Carlo
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:39(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I've never 'finished' Elite.

In fact, I don't think I've got off Mostly Harmless. I consider this a gaming (indeed gamer) failure of the worst kind.

/downloads OOLite and prepares for a long slog through a gaming classic.

Anyone else?
#1 at 18:53:24 - 19/06/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
There was never any finishing it really. I mean you could get the highest rank, but it still went on after that.

I've always wanted to properly finish off Wheelie on the speccy and finally beat the ghost rider back home. Never managed it.

Would also like to do at least one speed run through The Last V8. Saw it done once and was gobsmacked at how tiny the game actually is. Probably why it was made so excrutiatingly hard.

But then I have Aspergers / Downs apparently, so the likelihood of me being able to even pick up a joypad let alone finish a game is remote.
#2 at 18:57:57 - 19/06/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
What's OOlite and will it run on a netbook?

/also missed out on Elite

#3 at 19:02:05 - 19/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Rhythm said:What's OOlite and will it run on a netbook?

/also missed out on Elite

OOLite is the open source version of Elite.

Should run on a modest PC fine (It's running fantastically on a 1st gen Macbook Air).

It's harder than I remember it.
#4 at 20:25:52 - 19/06/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
You can also grab the shaded-poly version of Elite from various abandonware sites.

Abandonia is a veritable goldmine of stuff like this:

Link

Elite Plus
#5 at 21:40:12 - 19/06/2009
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I made it to DEADLY on 3 seperate occasions, but flog as I might, tedium always set in before I ever got to see that final badge of ELITE.

Trouble was, you'd maxed out the ship and cargo capacity long before you got to DEADLY, so it was the grind to end all grinds.

I used to use my vast sums of money to just launch from the space station, shoot at it until the police came after me, then spend ages killing all the police as they launched to attack me, then when my shields were nearly gone I'd launch an escape pod and go straight back in the station, buy another escape pod and go and do it again. Best way to rack up a huge kill-count, I have no idea what other criteria were needed, I always assumed ranking up was just based on how many ships you'd shot to shit.
#6 at 22:21:11 - 19/06/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It did become a grind and certainly, returning to it now it really feels like it would be a supreme effort, not to mention a massive time sink - time you could spend playing something else - to go back and go through the motions again just to finally see Elite status.

Going back to Abandonia made me realise I never did get round to writing a proper retro love-in for Bioforge though. Something I aim to rectify in the next week or so.
#7 at 22:25:40 - 19/06/2009
Rincewind
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:0
Star Rating
I struggled to bloody well dock at the first space station. Not only that but if there was any combat involved my game pretty much ended - I was definitely NOT 1337.

/hangs head in shame
#8 at 22:52:22 - 19/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:It did become a grind and certainly, returning to it now it really feels like it would be a supreme effort, not to mention a massive time sink - time you could spend playing something else - to go back and go through the motions again just to finally see Elite status.

Going back to Abandonia made me realise I never did get round to writing a proper retro love-in for Bioforge though. Something I aim to rectify in the next week or so.
So edit a save game to the kind of status you had before and jump straight back in!

PS:

Harmless 0
Mostly Harmless 8
Poor 16
Average 32
Above Average 64
Competent 128
Dangerous 512
Deadly 2560
Elite 6400
#9 at 23:17:14 - 19/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Rincewind said:I struggled to bloody well dock at the first space station. Not only that but if there was any combat involved my game pretty much ended - I was definitely NOT 1337.

/hangs head in shame
You do know there is a procedure to doc right?

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/How_to_Dock

Piece of piss if you follow the instructions!
#10 at 23:19:25 - 19/06/2009
Rincewind
Flag
Star Rating
Carlo said:
Rincewind said:I struggled to bloody well dock at the first space station. Not only that but if there was any combat involved my game pretty much ended - I was definitely NOT 1337.

/hangs head in shame

Piece of piss if you follow the instructions!

Yeah, wiki's weren't around when I was playing :-)

I'm an old bastard you know! ;-)
#11 at 23:28:12 - 19/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I was the same Rince!
#12 at 23:29:24 - 19/06/2009
Rincewind
Flag
Star Rating
Carlo said:I was the same Rince!

Of course, I can't rule out the probability that I was just shite! :-)
#13 at 23:39:17 - 19/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Well a productive night so far.

Found a good 2 planet rotation (food/Wine on one, computers on the other) with very stable governments that's proving to be a nice earner, almost got the money for a larger cargo hold.

Got 1 kill and over 500Cr.

It's a bit boring flying through such a safe trade route, but for now, I'm making money and not dying, so it's all good.

