Author Reply
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I could've sworn we had a thread like this once but I couldn't find it. Anyway EAC's quite accurate rant about Achievement icons got me thinking about a few other recent things in this year's crop of games that we really shouldn't be still seeing this far into the current console generation. So to kick off:

1) Unskippable cut scenes. WHY are we still getting these? Even Ubisoft have managed to do a decent job of giving you a 'skip' option in Prince of Persia's level review bits so why do we still have to sit through a sodding cut scene you can't skip, just after a save checkpoint?

2) Stupid false endings in games. Red Dead Redemption, as fantastic as it is, could've done without the rather daft false end which non-rusk-shitting gamers (like me) could easily miss.

3) Huge credit rolls that you can't skip but have to watch to get your end of game achievement. HATE HATE HATE. Give me a credit option on the menu or options screen by all means but don't make me sit through half an hour of credits for all territories (I really couldn't give a toss about the guy who made the tea for the Korean localisation team, I really couldn't). As for the developer babies, fuck the very hell awfff - all I do is laugh at the daft names some people choose for their kids (I swear I saw someone had called their kid "Anakin" in one game's "baby roll")

More rants? I like a good rant...
#1 at 11:43:21 - 20/07/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I don't mind having to sit through a cut scene once, as it's been known for my spaz fingers to accidentally skip them by mistake on a few occasions, but after that I'm right with you..
#2 at 12:17:02 - 20/07/2010
Rhythm
Flag
Comments:130
Thread Kills:87(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Games that don't pause when the batteries on your controller run out deserve to be stamped on.

/glares at Mass Effect 2

#3 at 21:14:26 - 20/07/2010
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Press Start screens only reacting to the start button. Just let me press whatever button I want.

Ok, that's more of a minor nuisance than a game breaking annoyance but still. :)
#4 at 21:31:58 - 20/07/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
When they wind up in the hands of reviewers who patently don't like them before the wrapper is off.

If it's not your sort of thing, hand the fucker back. Don't give it a 2/10 and call it broken when it patently isn't. (Why, yes, I do have a particular reviewer in mind. How did you guess?)
#5 at 01:03:35 - 21/07/2010
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I remeber, when the PS2 was a new machine, there was about a year where games actually treated you like your brain worked, that is to say, your every action wasn't greeted by some aggravating confirm dialogue requiring extra button pushes.

Nearly a whole year of gaming free of "Are you sure?" "OK?" "I know you've selected and clicked on this menu item, but why not check it's what you really want, and check you haven't drooled down your shirt while you're at it, you incompetent fuckwit."

I miss those days.

The number of times I've actually made a wrong choice, I've so effectively trained myself to automatically click "OK" on confirmation screens that they're as good as useless anyway.
#6 at 01:17:38 - 21/07/2010
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Rhythm said:Games that don't pause when the batteries on your controller run out deserve to be stamped on.

/glares at Mass Effect 2

The amount of goals that has been scored against me when playing FIFA online because of this! It doesn't help that the your AI controlled team mates still bomb around as if nothing is wrong, making it not blindingly obvious to the other player the batteries are dead.

It wouldn't be so bad if the on screen battery indicator didn't lie at all times too.
#7 at 11:59:31 - 21/07/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
In game clocks that don't stop when you pause the game.
#8 at 12:06:26 - 21/07/2010
blizeH
Flag
Comments:27
Thread Kills:30(4%)
AATG Pts:60
Star Rating
Related to what Hughes said, when there's a huge tutorial you sit through, and it asks "Would you like to go through the tutorial again?" with the default option as being 'Yes' - arggh!
#9 at 12:16:10 - 21/07/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
ooh!

I have one!

Games that refuse to show all the text as soon as you press the button.

