Food Safety


Author Reply
Syrok
Flag
Posts:3720
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Quick question, does chicken smell a bit sweet when it's off?
I threw it away now, just to be on the safe side.
#1 at 19:52:19 - 19/04/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Pretty much if it smells, it's off.
#2 at 20:25:49 - 19/04/2010
Syrok
Flag
Posts:3720
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Chicken always has a smell though unless it's frozen.
#3 at 20:57:47 - 19/04/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, but it always smells the same. Unless it's off. I wouldn't describe something as "smelling" if it smelt how it always does, especially food.
#4 at 07:33:37 - 20/04/2010
peej
Flag
Posts:14637
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Usually it smells slightly fishy if it's off.

Basically the best way to tell is to look for tiny white "nodules" on the flesh, if it's got anything like that on it on close inspection, ditch it. Basically don't piss about with meat if you even suspect it's off. Unless you like weeing through your a-hole.
#5 at 10:02:46 - 20/04/2010
strangeed
Flag
Posts:677
Comments:16
Thread Kills:36(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Yeah, I'd definitely apply the precautionary principle to meat products.
#6 at 11:05:21 - 20/04/2010
blizeH
Flag
Posts:668
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
Cheers Peej :-)

I really need to get out of the habit of washing chicken, I just can't help but run it under a tap, even though I know you shouldn't...
#7 at 16:52:19 - 20/04/2010
Dougs
Flag
Posts:698
Comments:18
Thread Kills:27(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
blizeH said:Cheers Peej :-)

I really need to get out of the habit of washing chicken, I just can't help but run it under a tap, even though I know you shouldn't...


Why shouldn't you? My brother is a chef and told me that's exactly what you should do.
#8 at 11:00:35 - 21/04/2010
blizeH
Flag
Posts:668
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
Apparently it just spreads the germs everywhere (even if you're super careful, it's hard not to get water places - and then on the handwash, and everything else, I always wipe it down afterwards of course but it's a pain!) and cooking kills those germs anyway, or something? Who knows.

Just sent an aspartame link to a lady at work who was asking about sweetners, now she's really freaked out and I feel bad :(
#9 at 11:13:08 - 21/04/2010
billdoor
Flag
Posts:3886
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
There have been hundreds of clinical studies on aspartame and AFIAK nothing has ever proved the carcinogenic link? I assume that's what the link was about?
#10 at 11:46:06 - 21/04/2010
Dougs
Flag
Posts:698
Comments:18
Thread Kills:27(4%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
blizeH said:Apparently it just spreads the germs everywhere (even if you're super careful, it's hard not to get water places - and then on the handwash, and everything else, I always wipe it down afterwards of course but it's a pain!) and cooking kills those germs anyway, or something? Who knows.

Just sent an aspartame link to a lady at work who was asking about sweetners, now she's really freaked out and I feel bad :(


That's what cleaners etc are for (Dettol rocks). And unless you're eating stuff directly off of surfaces, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
#11 at 12:02:58 - 21/04/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Posts:6577
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
billdoor said:There have been hundreds of clinical studies on aspartame and AFIAK nothing has ever proved the carcinogenic link? I assume that's what the link was about?

Didn't stop me from putting my buddy off Coke Zero for life. ^_^
#12 at 03:30:59 - 22/04/2010

home