#1 at 13:29:07 - 08/06/2010
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
You can't sit down on a Poäng while playing PC games ergo consoles win by default.
#2 at 13:46:59 - 08/06/2010
Flying_Pig
Flag
Comments:277
Thread Kills:25(2%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
As someone who's primarily been a console gamer for the past 10-15 years, I'm firmly on the side of Team Console.

I mean, I dabbled in PC gaming over the years and more recently attempted to get back into it, but while there are positives to playing games hunched over a keyboard, your face 6 inches from the monitor, there's one big factor preventing me from making more of it: PCs are not user friendly - especially for games.

It's not as bad as it used to be, requiring you to create boot discs and fiddle with your memory settings, but even today the majority of PC games require some degree of technical fiddling - either to get the most out of your hardware or in some cases to work at all!

Conversely console gaming is a simple as inserting your disc (or downloading said game off the platform holder's store) and off you go. No messing with video card settings, or poncing about with your mouse sensitivity - just disc in and off you go!

There's also the issue with PC gaming of 'Will my computer run this game?'. Unless you have a monster rig or regularly upgrade your hardware there's the concern that your once shiny new PC is now obselete and unable to play the latest AAA title. Not so with a console - if you own it, you can be assured of being able to play any game released on that format on your hardware.

Gaming, to me, is about having fun and actually playing games, not fiddling with the guts of your beige box to get the sound running on your latest gaming purchase.
#3 at 14:38:36 - 08/06/2010
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I love PC Gaming but unfortunately the wife has starting to watch me playing games (RPGS etc..) so unless I lug the PC into the living room, I am fast becoming a console gamer.
#4 at 16:27:00 - 08/06/2010
ThisSiteIsRunByACunt
Flag
Comments:2
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:
Star Rating
Can the next one of these be Nerds Vs Geeks?
#5 at 16:55:07 - 08/06/2010
Murbal
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:0(0%)
AATG Pts:30
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
COMFY CHAIR

PC gaming is all about sitting at a desk with keyboard and mouse. I do that all day at work, I prefer to relax in the evenings.

CAN I RUN THIS AT MAX SETTINGS

See? PC gaming you need to tweak this, reduce that... OMG I can run Crysis at 15 FPS! I mean what % of gamers get to see a PC game the way the devs intended?

Console gaming? Insert and play. As it was meant to be played...

#6 at 17:29:22 - 08/06/2010
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
Consoles all the way*.
For me its the whole graphics cards, drivers and all the compatibility shit that goes with it, I just want to turn on the computer and play a fucking game.

*this does not include the PS3 and its woeful updates/installing
#7 at 17:34:35 - 08/06/2010
LarryBong
Flag
Comments:17
Thread Kills:8(3%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Console gaming all the way for me for a number of reasons (most already covered by others I think):

-PC's are work. Consoles are play. Two separate worlds that should not collide.
-Don't like mouse and keyboard as a control method for most types of game (RTS clearly excluded)
-If I can play games on my PC then I will never get any work done. The internet is enough of a distraction without throwing games into the mix.
-Can't be bothered with all the faffing about getting PC games to run properly or having to update my machine in order to play the latest stuff.
-Settee or floor and a big TV are the location for gameplay not desk, monitor and office chair.

#8 at 18:40:46 - 08/06/2010
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
Star Rating
Consoles are getting PCier everytime, now they have the same problems as PC, games needing patching to be playable, games that need installation...

But alas, I prefer them to PCs now a days... more confortable to be on the couch than on the desk...
#9 at 19:06:33 - 08/06/2010
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I use both, some things are better on console, some things better on PC.

Either way I'm sure this thread is going to be full of people who haven't played a game on a PC for years so their opinions are going to be so out of date that they're pointless.

Next on "AATG vs" automatic versus manual gearboxes?
#10 at 20:19:23 - 08/06/2010
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Whizzo said:Either way I'm sure this thread is going to be full of people who haven't played a game on a PC for years so their opinions are going to be so out of date that they're pointless.

This is correct however my point still stands. :p

Though I agree both have their advantages and disadvantages.
#11 at 20:32:10 - 08/06/2010
Whizzo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Gamepads and connecting PCs to HD TVs would suggest you are wrong.

