Author Reply
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Over the years, and because of a lack of free time, I've managed to spend more time collecting games than I have in playing them. In a final attempt to see whether I can still get any enjoyment from it I am identifying a number of games that I will complete (or play to frustration, i.e. stuck at a section with little to no chance of progressing).

As Lucasarts have been so kind as to re-release a number of my favourite games, these will take the lead.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
Star Wars: Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Dirt2
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Wolverine
Dawn of War 2
Titan Quest
Scribblenauts
Secret of Monkey Island

These shall be the initial games. No more shall be bought, apart from those included on the list (and FIFA10), until these are done with. Others will get added to the list from my giant pile over time.

Updates will be provided in this thread regularly.

Join me :)
#1 at 00:55:15 - 17/09/2009
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I could go without buying games for about 2 years with my backlog, and I haven't bought anything all summer, aside from iProd nuggets.

Where was that backlog site Frod linked linked to ages ago? I think I put most of my unplayeds on there. I ought to finish FF12 and Rogue Galaxy, at the very least, but I'm not in the mood for RPGs in the summer. I could do...

Zone of the Enders: The second runner
Burnout Paradise
Assassin's Creed (oh crap, do I really want to play this?)
Lego Indiana Jones
Half Life Episode 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness
Crush
Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII (very near the end of this anyway)
Zelda Wind Waker (very little chance of this, as my GC craps out after half an hour of play)
#2 at 01:29:07 - 17/09/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Assassin's Creed is certainly worth a couple of hours of play. Any more than that depends on how easily bored you get because you'll have seen and done just about everything by then.
#3 at 01:48:26 - 17/09/2009
Carlo
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:39(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I should really try and finish Valkyrie Chronicles. No idea why I stopped playing it, its a good game.

...and KillZone 2 Single player. I stopped playing when I got to the big bridge.

(PS: I've *like* to finish wipeout, but lack the skills :/)
#4 at 11:54:38 - 17/09/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
One of these days I will go back to Fable II and finish it. It took me 2 years between getting Fable 1 and my first finish of the game (I then went back and played it as an evil bast just for completist's sake) so I will get there in the end. Probably. Er, if other shiny things don't get in the way.
#5 at 11:54:59 - 17/09/2009
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Fable 2 is short, easy and brilliant, get on it!

I have to finish Lost Odyssey at some point though.
#6 at 12:15:33 - 17/09/2009
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I've also got Lost Odyssey to complete at some point; I'm up to the last disk but the 'mop everything up to level up or you'll get yourself killed at the end' nature of it just sapped me a little.
#7 at 12:22:15 - 17/09/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
evilashchris said:Fable 2 is short, easy and brilliant, get on it!

I have to finish Lost Odyssey at some point though.

I'm finding it anything but short :) But then I can't seem to get into it as much as I did the original. Just too much talking and "relayshunship" shit :)
#8 at 12:27:30 - 17/09/2009
LockeTribal
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:5(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
At least I'm not the only one with a massive backlog :)

Was desperately trying to finish Persona 3 over the summer but never got around to it. Also want to polish off the following:

ZOE 2
Tales of Eternia
Star Ocean 3

Probably a couple more I can't think of right now too.

On the upside I have finished Crisis Core and Locoroco 2 :)
#9 at 12:37:45 - 17/09/2009
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
As a sort of antidote to this thread, are there games that people have bought and absolutely positively would never want to touch again on pain of death?

Hell-O Spore. Happy 1st birthday you bastard.
#10 at 12:41:12 - 17/09/2009
Carlo
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:39(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Retroid said:I've also got Lost Odyssey to complete at some point; I'm up to the last disk but the 'mop everything up to level up or you'll get yourself killed at the end' nature of it just sapped me a little.
I didn't even put this game on my list.

Those Japanese Obsessive Compulsive'a'thons don't have any appeal, as I've belatedly discovered.
#11 at 12:45:55 - 17/09/2009
Retroid
Flag
Comments:59
Thread Kills:147(4%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I know, just responding to EAC :)

I'd personally recommend Star Wars: Republic Commando & Knight of the Old Republic. Both great games! Got most of the Jedi Knight games myself and not made much headway in them.
#12 at 13:21:11 - 17/09/2009
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Still haven't touched any of these. :(

Even worse, I've got a few more games to add to that list now.

peej said:One of these days I will go back to Fable II and finish it. It took me 2 years between getting Fable 1 and my first finish of the game (I then went back and played it as an evil bast just for completist's sake) so I will get there in the end. Probably. Er, if other shiny things don't get in the way.

This being one. I've managed to get right to the end of it (just recruited the last Hero), but then decided to go back and finish off some of the side quests (including one of the expansion packs) and then drifted on to other things.

Also - Fallout 3. Not sure if I'll even bother with that again now, tbh.

This is why nowadays I tend to avoid reviews + hype and just wait for prices to drop. If I spot a bargain that has had good reviews + impressions, I give it a try - could turn out to be a hidden gem, if not then I just move on to something else.
#13 at 14:46:28 - 17/09/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
From that thread I had:

Stalker: Clear Skies
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Valkyrie Chronicles
Dragon Quest IV

I haven't touched one of them since then. This time I will succeed.
#14 at 20:50:45 - 17/09/2009
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 removed because of poor early reviews.

I've done the first 6 levels of Jedi Kinght and so far it's one of the best games I've played this year. I remember a ridiculous amount of the game from when I played it on release even though I haven't touched it since I completed it then.

Level design is silly (people hanging around in places that they would never be able to get to, no doors from one room to another etc.) but more importantly it's fun. I haven't gotten lost once which is always a sign of excellent design when there are no obvious markers or indicators of where to go and the levels are not entirely closed in.
#15 at 16:41:31 - 20/09/2009

home