Author Reply
Furbs
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:37(2%)
AATG Pts:105
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Just playing Avatar this evening, and for my sins I'm really enjoying it. Finally get to do what I wanted to see in the film and shoot a load of hippies. Its really worked with the reference material very well and I think creates a very believable and faithful version of Pandora.

Robocop 3 on the Amiga was amazing too. Not sure it came out before Doom, but it was certainly one of the very first FPS's I ever played.
#1 at 03:21:25 - 24/01/2010
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Disney's Aladdin for the Megadrive stole a lot of my childhood hours. Probably kickstarted my gamer OCD as I had to explore every single area, kill every single enemy, and collect every single item before continuing. The soundtrack was awesome and the levels got progressively more intimidating. I. Was never able to complete the escape from the Cave of Wonders so I resorted to cheating (and at that point I'd pretty much just level skip all the way to the last boss, just to see what he was like). The levels inside the Genie's lamp were such a trip. Don't go back and play it now, though: total disappointment.

But then there's also the Bugs Life game for the PS1. I played that for entire days in the summer, with Radio 1 playing the the background. Happy memories :). Best level is where you're climbing that massive tree, leaf by leaf. Very huge, especially from the eyes of a bug :). Very frustrating to fall to the bottom, though, which I did often, and was probably why I stopped playing, in frustration. In reality the game is probably just a very monotonous collect-em-up, but to a younger brain that is pure crack.

That's probably all the movie-based games I've ever played: stuff I played as a kid that seemed good at the time, but probably isn't. Oh, there was also a Toy Story game for PS1, which was fun.
#2 at 11:26:06 - 24/01/2010
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'd say it was one of the Star Wars games but any of the good ones come so much later after the film they're based on that they aren't really tie-ins.

Avatar does seem like one of the better examples of a tie-in but I didn't think too much of what I played.

Sometimes though, the shitter the film the better the game and so Ecks vs Sever on the GBA is actually a pretty good FPS for the hardware.

An honourable mention must go to Die Hard Trilogy and a shame you're not a movie to World's Scariest Police Chases.
#3 at 12:55:15 - 24/01/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I've just ordered Avatar for 17.99 on the 360... and I still haven't got around to seeing the damn film yet. Figure this will encourage to.

I'd like to say Ghostbusters, but in truth I can't. The references are great, but the game isn't all that. Die Hard Trilogy is a superb call, but for me, there's only one clear winner:

The Thing.

The game just nailed it. And it was so tough I never finished it. Doing the blood tests, the paranoia of your characters (they'd suicide in front of you!); and when one of the things came crashing through the wall, you had a serious fucking fight for survival on your hands.

In fact, in that regard, I'd put it up there with the pressure of playing Demon's Souls.
#4 at 13:05:53 - 24/01/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
It's certainly flawed, the repeated visits the the jungle area break the pacing, enemies are reused too much and attacks can be used all the way through. The plot is weak but the voice acting, animation and controls are excellent resulting in what feels like a cut down version of God of War.

It's certainly better than the demo of Dante's Inferno felt, it just lacks much sense of progression.

Other than that, X-Wing Alliance which really needs an up-to-date sequel using the full power of modern PCs.
#5 at 13:33:07 - 24/01/2010
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I don't think I've ever played a movie tie in, good or bad. They never appealed to me.
#6 at 13:44:34 - 24/01/2010
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Though it sold like dogshit-flavoured cookies at the time, the Quantum of Solace game isn't actually that bad. Nicking the COD4 engine was a good idea - and though the game jumps around a fair bit between the two Daniel Craig films and seems to miss gigantic chunks of narrative out, it's a good solid shooter.

The cover system should've been in Call of Duty, it's neat and simple and works perfectly.

It'll never set the world on fire, but for a shade over 6 quid from Gameplay it's a nice little gap-filler.
#7 at 08:56:03 - 25/01/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Ahhh I think I found the flaw in it. You can complete it in 5 hours flat if you're not even really trying.

Oops! And it's got less replay value than repeats of You've Been Framed.
#8 at 09:13:07 - 28/01/2010
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
NewYork said:Disney's Aladdin for the Megadrive stole a lot of my childhood hours. Probably kickstarted my gamer OCD as I had to explore every single area, kill every single enemy, and collect every single item before continuing. The soundtrack was awesome and the levels got progressively more intimidating. I. Was never able to complete the escape from the Cave of Wonders so I resorted to cheating (and at that point I'd pretty much just level skip all the way to the last boss, just to see what he was like). The levels inside the Genie's lamp were such a trip. Don't go back and play it now, though: total disappointment.

Ah yes, I really loved that game - SNES version that is. Really nice colourful platformer with great production values, and also surprisingly tough at times (I only finished the game after revisiting it on an emulator).

I never realised back then that there was a different version of the game for the MD, and when I tried that a few years back I didn't think much of it, tbh.
#9 at 13:58:36 - 28/01/2010
strangeed
Flag
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I have to give a nod towards the x-wing vs tie fighter and x-wing alliance titles. Those and Freespace 2 need to have thoughtful, careful upgrades. It's the kind of thing I would get a joystick for.

I also have to admit I enjoyed the Battle for Middle earth games, though it's debatable how much of a movie tie-in they actually were.
#10 at 14:19:02 - 28/01/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Talking of excellent SNES Movie adaptations, the SNES version of Alien3 was actually very good indeed. Not to be confused with other versions, the SNES version had a really nice line in visuals, some seriously fluid animation for the main character and all the right "bits" to make it a proper Alien game. Looks a bit quaint and outdated now but I remember it being quite addictive and ended up playing it right through to the end (very unusual for my SNES games).

Also have a soft spot for Super Star Wars / Empire Strikes Back / Return of the Jedi and also still think that the original sit-down cabinet for Atari's Star Wars arcade game is one arcade machine I'd love to actually own.
#11 at 14:51:28 - 28/01/2010
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I played the SNES star wars games the other week- they were gash. I don't remember any of the creatures Luke had to jump over in the game from the film. Turned it off in disgust and wrote to the local paper to complain.
#12 at 15:01:10 - 28/01/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
:)

Great Hoth battle though.
#13 at 15:15:17 - 28/01/2010
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Don't think I even got that far :)
#14 at 17:34:34 - 28/01/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Actually, thinking about it I'm probably thinking of the Hoth battle in Shadows of the Empire, the N64 game. Which was wholly shit apart from the snowspeeders vs AT AT bits.
#15 at 17:36:05 - 28/01/2010

home