#14 at 23:52:47 - 19/06/2009
Rincewind
Flag
Star Rating
Carlo said:Well a productive night so far.

Found a good 2 planet rotation (food & computers) with very stable governments that's proving to be a nice earner, almost got the money for a larger cargo hold.

Got 1 kill and over 500Cr.

It's a bit boring flying through such a safe trade route, but for now, I'm making money and not dying, so it's all good.

Yep, I'm shite. It'd take me all night to learn to fly in a straight line.

/damn you Carlo! :-)
#15 at 23:56:19 - 19/06/2009
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
Carlo said:

/hangs head in shame

Piece of piss if you follow the instructions

There wasn't a marker beacon in the original versions of the game that I played. Still, the official practice was basically the same:

* Fly towards the planet until you get the S indicator.
* Fly to a point between the planet and the space station with the planet on the left and the station on the right
* When close, switch to right window view
* When the space station appears in your sights, apply the brakes. DO NOT FIRE!
* Turn to face the station. Apply rotation to match the stations rotation.
* Press the gas

Though in practice, the last two steps were
* Turn to face the station. Cruise up to it as low speed.
* Once close, and it looks like the station entrance is coming up to horizontal, floor it.
* Don't worry if you get a few scratches on the way in. Most things can be repaired for free in a space station.

Great game... though the enemy AI on the BBC original was a bit stupid as I remember it.
#16 at 02:11:01 - 20/06/2009
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I had a mate with a BBC and Elite on a floppy drive. After sitting through the tape load on a Beeb it was heaven. i had to wait 'til it came out on the Speccy, and try and work that fucking Lens-lok security !
#17 at 13:39:35 - 20/06/2009
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I couldn't go back- I'm currently playing Space Rangers 2 with the planet stuff turned off. Thats pretty much elite but more modern and a great deal of fun.

Although thats ground to a halt now I've installed Championship Manager 01/02 with the 08/09 player database :(
#18 at 10:58:21 - 22/06/2009
duncan
Flag
Comments:19
Thread Kills:21(9%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Good going.

Think I made it to competent last time I had another bash it.

Scarily Eve has in many ways succeeded in delivering on my wildest dreams for elite as a kid. Of course as a naive kid I didn't realise what a heartless bunch of bastards most of the people in the game would turn out to be.
#19 at 15:48:26 - 22/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Update:
href='http://wiki.alioth.net/images/1/17/StarChart-Galaxy-000.png'>Galaxy 1 star chart.
I've left the 'old worlds' (Lave is 7 in that chart, I'm currently in Beusrior (89)) and heading over to 'GalCentre' along the main trading route.

I've had to buy an ECM now, as the number or space pirates hurling Missiles at me has increased so much. If I get a chance, I'm hoping to run into some of the more seedier Rock Hermits... I've heard they pay a fortune for booze! Maybe that will get me my military laser faster.

1,200cr
Clean
Harmless (6 kills)
Large Cargo Bay, ECM, and a Pulse Laser.

A 'better' star chart: http://stderr.org/doc/oolite/OoliteRS.pdf.gz if anyone's tracking all this.
#20 at 17:09:47 - 22/06/2009
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Carlo said:I've heard they pay a fortune for booze! Maybe that will get me my military laser faster.

Good going Carlo. Is the military laser necessary ? I remember getting told once to go for the mining laser because when you used it to destroy a ship you could collect alloys from the wreckage...
#21 at 17:19:20 - 22/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Oh and if anyone else is playing this and thinks it's taking AGES to get to the space-port from where you jumped out of Hyperspace because when you try using the jump drive there are 'masses' preventing them... Well it's probably because you're in the system's space-lane...

The space-lane is a straight line directly from the whichspace buoy (the place where you jump out of hyperspace) and the planet. It's littered with pirates, traders, and police.

What you should do it fly perpendicular from the planet (ie get the planet in one of you side-views then jump 20 seconds). Now turn towards the planet and jump as normal.

You stay in the trade lane if you want to bump into people (like you're a stinking pirate ARRRGH!) or want to shoot the police...
#22 at 17:52:49 - 22/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
"Mostly Harmless" o/
7,500Cr
1st long-distance delivery job.

I've also traveled from Lave (Bottom right) to the centre of the galaxy, then got a job that required me to move some cargo to the very top-left of the Galaxy - a dark corner of the Universe called Cemave.

Got myself 32 tones of computers going cheap, so I'm off to a technologically retarded planet called Itsi. Damn bug-eyed lizards can't be trusted and they're always at war, but their credits are as good as everyone else.

