Author Reply
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Ever had one of those weird dreams where your waking moment when the alarm goes off segues with whatever you were dreaming about?

Had one this morning...was dreaming that Pendulum had signed to do the soundtrack to the new Fast and Furious movie. Bang on the dot of 10 to 6 this morning the radio alarm clock fired up....with Pendulum's new song. Now it's getting a lot of airplay on the radio, but it was one of those spooky "matrix is broken" style moments that just made me sit bolt upright in bed.

Weird dreams or moments of deja vu? These are everyday occurences in...THE TWILIGHT ZONE....

(cue weirdy music)
#1 at 10:15:55 - 21/05/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I never have dreams that I can remember, but I woke up this morning remembering that a zombie shoved it's hand into me and pulled out my liver, and I told it that it was taking the piss!

Weird, but funny.
#2 at 13:05:44 - 21/05/2010
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I have a theory (that may be complete nonsense) that then you are dreaming, your time perception is all messed up. Thus, it may be that hearing something in your waking moment might even affect the "past" of your dream as much as it would the "present", creating the feeling of broken Matrix. Or perhaps how you comprehend the dream (because, again, comprehension during dreaming is probably highly messed up and variable) adjusts on the fly when you heard that song.

Yeah, it's totally happened to me to that something I hear while waking not only works into my dream, but also fits really well with what I was dreaming up to that point.

Probably not a coincidence.
#3 at 13:20:55 - 21/05/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Could be. The brain is a funny messed up box of tricks at times.

Deja vu is the weirder one though, I had a really weird instance of it at the start of the week with a work colleague saying something that I swore I'd sat through him saying before in the same situation, same room, same time of day.

Though life around here is THAT exciting that it's not beyond the realm of possibility that it was just the same conversation we've had a number of times.
#4 at 13:28:17 - 21/05/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I wish I knew what it was that meant I remembered some dreams. Two recent ones (both a bit odd but not hard to understand what they might relate to):

1 - Me running across a field, large stone wall to one side and a grassy bank up to the edge of it. On the other side of the wall is a large group of people (some sort of outdoor pub). Some guy shouts at me to get off the grass and get a drink. I go up, he offers me a job.

2 - Walking through a supermarket, some attractive girl grabs my hand and gives me her basket of food - she doesn't let go of my hand. We visit the bread section (no idea what the point of this part was) and then head out through the checkout. At the checkout there are too many people so we try to force our way through, she makes it but I'm left behind with the basket. I feel like I've lost everything.

In each of those I wake up at that point.

I wish I could stay in some of my dreams forever :(
#5 at 16:48:18 - 21/05/2010
mal
Flag
Comments:165
Thread Kills:40(8%)
AATG Pts:85
Star Rating
Time dilation and compression definitely happens. I'm a terrible one for snoozing my alarm, so I know there are five minute intervals between it going off again, but sometimes I just get a minute or so of dreams before it goes off again, while other times I can be in there for a good fifteen minutes or so.

Also, sleeping with the radio on does weird things. I reckon dreams are just random thoughts which our brains try to construct into stories as they go along, but if there are external inputs they get written into your dreams, and the brain is quite adept as modifying stories as they go along. Hence I reckon you can get the pendulum effect - you might have been dreaming about a band doing a new song, and as soon as your brain picks up Pendulum from the radio, it suddenly turns the song you've been dreaming about into that song, as if you've been dreaming about it before you heard it.

The brain does strange things just in order to make the story work.
#6 at 16:34:07 - 22/05/2010
Boo
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:4(2%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Had a very strange night on Saturday - three completely separate, and completely bonkers, dreams.

Best bit - Tori Amos sucking my finger.
#7 at 12:05:51 - 24/05/2010
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I dreamt that one of my college lecturers was so badly injured in a mugging that they transplanted his head onto a body made of metal extrusions. His joints worked using a series of cables and pulley wheels. Later in the dream I had to fight him in a boxing ring in an aircraft hanger after a classroom argument, so I snuck a pair of wire cutters in, snipped all his cables and watched him collapse in a heap on the floor.

I think I had seen 'An Officer And A Gentleman' and 'Live And Let Die' in quick succession the week before...
#8 at 12:32:43 - 24/05/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Boo said:Had a very strange night on Saturday - three completely separate, and completely bonkers, dreams.

Best bit - Tori Amos sucking my finger.

She went a lot further with me, the saucy cow. That's one new use for an Oboe I'd never quite anticipated.
#9 at 13:52:57 - 24/05/2010
Lexx87
Flag
Comments:5
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:30
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm rubbish I just dream i'm at work :/
#10 at 15:29:10 - 24/05/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
In your undies, surrounded by sexy Goblins.
#11 at 15:32:23 - 24/05/2010
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yeah, I need to trade with you guys. I dream of infuriatingly nonsensical problems and puzzles and long, tedious arguments, that leave me waking up feeling confused and frustrated.
#12 at 15:34:42 - 24/05/2010
Boo
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:4(2%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
NewYork - I recommend copious amounts of Waitrose Davidstow Cheddar, about an hour before retiring.
#13 at 11:30:26 - 26/05/2010
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Good plan.

Won't bother detailing last night's dream (are they ever that interesting to other people?) but something I noticed is that the characters sometimes change, without ever disturbing the story.

Essentially someone told me to come meet them, but when I went, I was meeting someone else entirely. I only realise this now I'm awake. When I was dreaming, this seemed entirely normal.

Furthermore, considering how bizarre our dreams can be, it's odd that in the dream we are so accepting of it. There's rarely a "where am I, what is this?" feeling.

I dunno, it creeps me out. Just the implications for how gullible our brains must be in the waking world.
#14 at 11:59:11 - 26/05/2010
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Had a dream about my wife having an affair with David Braben!
#15 at 15:53:58 - 28/03/2011
NewYork
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
/checks on Google Images

...why? o_0
#16 at 15:56:31 - 28/03/2011

home