Author Reply
Mapster
Flag
Comments:72
Thread Kills:14(2%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I need an FM transmitter so I can use my iPod Touch 2nd Gen in my car. The car stereo doesn't have an 'aux' input so this is my only cheap option.

Thing is, I got one today from Argos that charges itself from the cigarette lighter, but it the charger doesn't fit!

Is there an FM transmitter that doesn't need the cigarette lighter to work and is actually worth the money?

TY!
#1 at 02:12:57 - 20/04/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
LISTS.

All compatible with your iPod; I've never tried any but one of them should do you.
#2 at 02:31:24 - 20/04/2009
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Word of warning though - they don't work that well unless you're in the middle of nowhere. the airwaves are a crowded place ! I got one a couple of years ago, and it was ok, but I'm glad my new car plays mp3 discs.
#3 at 02:46:38 - 20/04/2009
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I got the GEAR4 Airzone FM dock, which is not bad, it's a little quiet so you need to crank your stereo up quite high, so you'll probably wind up with some hiss as well, which does make it sound a bit like a cassette deck. Retro.

It powers itself from the iPod, but doesn't seem to make much impact on battery life for that. I have a radio in most rooms of the house, so it's much cheaper than getting a speaker dock.

One problem is, it turns itself off after a few seconds of silence, presumably as a power saving feature, so if you're iPod hits one of those twatting annoying "hidden" tracks people like to shove at the end of an album, with the volume of whichever radio turned up high, you'll get a sudden really noisy blast of static.

The actual plug makes it a bit wobbly in the curved bottom of a Gen 2 as well, it hasn't broken, but it does make the arrangement feel a bit flimsy, it's better than most GEAR4 stuff though.
#4 at 11:34:10 - 20/04/2009
Mapster
Flag
Comments:72
Thread Kills:14(2%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
That 'turning itself off feature' sounds really crap, I could see it causing an accident as a blast of really loud static comes over the speakers!

Apart from that it sounds ace :)
#5 at 11:40:06 - 20/04/2009

home