolt pistol, and the trailer ends.

Post trailer discussion, a family feud was hinted at, yet nothing was said about the brotherhood. Disguises were also said to play a part in this game. The trailer was not fully textured or rendered but seemed on par to the crow trailer originally showed for assassins creed 1. due to the lack of textures and the like combined with the fluidity i would assume it wasn't game play. furthermore after the trailer was shown, i was shown 3 pictures of the protagonist, all in different clothes and chose to pick a favourite. significantly underneath the word ezio was written on all 3 pictures. I believe this to be the guys name, as it sounds Italian. Again his face wasn't entirely shown, so i assume it is the future reliving the past again.

Was told that this would be shown at a game expo this year, but not told which one. hinted E3 when pressured. release was given tho on a broad scale. Late this year early next.

Sounds plausible.

I actually really liked AC1, despite its flaws I lost many an hour to it.

^As posted on EG, but thought I'd slap it here too^
#1 at 13:41:12 - 25/02/2009
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ehm, bump! :)

This seems to be getting rather good reviews (Except for Rhythm who says the PS3 version is crap again^.^)
#2 at 19:22:37 - 17/11/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I didn't say the PS3 version was crap, I said I was pissed off that the PS3 version is supposedly a rubbish port. I'm starting to get miffed with the shitty porting that's going on this generation. Apparently devs are dead set on ensuring PC and PS3 owners are getting a raw deal. Understandable seeing how well the 360 has sold but still deeply frustrating to us single-platform owners

/has just cancelled Dragon Age today because it's utterly *unplayable* on the PS3
#3 at 20:12:13 - 17/11/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Anyway, with Dragon Age out the way, this is looking to be a good buy :-)
#4 at 20:12:41 - 17/11/2009
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ah, I thought you had somehow played it already.
#5 at 20:20:58 - 17/11/2009
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
A colleague at work who has all of the consoles this gen bought Modern Warfare on PS3 just because he hadn't bought any games for it yet. It's strange/sad that the big multi-platform games are getting such crap ports on PS3, but I remember reading that due to how late it was to market, all the multi-platform games were running with the 360 as the lead development platform. Seems also that the PS3 architecture is proving difficult to port to. Sony really need to sort this out next time, as it's not the first time the hardware has been convoluted - but last time the PS2 had the headstart, and so was lead platform, but it still wasn't easy to really get the best out of it.
#6 at 02:24:34 - 18/11/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Phil Kollar (ex-1up, now at Game Informer) has been tweeting this morning about the fact that he started on PS3 yet has now switched to 360 because of "visual issues" :-(
#7 at 07:48:48 - 18/11/2009
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I really enjoyed the original, despite the limited mission types, and am looking forward to playing this over the weekend. Climbing to the top of a tower and haydiving back to the ground is one of videogaming's great pleasures...
#8 at 09:17:39 - 18/11/2009
Jellyhead
Flag
Comments:35
Thread Kills:38(4%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I'm waiting for some hands-on impressions first, i love what they've done with it and the improvements over the first game but every movie i've seen of this game tears like a bastard.

It's how i knew it was a Ubisoft game :(
#9 at 09:31:41 - 18/11/2009
oneiros
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Review over at EG; don't recall any mention of tearing...
#10 at 09:39:30 - 18/11/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
oneiros said:Review over at EG; don't recall any mention of tearing...

They didn't last time either.

And last time, annoyingly, selected areas tore like buggery while others didn't. So that was actually WORSE than the whole thing tearing because you'd just find Acre was alright only to get into Jerusalem and find it was fucking horrendous.
#11 at 09:09:08 - 19/11/2009
oneiros
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Stop trying to dampen my ardour Peej; I'm really looking forward to this. ;P
#12 at 09:45:09 - 19/11/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm hoping that somehow everyone's wrong about the tearing. I think the setting sounds good, and there were ace moments of stealthy sneaky killing in the first one that almost had me forgetting the tearing.

My copy's sat at home so I guess I'll find out tonight.