In fact I was playing Just Cause 2 the other day on my PC while lying in bed.
#12 at 20:51:13 - 08/06/2010
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Fine then!

:)
#13 at 20:57:40 - 08/06/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'll come up with something later. On phone at the moment and will be mainly on the side of the PC.
#14 at 21:33:13 - 08/06/2010
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I grew up as a PC gamer in the era of boot discs, config.sys and autoexec.bat. I first bought a console when I lived in the States to tide me over, and was wooed by the single system requirements and sofa
gaming. Since then I've been primarily a console gamer. New graphics cards come out every year and cost almost as much as a console, which get released every 4/5 years. I'm not a huge FPS fan, so I'm not that fussed about being at the bleeding edge of graphics technology that this genre seems to drive on the PC. HD televisions have taken some of the sting out of high res PC gaming too, and the advent of Live has also blurred the lines somewhat, as has the commom occurance now of not being able to play your old games on your new hardware or OS. In summary, I have nothing against PC gaming, but I just can't be arsed with keeping up with the hardware anymore.
#15 at 22:15:58 - 08/06/2010
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
Star Rating
Dragul said:Consoles are getting PCier everytime, now they have the same problems as PC, games needing patching to be playable, games that need installation...

But alas, I prefer them to PCs now a days... more confortable to be on the couch than on the desk...

Worse in some ways - you turn on your PS3 for a quick game of something, and you have to wait for the patch. At least on most PC games, you get to choose when you patch, particularly for offline stuff. Sony's attempt to introduce PC functionality has failed.

The 360 isn't anywhere near as bad for patching etc, but then you're (arguably) paying for privilege of having things fixed - most of the time. Want that TF2 patch on 360? Perhaps you've forgotten that you wanted it, 'cos you've switched to playing TF2 on PC instead.

Play online on your console? Does the game use a server? Best hope that Microsoft or Sony don't decide your favourite game isn't popular enough and turn the service off. At least most PC games offer you the chance to run your own server, and your own gaming community.

Lastly, what about reliability? It was once a good reason for having a console, but this gen has fixed that idea - they're as likely to fail as hottest of PC parts. My gamecube will outlast my Wii - that's a certainty.

Last gen, I'd go console over PC, no problem. This time around, they're just not so good. If it wasn't for those lovely damned games, I'd not bother at all.
#16 at 00:26:54 - 09/06/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
My first gaming experiences were with an old Atari console and and Commodore C16+4, even back then I knew that PCs were the direction I was going to be most interested in.

At school, watching Wolfenstein 3D on one of the computers for the first time was incredible but the real breakthrough was playing Worms multiplayer, Virtual Pool, Command and Conquer and Syndicate 2.

I didn't have a PC at the time so I had to go around a mates house. Even when he got a PS1 I was more interested in building my little armies and destroying those who stood in my way.

My first PC was, even though it wasn't that powerful, probably the one I enjoyed the most - I would spend hour after hour playing things like Championship Manager and Command and Conquer.

At college and Uni, I spent most of my time doing the same thing and it was only when I bought myself a PS2 that I began to feel differently. Games started to feel more casual and I was less inclined to want to put the effort in - consoles made me feel like gaming was lazy rather than something interesting and 'fun'.

It wasn't until Half Life 2 that I regained some of that feeling, the hours I spent that first night trying to activate it on steam pre-broadband reminded me of the good days when knowing how well something was going to run and fixing that problem was part of the enjoyment.

Even now I occasionally get that feeling (Civ 5 is my most anticipated game of the year by some margin) but unfortunately co-operative play on consoles and my tendency towards short games (FIFA is perfect for this) means I'm missing out on a lot of what I enjoyed.

Would I miss consoles if I didn't have them now? Not really, I'm not sure I'll get any more unless I see something that really blows me away. Would I want to lose the PC as well? Absolutely not.
#17 at 00:35:20 - 09/06/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Also, Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment.
#18 at 00:37:25 - 09/06/2010
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Since the days of the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube consoles have provided me with a much greater range of games that I want to play, and this has continued with the PS3 and 360.