Got enough for a military laser now as well, but I think I'll hold off getting one right now, keep enough cash in my bank to buy a full cargo every time and maximise my profits.

A docking computer'll also be on the cards, docking was fun the first 30 times, but it's getting to be a bit of a drag now :S
#23 at 23:56:25 - 22/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Military rating now "Average" :D
Got my military laser too, wonder if this is more than a co-incidence?!

I've also found out that firing on traders is not considered a criminal act (at least doesn't affect your criminal rating) in some of the more feudal and anarchic systems. Which is handy, as I want a clean record too.

Compared to WoW, this doesn't feel like an endless grind to me... But then, breaking rocks with a sledge hammer would feel like a holiday compared to WoW-grind.

Oh, got my first taste of witchspace today, but I only had a pea-shooter, so I didn't live long :S

Onward!

#24 at 21:30:50 - 24/06/2009
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'm going to join you. :)
I have no clue what it is about, but it sounds interesting.

What am I supposed to do? I just crashed into a planet. What is the goal of the game? How do I get on my way?
#25 at 23:20:49 - 24/06/2009
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Bah, in any new game I would know by now who the bad guys are and knew how I can defeat them. :(
#26 at 23:46:06 - 24/06/2009
Carlo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Oh Syrok.

Elite (or OOlite now I guess) is a game that's from way back in the day when things were a bit purer. You land on the orbiting spacestation not the planet (graphics couldn't cope with stuff like that until Elite II: Frontier). I'l give you several links at the end of this post to help you out.

Also, the main friends or foes really depends on your criminal status. If you're well behaved, pirates are your enemies, but if you run guns, drugs, and slaves, the police will want to see you dead. So it's really about what kind of life you want to lead.

I've just found out yur criminal status is not adjusted when you shoot down traders in anarchy or feudal systems, but equally, these are lawless places and best avoided in the beginning.

The overarching enemies are the Thargoids I guess. But you'll learn about them later. Despite all the other races (Feline, Lizards, rodents and all), the Thargoids are described as 'Aliens' (!), and the Galactic Navy want to clear them out.

Also, there are several addons to this 'basic' OOLIte system that add all kinds of things, including several chained and unchined missions that extend on the few missions that were in the original (which you will not even know about until you're knee deep in the game and have many kills under you - legitimate or otherwise.

I'd say you should read the basic instructions, and the introduction to the game ASAP. There is a surprising depth to this game.

Ultimately, you get out when you put in. But learning to dock in a spacestation without a Docking Computer is in itself a massive accomplishment!!! So keep trying.

OK, here's those links:

http://wiki.alioth.net/images/7/74/OoliteRS.zip (Keys etc)

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/How_to_Dock (How to dock)

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Missions (Missions - WARNING SPOILERS!!!)

Most of all, post here if you've got questions, or need advise. I personally find it fascinating that you're got no idea how to play this (I never considered it)

Just don't give up just yet!!! This is quite literally the great-grand-father of all space-trading and exploration games. It's the one that started it all (and continues to influence them).
#27 at 00:31:14 - 25/06/2009
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Wait. Docking is hard? Somebody should have told me that I managed that on my first go. :D

I personally find it fascinating that you're got no idea how to play this (I never considered it)

I probably felt like my parents to when I hand the controller over to them.

"Just press this button and steer the car with that thing"
"Ok... um, what? What's going on? Gaaaah!! Erm, yeah. I just let you play"

There are too many buttons on my keyboard. I haven't played a computer game in ages. :/
#28 at 01:01:28 - 25/06/2009
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
Docking's not hard. Docking after you've survived a pirate ambush and have loads of kill points under your belt is hard. And docking after a thargoid attack is very difficult indeed.

Mind you, I've never been Elite. I got to Dangerous in Elite and Very deadly in Arcelite (which requires more kills) but I never got to Elite in any version of the game.
#29 at 01:40:52 - 25/06/2009
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
mal said:Docking's not hard. Docking after you've survived a pirate ambush and have loads of kill points under your belt is hard. And docking after a thargoid attack is very difficult indeed.

Mind you, I've never been Elite. I got to Dangerous in Elite and Very deadly in Arcelite (which requires more kills) but I never got to Elite in any version of the game.

I'm not surprised Mal - if Oolite is anything to go by, the difference between Dangerous and Elite is about 4000 kills !

Just out of interest to those of you who have them, Oolite runs very nicely on an Eee PC 900. Just make sure you don't press 'D' instead of 'S' when you're adjusting speed, as it dumps your cargo.
#30 at 12:06:54 - 25/06/2009

home