Author Reply
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:169
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So... anyone else? Yes yes, big commercial sellout, blahdeblah, massive ripoff, aging lineup, etc., but I'm still going.

Thing for me is it's just an opportunity for a few days away larking about with my mates, and with us all being a bit old and mostly married and with jobs and stuff, that doesn't actually happen very often these days. Have to confess I'm not all that excited by this year's lineup but then most of my highlights last year came from just wandering around the smaller stages listening to bands I'd never heard of before (um, that and the Kings of Leon), so I fully expect to do the same this year.

Heading down there on Wednesday, did the same last year and managed to bag a pretty decent spot for our tent, just up the hill to the side of the pyramid stage - there were closer spots available but we didn't fancy the risk of the tents getting flooded if it rained - and it worked out really well, apart from the minor issue that sleeping on a hill caused me to wake up every morning bundled at the bottom of my tent. :/

Weather forecast looking cautiously promising - might be a bit cloudy but likely to be quite warm and only with the odd shower. Fingers crossed and all that!
#1 at 22:13:27 - 22/06/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4682
Thread Kills:456(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I always slag it off but I always feel secretly jealous of anyone who can go. It's got me eyeing up family-friendly festivals though (like Cropredy and the Cornbury Festival) as I can see me doing those when the nipper's a little bit older
#2 at 22:46:56 - 22/06/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Not been since '97 but now I have Rheya and Anara I'm itching to get back - the kid's field at Glasto is incredible and the atmosphere unbeatable
#3 at 22:49:31 - 22/06/2009
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:133(5%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Have a good time, those that are going. I really didn't like the look of the lineup this year (nor Reading's either), and would much rather have gone to Sonisphere, but I'm on holiday.
#4 at 01:01:23 - 23/06/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, as I say the lineup's a bit of a disappointment - I'm looking forward to seeing Blur and a few others but there's far too many creaky old acts in there for my liking, I dunno whether that says more about the music scene at the moment than it does about the festival itself though.

But there'll be some good stuff at the smaller stages, no doubt - that's the thing with Glasto, the sheer quantity of stuff going on means it's almost impossible not to find something you like.
#5 at 11:35:14 - 23/06/2009
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yeah, Glastonbury seems to be more about the overall experience, rather than the music specifically, so I reckon anyone who goes will have a great time.

A friend of mine plays in a band called Subsource, and are playing on one of the smaller stages. They're sort of a Chemical Brothers/Prodigy type band, but a bit more edgy - he plays guitar and percussion. So if you like that sorta thing, check them out.
#6 at 12:08:41 - 23/06/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Aye, I'll try to give 'em a look if I'm in the vicinity!

If the weather stays like this for the rest of the week I'll be a happy man. :)
#7 at 14:16:04 - 23/06/2009
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:42(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
Not been since 97 myself, but I'd love to go back. Who cares what the lineup on the main stage is like? I think I only went to the main stage twice when I went - spent most time at the second stage, at jazz world, or in the dance tent. Or just pootling around.

Went to Wireless last year and that was just like a funfair with none of the magic of glasto - though the loos were a lot cleaner than at glasto to be fair.
#8 at 16:29:42 - 23/06/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
mal said:Who cares what the lineup on the main stage is like? I think I only went to the main stage twice when I went - spent most time at the second stage, at jazz world, or in the dance tent. Or just pootling around.

Pootling around FTW! When I went in '95 I spent pretty much all my time shopping and getting wrecked in the cabaret tent
#9 at 16:52:42 - 23/06/2009
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1765
Thread Kills:125(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Rhythm said:Not been since '97 but now I have Rheya and Anara I'm itching to get back - the kid's field at Glasto is incredible and the atmosphere unbeatable

Have you dropped another sproglet mate?
#10 at 16:55:19 - 23/06/2009
Barchetta
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:9(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
2000 was my last time at Glasto - Bowie was excellent, the rest was a blur but a very good time. Weather-wise I hope the run-up to the weekend means conditions will be decent for those who are going.

Best not camp too close to the stages though - I remember seeing swathes of tramped tents back then but that was the last year before the fences I think so hopefully it is a little more civilised.

My eldest (5) has become a bit of a Neil Diamond fan since watching last years TV so I guess this year he's going to be getting into the Boss....