Still a bit pissed off that they didn't do a French Revolution-set game but there'll probably be a third.
#13 at 09:48:16 - 19/11/2009
oneiros
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Eurogamer / Digital Foundry said:
For 360 owners, here's where we see what you might call classic Assassin's Creed performance: 5.2 per cent torn frames (just like the first game) with a 24FPS minimum (ditto). It bears out a gameplay experience which suggests that playing ACII feels very similar to playing the original: off-putting screen-tear when it does manifest and a sense that the game isn't really as solid as you would hope it would be two years after its predecessor came out.

PS3 gets a 24FPS minimum, with 22.6 per cent screen-tear. Yes, the sequel is clearly a big improvement over the first game in terms of raw performance, especially in terms of a smoother frame-rate, but the tearing is clearly a very big issue, and it's most especially evident in crowded scenes. The very nature of Assassin's Creed II means there are a lot of crowded scenes.
#14 at 17:40:48 - 19/11/2009
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Ah, that'll be good enough. Didn't mind the problems in AC1 too much and if it's a slight improvement it should be even less of a problem. Unless it's such a minor improvement that you can only see it when you play them side by side.
#15 at 17:48:25 - 19/11/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
oneiros said:
Eurogamer / Digital Foundry said:
For 360 owners, here's where we see what you might call classic Assassin's Creed performance: 5.2 per cent torn frames (just like the first game) with a 24FPS minimum (ditto). It bears out a gameplay experience which suggests that playing ACII feels very similar to playing the original: off-putting screen-tear when it does manifest and a sense that the game isn't really as solid as you would hope it would be two years after its predecessor came out.

PS3 gets a 24FPS minimum, with 22.6 per cent screen-tear. Yes, the sequel is clearly a big improvement over the first game in terms of raw performance, especially in terms of a smoother frame-rate, but the tearing is clearly a very big issue, and it's most especially evident in crowded scenes. The very nature of Assassin's Creed II means there are a lot of crowded scenes.

;_;

So not only does it tear but it sounds like I bought the wrong version too :(
#16 at 17:49:36 - 19/11/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Alrighty then, after a couple of hours of being sucked into my own personal-a Dolmio-a Day (that's what the accents remind me of) I'm finding it alright. Still a bit miffed that the whole background plot is so fucking tedious but once you're into the sim, it's a lot better - and there's more than enough distraction in the main quests and side games that so far I haven't had time to get too bitchy about some of the weird graphical nonsense going on (Note to Ubisoft: For fuck's sake send your modellers and animators on some anatomy classes and teach them how to do mouths that don't look like Elmo's mouth from Sesame Street, ta).

The Venice setting is great though it feels a lot harder to free-run this time around simply because of the architecture - but once again I found myself staring at buildings on the way into work and thinking "yep, handhold there, foothold there, no way would I be able to climb that bit there".

The storyline's as cheesy as fuck, main characters a bit annoying compared to the last dude, but the action's very good indeed. Fighting feels more fluid and the ancillary moves you learn and can pull off are quite cool.

One point of annoyance, I haven't managed to murder any beggars yet.
#17 at 09:04:05 - 20/11/2009
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
As no-one seems to be doing this particularly cheap I may go for the PC version this time around as it's a lot less cash and it's only single player. I can easily replicate my console gaming experience with a wired 360 pad while playing it on my HD telly.

AC1 supported DX10.1 for about five minutes before Nvidia bitched because they didn't support it, I wonder if this one does?
#18 at 11:39:49 - 20/11/2009
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'm kinda intrigued by this but as I didn't get anywhere close to completing the first game I maybe ought to give it another go...
#19 at 11:56:17 - 20/11/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Whizzo said:As no-one seems to be doing this particularly cheap I may go for the PC version this time around as it's a lot less cash and it's only single player. I can easily replicate my console gaming experience with a wired 360 pad while playing it on my HD telly.

AC1 supported DX10.1 for about five minutes before Nvidia bitched because they didn't support it, I wonder if this one does?

Hey at least if you opt for the PC version you can loc V-Synch on. That won't fix the dreadful character models or the muppet mouths but it'll fix the tearing!
#20 at 12:06:09 - 20/11/2009
oneiros
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
HairyArse said:
I didn't get anywhere close to completing the first game

I did, including all the optional investigations; no fscking way I was hunting out all those damn flags though...
#21 at 13:00:08 - 20/11/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I just completed the main quest and did most of the eagle look out stuff.