I don't want to watch that bugger talk thanks!
#10 at 12:17:52 - 21/07/2010
Hughes.
Flag
Comments:284
Thread Kills:28(5%)
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Okami was the very worst for that, never ending dialogue, accompanied by a squeaky little voice spouting nonsense non-words as the text slowly typed itself up on screen.
#11 at 22:27:24 - 23/07/2010
DDevil
Flag
Comments:240
Thread Kills:15(3%)
AATG Pts:135
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Don't mind unskippable cut-scenes (although on a second play through they can grate)... But unskippable cut-scenes after a boss fight checkpoint? A crime punishable by death! Even relatively short camera-pans or quick dialogue will annoy quickly after a few attempts.

God of War III, I'm looking at YOU!
#12 at 20:04:36 - 24/07/2010
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Any first or third person shooter that make you hold down the left stick to run. I find this the most unintuitive and fiddly control method of all time. If I find this in a game and I can't change the controls, then I don't bothering running at all ;-)

In fact why do the majority of console games not let you redefine the controls?
#13 at 23:05:20 - 25/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Every game still does this and it's one of those little minor irritations that piss me off.

"Press start to play"

Like the start button, and the start button only. Because we're that anally retentive that we couldn't be arsed to just detect for any button pressed in the opening menu, has to be the start button absolutely...

#14 at 09:43:20 - 26/07/2010
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Look up Peej ^^^
#15 at 10:08:41 - 26/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
DOH!
#16 at 10:18:48 - 26/07/2010
TheBoy
Flag
Comments:235
Thread Kills:19(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Games that don't offer a simple instant retry/restart option and instead insist on taking you back to the menu screen. Tiger Woods is a good (bad) example of this. In the Tiger Challenge mode, it's highly possible to knacker things up on your first shot, but you can't simply restart. Oh no, you have to go back to the challenge selection menu - which requires a loading screen - before attempting it again which requires yet another loading screen. If this wasn't infuriating enough, it even asks if you want to save your game in between! Why the fuck would I want to save my progress after failing, you stupid game? Grr.
#17 at 11:11:22 - 26/07/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Broken difficulty levels.

Easy is something Stevie Wonder could complete. Normal makes you want to punch yourself in the face at key moments (typically boss battles). Hard should basically be renamed "fuck you".
#18 at 13:30:22 - 26/07/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Oh and any boss fight where you whittle the bastard down to zero health, only to find there's a phase two of the fight, which involves the cunt getting a full recharge of his health.

And you don't.

And the developer has seemingly never heard of a checkpoint.

Die!
#19 at 13:31:29 - 26/07/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Oh, and jingoistic Americans in online shooters.

Actually, jingoism has nothing to do with it.
#20 at 13:32:43 - 26/07/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
GTAIV's lack of checkpoints. ARGH!
#21 at 14:58:04 - 26/07/2010
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
repairmanjack said:Oh and any boss fight where you whittle the bastard down to zero health, only to find there's a phase two of the fight, which involves the cunt getting a full recharge of his health.

And you don't.

And the developer has seemingly never heard of a checkpoint.

Die!

That's not that bad... Heavenly Sword did it for a second time... The Boss had 3 health bars... :(

I didn't die 1 time during the normal game, I get to the last boss and I simply wipes the floor with me... I HATE BOSSES THAT ARE SUPER DUPER HYPER MEGA TUFFER THAN THE REST OF THE GAME!

Onimusha also pulled some of thsi on the final Boss... :(
#22 at 17:42:12 - 26/07/2010
repairmanjack
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Last boss on Conan springs to mind, too. It's just hateful game design.
#23 at 18:12:49 - 26/07/2010
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I call that, "The Final Boss of Disproportional Difficulty". Golden Sun did it, as did Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Sure, the final boss shouldn't be a pushover but there are ways to do this other than extending the lifebar or giving them a proc that if unprepared for ends the battle. I shouldn't have to fail a boss battle in order to learn how to defeat it.

