Author Reply
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I know this was around a few days ago (spotted in a comment by Kay) but I thought it was interesting enough for its own thread.

This slightly sensationalist story gives the gist of it but, from purely anecdotal experience, I wouldn't be surprised by it.

I've never had the greatest SQUIRREL attention span but whenever I have a 1 or 2 week break from gaming and internet browsing I notice that my ability and willingness to focus on one thing at a time is significantly better.

If I didn't have a constant need for internet access (email, news etc.) then I would quite happily get rid of lots of it, I'm also someone that ends up playing a game for an hour or so, gets bored and looks for the next thing to get/play/watch/read. Busy forums are another area that seem to encourage that thinking and behaviour.

I'm sure there's a question or comment in there to respond to, I'll let you find it while I go and do someth
#1 at 00:52:22 - 13/07/2010
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
/mythicalfrontpage
#2 at 09:33:14 - 13/07/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I can't see it, tbh. My anecdotal evidence would be I know enough people (including myself) who have played games basically all their life and don't suffer from ADHD. Why don't people look at it from the other side and think that maybe people susceptible to ADHD are naturally drawn towards video games?
#3 at 14:29:07 - 13/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I think you could probably pick any hobby or obsession and describe proponents of those interests as showing "ADHD tendencies" - It's the nature of the beast but Metro seems to be aiming for gaming as a root cause of ADHD and not simply that intense hardcore gamers are extremely passionate and interested in their chosen hobby, bordering on obsessive about it.

The article seems to also suggest that ADHD is a simple "syndrome" that has a fairly rigid and well defined set of symptoms, and those symptoms are front and present in gamers. Once again it just looks like a generalised pseudo-scientific article trying vainly to lay the blame for a fairly complex condition at the door of gaming. Quite surprised a lot of the tabloids (and the Beeb) didn't seize on it and make something bigger out of it than Metro did.
#4 at 14:59:52 - 13/07/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hah, yeah, maybe just saving it for the next slow news day.
#5 at 16:20:03 - 13/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Our local radio station phoned and wanted to know if I'd do a reaction piece on it but I've given up doing anything for them because they basically just dress up my comments as "angry videogaming nerd tries in vain to defend his hobby" type shite.
#6 at 16:26:41 - 13/07/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hah, seriously? It's a shame they'd frame it like that, could have done some AATG plugging. ^^;
#7 at 16:27:43 - 13/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The last few times I've been on there they've basically called up some crappy ill-informed anti gaming shite to try and get a "balanced" opinion on. Last time it was for a piece about those stupid force feedback "jackets" that supposedly mimic what it's like to be shot while playing FPS games.

Seriously anyone who buys something like that deserves to be *really* shot.
#8 at 17:40:24 - 13/07/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
ilmaestro said:I can't see it, tbh. My anecdotal evidence would be I know enough people (including myself) who have played games basically all their life and don't suffer from ADHD. Why don't people look at it from the other side and think that maybe people susceptible to ADHD are naturally drawn towards video games?

It certainly could be seen that way, I guess that before the pattern of behaviour is seen/noticed afterwards then it's natural to see the games as the cause, whether they are or not.

Maybe games and some other activities help encourage a slightly shorter attention span, maybe there's something already in the person's makeup that allows the behaviour to happen.

I certainly don't have ADHD but I've always had a short attention span for some reason and there are some things that seem to enourage that shortness. Maybe there's some starting threshold.
#9 at 21:14:27 - 13/07/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:/mythicalfrontpage

Sorry, wasn't paying attention.

/coat
#10 at 21:14:54 - 13/07/2010