Author Reply
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
...have sold the 360, with no plan to replace it with anything. I'm getting increasingly fed up with gaming, with all the aspects that I enjoy being the bits that are being killed off by most big developers.

The plan is to now stay away from gaming forums and to concentrate on getting some other things in my life sorted out (career, study). I have my iPod and a netbook to keep me satisfied should the need arise, but HD/console gaming is something I'm not going to be partaking in any more
#1 at 21:12:07 - 11/07/2010
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Amen, brother.

I'm increasingly feeling like I'm done. I'll always have the dorky gamer personality, but more and more gaming is leaving my system.

Feels good, man.
#2 at 21:37:42 - 11/07/2010
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Good on you, I reckon you'll feel better for it.

I'm spending August game-free (or at least that's the plan) in order to try and build my portfolio back up a bit. The worst thing about gaming is that it's just too flippin' easy to zone out once everything else has finished for the day, slap a game on and even play something that's a complete grind instead of doing something more useful with the time (and it's not like I've got that much time to chuck around).

Fair play to you but don't completely shut off gaming forums (well not us anyway!)
#3 at 10:08:23 - 12/07/2010
blizeH
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
Have to say I'm feeling pretty much the same; can't get into games at all, even God of War on the PSP I'm finding utterly dull and can't wait for it to end, despite it being one of my favourite franchises.

I've also sold my 360 too! The problem is I've pre-ordered a 360 slim to replace it, d'oh.
#4 at 11:46:28 - 12/07/2010
Binky
Flag
Comments:160
Thread Kills:33(2%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I was feeling a bit, meh, the other day when looking at my 360 collection of racers, shooters and sports titles.

Ended up nicking my dad's wii and going out to buy Mario Galaxy2, which I love and loathe in equal measure. The mrs said yesterday, "I've never known you to love and hate something so passionately at the same time". She's right.

Anyway, er, you'll be back. We all come back.
#5 at 12:03:05 - 12/07/2010
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I felt the same a while back. There's just too much of everything nowadays. Too many consoles, too many games being released, too much hype, too much emphasis on the next shiny new software/hardware. It's crazy, and made worse by inane internet discussion and bargain deals. That Metro article about gamers and ADHD wasn't a huge surprise.

But you know what? 2010 has, so far, been a fantastic gaming year for me. Best six months, I'd say, since back when I had all the time in the world to actually play games, and not give a shit about metacritic scores, expensive DLC, platform exclusivity, internet trolls and all that crap.

I've managed to complete so many great games, including an absolute stunner that truly felt like it came straight from the 16-bit glory days. All cliches aside, though, I've realised that once you filter out all the crap that comes with being a modern gamer, the truth is gaming has never been so good.
#6 at 15:42:56 - 12/07/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Original poster needs more 4-player Crackdown 2.
#7 at 16:03:51 - 12/07/2010
Boo
Flag
Comments:1
Thread Kills:4(2%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
I know how you feel, Rhythm.

I haven't picked up a controller in 6 months or more. A chance replay of the original Phoenix Wright made me go out and buy the other four, very cheap, and I've been playing no 2 for about a month now (nearly finished), but that and a bit of Carcassonne on the iPad is the limit of my gaming.

I went through a phase of collecting all the consoles I never had, about 10 years ago, so my loft is stuffed full of boxed, and largely mint-or-vgc consoles, plus more games than I care to think about (or admit to Mrs Boo).

I wonder sometimes - how long before you think 'It's a waste, them all just sitting there, I should pass them on/sell them so at least they're being used.'

Then I think 'If I got rid of them, I just know that I'd end up buying them all again at some point down the line.

Gaming - she's a cruel mistress!
#8 at 17:05:17 - 12/07/2010
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I've ended up deciding to keep the console, seel all the games. Might not be able to raise new PC money that way, but I don't know if I can cut myself off 100%. I have cancelled Live though, and I will definitely hang around less on forums, or at least I'll be paying much less attention to the "out this week" hype-ey threads

As for 2010, I genuinely think it's been a dire years. With the exception of Heavy Rain and Red Dead, it's been utterly uninteresting
#9 at 23:39:02 - 12/07/2010
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
/whispers

Fallout New Vegas...
#10 at 00:18:56 - 13/07/2010
Rhythm
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
HairyArse said:/whispers

Fallout New Vegas...