Probably the only PC game I've felt like I've missed out on in the last 10 years is Crysis, but at least the sequel is coming to the consoles.
#19 at 00:43:11 - 09/06/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I think PC's are more hobbyist now, on a top end orgasmo machine, games will most definitely look better, but it can take quite a bit of tweaking to get looking just right.

As a case in point I recently bought Psychonauts from steam, which, being an old game you'd think would work straight away with my 'Official Microsoft' 360 controller dongle.

But no, it talk me at least an hour to get right, and included me downloading new drivers, and having to run a piece of 3rd party software in the background.

As for Whizzo saying you can plug the PC into the TV now, this is mostly correct, but you are still relying on the developer actually programming pad support, something Bioshock 2 unfortunately neglected to do.

So, PC = Nerds, Console = Joeys then :D

I think I prefer to be a Joey, it's easier (and cheaper).
#20 at 11:08:40 - 09/06/2010
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Whizzo said:I use both, some things are better on console, some things better on PC.

Either way I'm sure this thread is going to be full of people who haven't played a game on a PC for years so their opinions are going to be so out of date that they're pointless.

Next on "AATG vs" automatic versus manual gearboxes?

Well this is where you come in Whizzo and fight PC gaming's corner.

People also need to remember that PC gaming isn't just about the hardcore old-school RTS/FPS players. So many people see PC-gaming as Farmville, Bejewelled, Peggle. It's still very much alive and kicking and even though I don't play many games on my PC, even I can see that it isn't going anywhere anytime fast, it's just evolving.
#21 at 11:36:28 - 09/06/2010
Whizzo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I just cannot be arsed, the death of PC gaming bullshit got boring back in the 20th century.
#22 at 13:35:18 - 09/06/2010
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I totally get you but this isn't going to be a debate on PC gaming being dead, rather how it isn't.
#23 at 13:37:23 - 09/06/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
WoW proves it isn't, you need a respectable machine to run it, and it has the population of a country playing it every day, I'm not allowing myself to play it though, I could see me very easily becoming addicted/divorced.
#24 at 13:40:52 - 09/06/2010
JimJam
Flag
Comments:189
Thread Kills:162(6%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I think PCs are excellent at games I no longer have the time to play. I'm very interested in the MMORPGs, and did contemplate City Of Heroes, Star Trek, WoW and certainly this new KoTOR game, but I just know I don't have the time to do justice to them. The console lets me do 20 minute blasts on the sofa using a control method that really suits those kind of games.
#25 at 15:54:10 - 09/06/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yeah, good luck playing RTS on a console too! :D
#26 at 15:56:36 - 09/06/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Whizzo said:Either way I'm sure this thread is going to be full of people who haven't played a game on a PC for years so their opinions are going to be so out of date that they're pointless.

That's because I can't get the fucking things to run. :(

Seriously, I'd love to be a PC gamer. I've inadvertantly bought two copies of Stalker and I've tried to get it running on three mid-range machines. It chokes on every single one.

Metro 2033 on 360 scratched that itch in the end... and is one of my games of the year.

Having a knackered back also sways me to the couch and comfort. I'm sick of ICT by the time I get home, I don't want to be shoving a mouse around (or tweaking shit I don't understand for three hours in the hope of getting an extra five frames per second).

I guess this gen can kill off the old argument about broken PC games can be patched, but broken console games are shite forever. (Although I wish that didn't excuse console games being released in need of patches).

But, yeah, PC games... I spend more time trying to get them to run effectively than I do playing them. Why the hell would I favour that over a PS3 or 360 experience?
#27 at 00:53:33 - 10/06/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
And I do feel I'm missing out on a couple of things... Those things are: "Silent" and "Hunter".
#28 at 00:59:06 - 10/06/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Stalker should be perfectly fine on low-mid range machines if you turn off the dynamic lighting.
#29 at 02:35:00 - 10/06/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Nope. I think my laptop has such a shit graphics card, is the problem. It'll run WoW. but I don't want to be one of "those people" any more. :)
#30 at 11:30:45 - 10/06/2010

home