Golden Sun has a double boss, that is you face two equally powerful opponents. It took all my party's resources to take just one down and then burning my reserves on finishing the second. It should have seen it coming but immediately after this is a third opponent who's first order of the day is to hit your entire party with a devestating attack. With no chance of recovery the option that is clear to me is to piss off for a few hours of grinding just so I have the HP and MP reserves to weather the storm. Quite frankly, the game shouldn't have let me get that far at my current level and I have no interest in spending the extra time just to be rewarded with a final cutscene.

M&L required a little grinding in order to do the mini-boss run prior to the final battle but that isn't the main issue. Half way through the final boss you get stripped down to 1HP for both characters and then have a gauntlet of attacks to avoid. You have to dodge perfectly with at least one character in order to get to your turn to get a chance to revive/heal them. While conquering this point in the battle gives a great sense of achievement, it's highly unlikely you'll succeed on the first attempt.

First time round you'll not expect this to happen and die immediately, the second time you'll fail because you don't know the pattern, subsequent failures will come from further unfamiliarity with the attack pattern or just simply the execution failure of stuff you've learnt to handle. Each time you'll have the first bit of the battle to do again and again, it's tiresome.
#24 at 18:25:59 - 26/07/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Agreed on all the boss talk.

Another annoyance. Devs who can't be bothered to give you something nice to look at during the end credits for a game. Or even a decent checkout sequence at the end, whatever happened to those over-blown FMV end sequences eh?
#25 at 18:29:26 - 26/07/2010
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
What also bugs me are wrong accents. A Persian prince surely should at least have a slight regional accent and not an American.

Agree with what has been said about Okami's dialogue. I wish they would have at least spoken Japanese and not some squeaky fantasy language.
#26 at 18:34:10 - 26/07/2010
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
British soldiers in Company of Heroes saying they're capturing an ammunition "dee-poh".
#27 at 18:38:25 - 26/07/2010
evilashchris
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
repairmanjack said:Last boss on Conan springs to mind, too. It's just hateful game design.

Heh.

I had to call in my mates 10 year old lad to do it for me :D
#28 at 19:28:19 - 26/07/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Any cutscene longer than 2 minutes. You aren't a brilliant filmmaker, no matter how much you want to be.

No long cutscene right at the start of the game, especially when I have no idea that it is likely to last 20 minutes. I probably only put it on quickly to have a quick play before going somewhere.

Tutorials that think I need to be taught how to use the direction controls, I'm not that retarded.

Don't make me backtrack several miles for something I could have gotten to before if the controls weren't gimped so I couldn't jump more than 1 inch off the ground.

Fix your animations that mean I can run into a wall and then start running on the spot. It looks stupid and should have been fixed years ago.

Instant deaths are stupid

As are checkpoints placed after the point of instant death

Boss fights aren't much better

Give me some indication of how much longer I have to play to get to the eventual payoff. When ttheres no clue to it then the chance is I'll never get there. It like being given War and Peace but only seeing one page at a time

40 hour games are stupid. Make them 15-20 at most then sell the rest as DLC if you must, just make each part of it a good standalone episode.

Few games programmers/writers are funny, chances are you aren't so quit trying so hard

Also, we aren't all 18 year old American fratboys with homosexual tendencies. Aim for something a bit higher more often please.

Don't release patches that make bugs/features worse

Don't make characters in cutscenes do things they don't do in the rest of the game. I've just shot 500 people, i've absorbed a huge number of bullets and barely show a scratch. A bloke coming up behind me and pushing me over being enough to capture me is stupid.

It's a game, don't take the controls away from me. I don't care if trying to push someone out the window during a cutscene looks stupid just let me do it.

Has peej been reading RPS? :P
#29 at 21:51:29 - 26/07/2010
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Huh. Longer list than I thought.

Oh. One more. Let me save whenever and wherever I like, don't care if it makes the game easy - having to repeat the same easy bit repeatedly to get to the bit I keep dying on is dull after the second attempt.
#30 at 21:53:15 - 26/07/2010

home