Fallout 3 was *awful*! Why the hell would I want another Fallout? Fuck the depressing shit, gimme more Elder Scrolls!
#11 at 00:38:55 - 13/07/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
It's only July dude, 2010 didn't start yet on the gaming release calendar, just stuff that was delayed from 2009. :p

I will genuinely miss you posting, but I think you're making the correct decision as it was painfully obvious that you are getting nothing good out of gaming these days.
#12 at 01:47:12 - 13/07/2010
dmukgr
Flag
Comments:11
Thread Kills:2(6%)
AATG Pts:30
Star Rating
Bronze Medal

*** a long rambly post, sorry ***

I went through this a few years ago (pre this hardware generation) and ended up ditching everything except for the PC - which I played Pro Evo on pretty much every day for a few years. Besides that, I had a DS as I travel a fair bit.

When Pro Evo came out on the Wii, I had to have it - for the new control system, so I bought a Wii and it got a bit of use, but not a huge amount.

At the end of last year however, I decided I really wanted to play Sabatour (as I kept reading Eurogamer etc., even though I tended not to play any games - If only to keep in touch with the small PC indie games that I would play obsesivly for a few days and then forget all about). Sabatour installed and kicked off, only to see the graphics horribly corrupt - install new drivers etc. and wow, what a game. It got a lot of slagging off, but I loved it. Like Chinatown Wars that I had played a few months earlier on holiday, it had me hooked - but the fact that it was a bit of a bitch to install made me remember why PC gaming used to frustrate me so.

Anyhow, on hearing of my love of Sabatour, a friend recommended Batman and so I went out and got a PS3 (to get Batman as I didn't want the PC hassle). It came with LBP (which I didn't get on with at all) and Uncharted 2. Being the way I am, I bought Uncharted 1 to play first - and I loved it. The wife sat on the couch watching me play and it was like Sands of Time all over again - it really got me hooked. Since then I have pretty much got into gameing full time. So much so that I haven't enough time to play all the games I want to - got a lot of catching up to do.

Currently, I am hooked on Williams Pinball (and before that Zen). I just finished the new Prince of Persia - and I am probably going to pick up a 360 s, though I am away for a few weeks after this weekend so can't start any games for a while yet - Heavy Rain is waiting on my return. I can only play the games that require no story as I hate ditching a game for a while - I end up never going back to it and having to start again years down the line - which means it is just abandoned really as I rarely go back, I'm just kidding myself that I will play it sometime (Beyond Good and Evil, why o why did I not finish you).

Funny thing is - I still haven't started Batman yet :-
#13 at 12:05:21 - 13/07/2010
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Oh and Rhy, haven't we been here before?

You'll be back, mark my words.

:D
#14 at 12:58:09 - 13/07/2010
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
At this rate I suspect we're certainly going to need a sister site, AATCAGARAHGUTBMBBCNPT? (For those of you unable to figure out this extremely simple acronym - or initialism? I can never remember - that's: AllAboutTheComplainingAboutGamingAndReminiscingAboutHowGamesUsedToBeMuchBetterButCertainlyNotPlayingThem)
#15 at 15:02:35 - 13/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Catchy! I like it!
#16 at 15:28:38 - 13/07/2010
Boo
Flag
Star Rating
T-Shirts are available, but only in XXXXXXXXXXXXXL, for obvious reasons.
#17 at 16:16:59 - 13/07/2010
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I think the game I've played the most this is year Bubble Bobble on the Saturn. I've hardly booted my 360 this year, in fact the last game I played was Bayonetta at the start of March.

Looking at my game collection, I have 50 odd 360 games, probably 30 of which I've not put more than a couple of hours into.

Seriously lost my gaming mojo atm.
#18 at 10:25:14 - 14/07/2010
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Whenever I sell a console I end up buying it again within 18 months or so.

These days I just put them away instead, especially as they often have downloaded games on them whose value is close to that of the second hand value of the hardware anyway.
#19 at 13:02:17 - 15/07/2010
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
oh, and I have about 8 disc-based games I think, and a couple are due to go down for store credit soon.

packrat collection of mass produced stuff is long, long gone in the frod household.
#20 at 13:04:14 - 15/07/2010
HairyArse
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I don't collect games either. They just take up so much space and it's only a few years before they're completely worthless.