Our last festival - 'Bearded Theory' near Ashbourne was a total swamp and was a bit of shame for the kids as it was their first experience of festival life. The main stage disappeared in a mini-tornado (along with some portaloos) but we still enjoyed it.
#11 at 18:48:48 - 23/06/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4682
Thread Kills:456(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Last festival I went to was Reading back in 2000. Glasto - last time I went to that, I camped in my car (a huge 1952 mercedes diesel) and it was the best camping experience I've ever had there. Warm, dry, relatively thief proof (though some cunt managed to disconnect the 3 pointed star from the bonnet and made off with it). It must've been a very good year because I can't for the life of me remember any of the acts apart from Jesus Jones!
#12 at 18:59:33 - 23/06/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
My favourite spot last year was definitely the jazz tent - partly because of the music, partly because it saved us from the torrential rain on the second night. :)

Barchetta said:2000 was my last time at Glasto - Bowie was excellent, the rest was a blur but a very good time. Weather-wise I hope the run-up to the weekend means conditions will be decent for those who are going.

Best not camp too close to the stages though - I remember seeing swathes of tramped tents back then but that was the last year before the fences I think so hopefully it is a little more civilised.

Yeah, I don't remember seeing any entire tents getting trampled last year, although there were plenty of accidental trips over guide ropes, often into the attached tent as a result - but then with the combination of a million tightly-packed and hard-to-see guide ropes and thousands of drunk/stoned folks shambling about, it's hard to see any other result really. :)

The main problem when pitching your tent is just trying to find a spot at a carefully balanced distance from the toilets: close enough that it's not an epic trek to get there, but far enough so the smell doesn't constantly linger around your tent! Also trying to find somewhere that isn't a major thoroughfare through the tents is useful, so you don't have folks walking past at all hours, but the trouble is that it's kinda hard to know where people are going to walk until all the tents are pitched, and by then it's too late!

Our last festival - 'Bearded Theory' near Ashbourne was a total swamp and was a bit of shame for the kids as it was their first experience of festival life. The main stage disappeared in a mini-tornado (along with some portaloos) but we still enjoyed it.

Crikey, that sounds a bit apocalyptic. :O Awesome name for a festival though! The mud's definitely the killer, especially on a site as big as Glasto, but then at the same time the festival's been going long enough that they've kinda gotten used to dealing with the mud - major routes have decking laid down and they chuck a load of hay over the really muddy bits once it's stopped raining so it's not too bad. As long as it doesn't rain constantly it should be all good!
#13 at 19:44:19 - 23/06/2009
Barchetta
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:9(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Hope its all good for you. I've more memories of stuff away from the stages than I have for most of the performances tbh. That's the beauty of some of the more established festivals - yeah, the headliners may be the draw for some but its all the serendipitous finds around the edges and the social stuff that lingers.

I do seem to remember an inordinate amount of scousers there and a very crazy Welshman who arrived on Thursday with a crate (yes) of some sort of unholy moonshine and a huge bong who, as far as we could tell, never left his tent and would sing Tom Jones and old traditonal Welsh songs until sunrise. Ah the memories :)

Enjoy yerselves.
#14 at 21:04:47 - 23/06/2009
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Cheers dude, definitely agreed with yer there - despite seeing a lot of very good bands last year and getting a lot of great weather, my favourite memory is actually of sitting in the rain enjoying a beer with my mates back at our tents. Good times!
#15 at 21:56:42 - 23/06/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:130(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
nekotcha said:apart from the minor issue that sleeping on a hill caused me to wake up every morning bundled at the bottom of my tent. :/

:D

There hasn't been much of a build up this year has there? It's hard to identify many bands that are massive these days because of the lack of charts that anyone looks at and no Top of the Pops. I assume there are lots of bands that people that follow music closely will be excited about (in the smaller tents) but I haven't seen a list anywhere of who's playing.

First I've heard that Blur are playing.
#16 at 23:27:47 - 23/06/2009
JimJam
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
nekotcha said:Aye, I'll try to give 'em a look if I'm in the vicinity!

