Author Reply
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Ok, plenty of game of the year discussions, but how about a list of a few titles that you really wish you hadn't bothered with? (Obviously, usually, that's a short list for me.)

A few titles this year that I wished I hadn't dropped the cash on:

Prototype. Well documented elsewhere, but the lack of finesse and stupid difficulty spikes meant I never really settled into this. Looked like shit, too.

Phantasy Star Portable (PSP). Promised so much on name alone. Played it once. Went back to MHFU.

Alien Breed (XLBA). Pitch black and utterly soulless. Gaming at it's most apathetic.

Op Flashpoint (360). Won't bother finishing the title... until Codemasters try to finish the game. Horrendous. I've since learned that many tims I failed a mission because it just bugged out. That and I should not have to speedrun through a fucking level to beat some arbitrary mission timer. Shocking at every level. Probably the biggest disappointment of the year.

Halo: ODST. "It's way better than the last two games." "It plays really differently." Internet, you owe me some money. Shit, I can't be arsed to finish this one either. And I finished Wet!
#1 at 12:49:04 - 22/12/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Bioshock. Loved Deus Ex, Thief and the 2 System Shocks but Bioshock was dreadful through and through. Poor level design, crap shooty mechanics and rubbish story.

#2 at 12:52:35 - 22/12/2009
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Dead Space. I played it 2.5 times through in order to get the platinum trophy.

Didn't pay for it, so whatever, but the more I look back on that awful weekend, the more horrible it seems. Dead Space is a terrible, terrible game.

(Don't get me wrong, it's a technical achievement. But honestly, why would anyone put themselves through such a miserable experience).

Noby Noby Boy: clearly I'm not as into quirky games as I like to think.

Everyday Shooter: clearly I'm not as into arty games as I like to think.

Resi 4 Wii: It tricks you into thinking it's an awesome game with the whole village scene. However, everything following the castle is rubbish, and ruins the whole experience. Turns out I had stopped playing the PS2 version at exactly the right bit.
#3 at 12:55:22 - 22/12/2009
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
NewYork said:
Noby Noby Boy: clearly I'm not as into quirky games as I like to think.

With you there.

#4 at 12:59:53 - 22/12/2009
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Alien Hominid on XBLA. Bought it for 400 points, and it was a load of crap. Also wish I hadn't bothered with some other XBLA titles like Outrun and Worms 2, as I've hardly played them.
#5 at 13:07:04 - 22/12/2009
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Battlefield 1943 on XBLX. Bit dull really unfortunately.
#6 at 14:44:03 - 22/12/2009
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Prototype: Complete waste of money, utterly dull and soulless though admittedly it probably might have been a different story if I hadn't played InFamous first.

Spore: I would really love to meet Will Wright, to pat him on the back for all the years of enjoyment his games have given me. Then to kick him in the nuts for how shit Spore was.

Killzone 2: Yeah I bought the hype of people coming back from last year's Eurogamer Expo saying how KZ2 looked as good as the best PC fps games. It does but it's so dull. Currently gritting my teeth trying to get through it just because I bought it.

Fable II: I'm just not cut out for games like Fable 2. It just goes on, and on, and on, and on with inane conversations, tedious fetch and carry stuff, and annoyance.

Splosion Man: Not because it's not a great game but because it has so many moments of sheer and utter frustration caused by some seriously horrible checkpointing.
#7 at 15:11:58 - 22/12/2009
LarryBong
Flag
Comments:17
Thread Kills:8(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Operation Flashpoint 2 - a car crash of a game. terrible disappointment given the quality of the original. Codemasters should hang their heads in shame. charging for DLC on a unfinished, buggy mess was an added insult. They should be given out free DLC on a weekly basis to apologise.

Fable 2 - tried to like it but it's boring. no death = no challenge. people go on about it's wonderful british humour but I find the humour embarrassing and unfunny. maybe i'm not british?

Forza 2 - impressive game in many ways but very DULL and dry as dust once you get past the first couple of hours in single player. Almost didn't buy forza 3 because of this but was persuaded by positive comments and strangely it turned out to be one of my favourites of the year even though much the same in many aspects.
#8 at 21:14:35 - 22/12/2009
DDevil
Flag
Comments:240
Thread Kills:15(3%)
AATG Pts:135
Star Rating
Gold Medal
King Of Fighters XII - nice graphics, but where the fuck is the content?
#9 at 22:20:28 - 22/12/2009
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Rhythm and New York are being shunned. Bioshock! Dead Space! Grrrrrrr.

For me...

Prince of Persia. Cel shaded shiteness.

That's it. I'm really very careful with what games I buy.
#10 at 22:54:55 - 22/12/2009
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Oh just seen that some have posted stuff they got as review code as well, not just bought, so...

King of Fighters XII - as DDevil put it really.

Wet - poor man's Stranglehold

No More Heroes - actually bought this and hated it. I didn't get very far in admittedly, I got to same inane coconut fetching quest, but I'd seen enough to know I was never going to love this as much as everyone else seems to.

Katamari Forever - clusterfucked up a brilliant game

Championship Manager 2010 - even for 2 I don't expect a bugged up unplayable mess

#11 at 22:58:47 - 22/12/2009
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I thought you would have included FIFA 10 in that list, Kent?
#12 at 11:28:21 - 23/12/2009
Murbal
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:30
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
1)Puzzle Quest Galactrix. How many MS points did that cost me? I know - should have played the trial but I had a shed full of points at the time :-(

2)ODST. Thought I'd try it as I liked the look of it... Should have learned my lesson with the fact that I didn't get on with H3 though, more of the same here.

3)Skate 2. Clearly not designed with my sub par dexterity in mind. Just couldn't manage to achieve anything near a good line, anywhere. Challenges were a nightmare as a result.

#13 at 12:20:42 - 23/12/2009
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
TheBoy said:I thought you would have included FIFA 10 in that list, Kent?
Oh shit, yes, well remembered.

FIFA 10 - because it nobbled speedy players and no longer made them run fast, because they had no other ideas on how to address the issue, rather than properly punish the quitters and solve the numerous bugs. I sold my FIFA 09 for 12, paid 26.99 for FIFA 10, sold it two weeks later for 30 and bought a pre-owned FIFA 09 from Gamestation for 4. So despite me not liking it, I made 13 in about three weeks, which wasn't all bad.
#14 at 19:01:17 - 23/12/2009
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
For all its flaws, I do think FIFA 10 is an excellent football game. Certainly in my top five for this year, purely based on the amount of time I've spent on it. The EG retrospect article that's on the front page atm is brilliant, sums the game up perfectly for me. I should stop playing online as I've lost my last twenty or so matches now, but it keeps pulling me in.

I did try the demo of FIFA 09 but the animation and movement seemed horrible in comparison (just like PES 2010, in fact).
#15 at 19:18:01 - 23/12/2009
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's definitely divided opinion. I loved FIFA 09, and it's even better now having gone back to it, as you actually get to finish games online, rather than have them quit out on you. And it's nice to be able to run fast with Theo Walcott, or Lennon, rather than have Senderos overtake them all.
#16 at 21:47:21 - 23/12/2009

home