Sure there's a certain romantic notion to keeping them, but while I have a few GameCube games knocking about taking up space, I'll never play them again and they're not worth the hassle of trying to sell them - especially not when they're NTSC.
#21 at 13:13:25 - 15/07/2010
Boo
Flag
Star Rating
HairyArse said:I don't collect games either. They just take up so much space and it's only a few years before they're completely worthless.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I've convinced Mrs Boo that the hundreds of games in the cupboards are our retirement fund.

Now you tell me that a mint copy of Cannon Fodder for SNES won't be worth the equivalent of a new conservatory in 25 years time?

/reconsiders move into the Financial Planning arena
#22 at 13:36:23 - 15/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It's actually incredibly frustrating trying to get rid of huge backlogs of games. No fucker wants to collect them, and even though people often offer to pay postage there's still the ballache of packaging the stuff up, taking it to the post office and doing the necessary.

Giving your backlog of games (the kid friendly ones at least) to a local hospital charity is a bloody good way of getting rid of a lot of stuff (I recently did this with my old Gamecube plus a bunch of games and am in the middle of doing the same with the old Xbox stuff).

Selling 'em is soul destroying though, anything last gen gets literally pence if you try and trade it in or sell it.

Currently trying to slim down my "collection" enough to make room for the 360, PS3 and Wii stuff solely plus a few choice bits of retro stuff I (probably mistakenly) believe might end up being properly collectable.
#23 at 13:38:41 - 15/07/2010
blizeH
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
Agree with all of that, it's the reason I always sell off my games as soon as I've completed them. Nothing worse than having a load of stuff you have fond memories of, and getting rid of the whole lot for about 5.
#24 at 13:46:36 - 15/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It sucks - particularly when you realise that the little fuckers who'd happily buy a truckload of stuff off you will turn round and stick the whole lot on ebay for scalpy prices. I'd rather smash the stuff in half with a hammer than let that happen (or more sensibly, just give it to local charities and let kids actually play some of the old skool stuff they probably have never even seen before).
#25 at 13:51:03 - 15/07/2010
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
The charity shop option is a good one - I got rid of tonnes of old N64/PSOne games that way. Somewhat depressingly though even some of the charity shops were a bit snobbish about the SNES games I was trying to get shot of...:/

I've now pared my game collection down to about 20 or 30, most of which are favourites that I like to keep 'cos I'm a sentimental old bugger, and a few that should be worth a few quid when I get round to selling them. We just didn't have the room for the hundred plus games I had before, and I have to say I haven't missed them one bit.
#26 at 15:26:26 - 15/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
nekotcha said:The charity shop option is a good one - I got rid of tonnes of old N64/PSOne games that way. Somewhat depressingly though even some of the charity shops were a bit snobbish about the SNES games I was trying to get shot of...:/

I've now pared my game collection down to about 20 or 30, most of which are favourites that I like to keep 'cos I'm a sentimental old bugger, and a few that should be worth a few quid when I get round to selling them. We just didn't have the room for the hundred plus games I had before, and I have to say I haven't missed them one bit.

My tip is always pick charity shops that have little old ladies working in them. They'll take absolutely everything, even old copies of Rise of the Robots!
#27 at 15:42:14 - 15/07/2010
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
nekotcha said:I've now pared my game collection down to about 20 or 30, most of which are favourites that I like to keep 'cos I'm a sentimental old bugger, and a few that should be worth a few quid when I get round to selling them. We just didn't have the room for the hundred plus games I had before, and I have to say I haven't missed them one bit.

Hehe, I think I only bought about 30 games in the last 10 years. :D
#28 at 16:37:15 - 15/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Month of no gaming coming up in August so I'm going to make that month a "clearout" month for getting rid of the last remaining useless bits in the loft (IIRC it's mostly old "big box" PC games that should've been thrown out years ago) but it's getting over the psychological barrier of chucking away stuff you've paid your hard earned for that's actually tougher than finding an outlet for 'em that's not landfill.
#29 at 16:49:57 - 15/07/2010
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Syrok said:
nekotcha said:I've now pared my game collection down to about 20 or 30, most of which are favourites that I like to keep 'cos I'm a sentimental old bugger, and a few that should be worth a few quid when I get round to selling them. We just didn't have the room for the hundred plus games I had before, and I have to say I haven't missed them one bit.

Hehe, I think I only bought about 30 games in the last 10 years. :D

O_o were two of them Fallout 3 and Demon's Souls? :)
#30 at 17:02:23 - 15/07/2010

home