If the weather stays like this for the rest of the week I'll be a happy man. :)

Saw him this evening Neko - apparently they're on the Arcadia Stage at around midnight (3rd from top on the bill) on the Friday night, to give you an idea.
#17 at 01:33:51 - 24/06/2009
mal
Flag
Star Rating
Micro_Explosion said:
There hasn't been much of a build up this year has there? It's hard to identify many bands that are massive these days because of the lack of charts that anyone looks at and no Top of the Pops. I assume there are lots of bands that people that follow music closely will be excited about (in the smaller tents) but I haven't seen a list anywhere of who's playing.

First I've heard that Blur are playing.

Looking at the line-up here there's quite a few big names playing as well as blur - Lily Allen, NERD, Ting Tings, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN(?), Pendulum, Prodigy, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian.

Damn, looking at that list, I wish I was going now. Not particularly the the lineup above, but I'd like to see Ray Davies, Roots Manuva, Regina Spektor, Little Boots, Art Brut, Qemists, Horace Andy. Seems everyone's playing there - including Status Quo and Tony Christie!
#18 at 15:15:51 - 24/06/2009
mal
Flag
Star Rating
mal said:
Looking at the line-up here there's quite a few big names playing as well as blur - Lily Allen, NERD, Ting Tings, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN(?), Pendulum, Prodigy, Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Franz Ferdinand, Kasabian.

Damn, looking at that list, I wish I was going now. Not particularly the the lineup above, but I'd like to see Ray Davies, Roots Manuva, Regina Spektor, Little Boots, Art Brut, Qemists, Horace Andy. Seems everyone's playing there - including Status Quo and Tony Christie!

Anyone else watching the highlights, or the radio, or (gasp) actually at the festival but with t'internet access? (Cue old farts reminiscing about mobiles failing at glasto)

Fairly predictable so far. Lily Allen was an enternatining pop princess (but what the FUCK was she wearing?). The Ting Tings were not as good as on their album, and Regina Spektor was good, but probably better if you were there (but then back in the day, Heather Nova wasn't as good as I was hoping for, in the flesh).

Meanwhile, Little Boots was a little lacking in material, when faced with the lack of intimacy of a festival crowd.

But man, looking at those highlights - four channels of programming, and yet I didn't see anything apart from the main, other and john peel stages.

And boy, how old does Neil Young look now? Just shows what rocking out that hard for over 40 years does to a man, and long may he continue :)

Edit: I should just make clear, Regina Spektor was very, very good.
#19 at 03:27:25 - 27/06/2009
Dougs
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:27(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Did my first festival this year - IOW (Sat and Sun only, missed Prodigy). Seemed rude not to, given it was a 20 min drive away...!

Had an awesome time, just chilling, drinking and taking in the sun. Line up wasn't stellar, but enjoyed White Lies, Razorlight and Stereophonics on the Sat, with an awesome display by the red arrows thrown in. The Sunday wasn't quite as good, with Neil Young closing the show (he's a mentalist, went all Jimi on us and trashed his guitar).

Pixies were disappointing, they just played their set and then fucked off. Didn't help that most of the crowd were a bit baffled as to who they were. Simple Minds were ace though.

Glasto almost looks too big for me. Not sure I could be arsed with the treks to the stages etc. I loved setting up with a blanket close enough to see what is going on, and could move closer if you wanted.

Will def be going next year though. :)
#20 at 08:30:20 - 27/06/2009
mal
Flag
Star Rating
It's certainly a big site, and you'll do a lot of walking over the course of the weekend, but the main stages are pretty concentrated. It's a bit of a trek if you want to get from say, John Peel to the cinema, but odds are you'll get distracted by something on the other stage or jazz world along the way.

Most of the shots you see on TV are taken from the edge of the campsites - directly behind those crowds is usually the edge of one campsite or another. Finding your tent again in the dark at the end of the night can be an adventure mind you :)
#21 at 12:15:21 - 27/06/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
What Mal said - the main stages are generally together, and so's the shopping. Food is *everywhere* and there's so much to see/do that you really wouldn't have a problem finding entertainment without walking too far.

I used to pity the kind of festival goer that was obviously trying to stick to the schedule - you're setting yourself up for disappointment if that's how you kick of a Glasto weekend
#22 at 13:45:18 - 27/06/2009
Syrok
Flag
Comments:450
Thread Kills:82(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The Big Picture has, well, pictures from Glastonbury.
#23 at 19:41:32 - 29/06/2009

home