Tougher this time round. Venetian architecture doesn't lend itself well to being shinned up!

Had a lovely moment of in-game vertigo at the very top of The Duomo. You can stand right on the pinnacle of the crucifix at the top.

Course, I then lost my footing and fell which wasn't particularly clever (the control system does seem to like propelling me into space when I'm trying to scramble down safely)
#22 at 13:02:05 - 20/11/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
About 4 hours in and this is looking like it might beat Uncharted and Batman to GOTY. I can't believe just how much they've built upon the concept they kicked off in episode 1. At this rate I'm guessing this'll be a 20+ hour campaign without taking the hundreds of side quests into account
#23 at 08:17:04 - 22/11/2009
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Comments:43
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:75
Star Rating
I agree, it's really doing it for me too, and I'm only two assassinations in.

Aside from changes to gameplay - and the side missions seem more compelling - it just shows what a difference better characterisation and scripting makes. I don't think Enzio is annoying, I think he actually has some warmth to him. And it pricks its potential for pomposity with some genuinely funny moments (love the scene when you first bring Leonardo something to fix). It helps that I'm a sucker for the time period and all that Medici intrigue.

I'm a sucker for RPG elements in action-adventure, and I like what they've done here: money means something, therefore it's worth exploring for chests. Also, between missions,I'm picking up these statues and placing them on pedestals. Do I know what they are for? Do I hell. Does it make me want to explore? Yep.

It feels like a very rich game right now, let's hope it can sustain it.
#24 at 09:12:29 - 22/11/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I LOLed when I met my uncle at the villa ;-)
#25 at 09:19:57 - 22/11/2009
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Doesn't tearing add to the "simulation" effect because Assassin's Creed is actually

Spoiler

SET IN THE FUTURE?
#26 at 10:58:02 - 22/11/2009
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
Rhythm said:I LOLed when I met my uncle at the villa ;-)

Yeah, that was a nice touch :-)
#27 at 15:34:11 - 22/11/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Rhythm said:I LOLed when I met my uncle at the villa ;-)

Ditto! Definitely a lovely moment!

Liking this a lot more now it's getting tougher. Graphical letdowns aside, there's a hell of a lot more to do this time around and the main storyline is busy enough to keep me entertained.

I will knife that english tech bastard to death though, see if I don't.
#28 at 09:13:03 - 23/11/2009
oneiros
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Spent way too long playing this over the weekend; my right trigger finger is sore from all the free-running. Absolutely fantastic game though; once the lengthy introduction is our of the way, it just keeps on giving. I've just finished the third area of Florence and have nabbed all the Viewpoints in Tuscany; there really is so much to do in between the main memory quests.

Even the tearing isn't really bothering me. Yes, it does tear - often - but the offset between the frames doesn't seem too great. Not a deal breaker for me, although others may disagree. ;)

peej said:

I assumed he was voiced by Jack Davenport, but according to the credits, it's Danny Wallace.

Surprised we've seen so little if the present day plot in the game; each time I complete a sequence, I assume I'll be heading back to the Animus, but no...
#29 at 09:18:39 - 23/11/2009
FlexibleFeline
Flag
Star Rating
oneiros said:Spent way too long playing this over the weekend; my right trigger finger is sore from all the free-running. Absolutely fantastic game though; once the lengthy introduction is our of the way, it just keeps on giving. I've just finished the third area of Florence and have nabbed all the Viewpoints in Tuscany; there really is so much to do in between the main memory quests.

Even the tearing isn't really bothering me. Yes, it does tear - often - but the offset between the frames doesn't seem too great. Not a deal breaker for me, although others may disagree. ;)

peej said:

I assumed he was voiced by Jack Davenport, but according to the credits, it's Danny Wallace.

Surprised we've seen so little if the present day plot in the game; each time I complete a sequence, I assume I'll be heading back to the Animus, but no...

...which frankly is a good thing, I think. The more I'm kept in the past and Italy, the better. Though I do find the glyphs / The Truth intriguing.

I'm in my first PoP style section, the catacombs, and I can't believe I'm stuck for finding the route through. Numpty.
#30 at 16:31:26 - 23/11/2009

home