Mass Effect 3 - No Spoilers or mummy will spank... (Mummy spanking Shepard confirmed!)

Author Reply
DDevil
Flag
Comments:240
Thread Kills:15(3%)
AATG Pts:135
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Reveal trailer

Clearly taking inspiration from the student protests.
#1 at 11:38:11 - 12/12/2010
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I never really paid attention to Mass Effect. Is it an RPG or third person shooter?
#2 at 16:27:21 - 13/12/2010
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yes.

(both of those :)

#3 at 16:32:00 - 13/12/2010
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Err, right. :)
How big a part does the shooting play in the previous two games?

I guess it's the usual "Save the world, avenge your family/wife/parents" story, right?

Edit: Just saw that there will be a PS3 demo of ME2 next week. Will have a look at that.
#4 at 16:38:19 - 13/12/2010
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Mass Effect 1 wasn't great for the combat bits. Mass Effect 2 was a lot better. I'm guessing with the third one it's going to have a heavier focus on combat and shooting.

That said, the storyline is a little bit more than just a "oh noes, nasty aliens done my family wrong, I must kill them all" type thing. A massive galaxy wide conspiracy, an ancient alien race eradicating all other life. It's not bad.

Course, the game would be nothing without a sassy Cmdr Shepard at its core though.

I'll be interested to see what happens when this, Killzone 3 and Resistance: Fall of Man 3 all go head to head with each other.
#5 at 16:45:20 - 13/12/2010
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Still have to finish ME1 and start ME2, but with DA1, FFXIII and 3 more RPGs on the go I really don't know when I'll have the time to play them... :(
#6 at 17:23:30 - 13/12/2010
DDevil
Flag
Comments:240
Thread Kills:15(3%)
AATG Pts:135
Star Rating
Gold Medal
You know what? I was writing a "cliff-notes" version of the story here, but I got so far before realising there's just too much to explain.

Readthis instead.
#7 at 19:01:19 - 13/12/2010
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So this sounds and looks like utter gash, going from videos and impressions of the demo. Anyone on here want to offer something more positive about it?
#8 at 11:32:51 - 16/02/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
It'll sell well but I've yet to hear anything confirming there isn't any more of that tedious planet scanning / planet roving bollocks.

#9 at 11:46:08 - 16/02/2012
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Didn't rate it at all, but then I only recently got through ME2 (and I did end up enjoying it). It'll be surviving on the story for me, the mechanics feel a little tired now.

Should dump ninety percent of the shooting and go back to full RPG flavour. The shooting is the worst thing about it!
#10 at 12:08:35 - 16/02/2012
oneiros
Flag
Comments:78
Thread Kills:41(3%)
AATG Pts:95
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
repairmanjack said:
Should dump ninety percent of the shooting and go back to full RPG flavour. The shooting is the worst thing about it!

They seem to have done exactly the opposite of this; there's now an option to play ME3 as a shooter, converting all the dialogue choices into simple cutscenes.

I gave the demo a go (in 'classic ME' mode) last night and didn't bother getting to the end; I've played 1 and 2 to completion, but nothing about this grabbed me.

And the facial animation is absolutely shocking!
#11 at 13:43:26 - 16/02/2012
jiGen
Flag
Comments:0
Thread Kills:3(1%)
Star Rating
oneiros said:
And the facial animation is absolutely shocking

*snigger*

I haven't played the demo, or looked at any videos whatsoever. I'm aware of the negativity surrounding the game, but this is tempered by two things:

a) some of it is from people who whined about how horrible ME2 was, with the "dumbing down" and whatnot. I don't listen to those people, because ME2 was awesome :p

b) even if the demo is shite by any standards, this is not necessarily indicative of the game as a whole. Sometimes, demos don't do a game justice

And hey, even if the reviews aren't so good, I've still got this pre-ordered, I'm still going to buy it, and I'm still going to play the shit out of it. Because I love this series. Any problems that I have with the game will probably be mitigated by the character animations, superb voice acting, the chance to be a Renegade asshole to the hilt, possibly punching an annoying reporter woman in the face again, and just generally knowing where the story will end.

My bald Renegade Shep Shepard has been through two games now, and I'm not about to stop because of a disappointing demo.

(I will possibly be doing a lot of whining while I play through it, though)
#12 at 15:04:35 - 16/02/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Thing is, people seem to have forgotten just how bloody awful ME1 was - tore like arses, had terrible character models and animation and ME2 only marginally improved on that. For ME3 you're just getting a top and tail of the thing before it goes next-gen so it's bound to be a bit of a scrap job.

I think I'll wait for a price drop (though I've been saying that about Gears of War 3 and that's only just dipped below 20 quid on Play recently). I do want to see what happens but it sounds like the really horrible shooty bits have taken precedent, which is a damned shame.
#13 at 15:11:17 - 16/02/2012
jiGen
Flag
Star Rating
peej said:Thing is, people seem to have forgotten just how bloody awful ME1 was - tore like arses, had terrible character models and animation and ME2 only marginally improved on that. For ME3 you're just getting a top and tail of the thing before it goes next-gen so it's bound to be a bit of a scrap job.

I think I'll wait for a price drop (though I've been saying that about Gears of War 3 and that's only just dipped below 20 quid on Play recently). I do want to see what happens but it sounds like the really horrible shooty bits have taken precedent, which is a damned shame.

Personally, I thought ME2 improved on the first game in all the ways that really mattered. To me, the series has always been pretty combat-heavy, and the combat in the second game was miles better. The cover actually worked, and you could tell your teammates what to do.

There were complaints about the reduced focus on stat-crunching, but I for one did not care for the situation in the first game where you could go through whole levels without seeing much improvement at all in your combat abilities.

Yes, combat. Yes, it's a "shooty-shooty" kind of an RPG, but I don't mind that at all. Will it be Gears 3 in space but with a lot of RPG elements? Maybe, but I can't for the life of me see how that is a bad thing.

I guess any change in focus will disappoint some people. To each their own, and all that! Maybe I'm just too easily pleased. But I cannot imagine myself not enjoying this, at least to some extent.
#14 at 15:25:14 - 16/02/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Almost all RPGs are combat heavy. This is now a dialog-heavy action series though, that is the problem.

jiGen said:a) some of it is from people who whined about how horrible ME2 was, with the "dumbing down" and whatnot. I don't listen to those people, because their big words confuse me. Pew pew.

--

peej said:Thing is, people seem to have forgotten just how bloody awful ME1 was

I just replayed it over New Years (on PC, which is a p.big step up from the console version imo), and if anything this reinforced for me how unbelievably good it was. Still possibly my favorite game of this generation.

Even the first one is fairly "dumbed down", in one sense. IMO It plays like a Western take on a Japanese RPG in a lot of places, and does it spot on, but it walks a very fine line that it seems they have overstepped as the series has gone on.

edit: haha, I see an email encouraging me to go to the Mass Effect Facebook page to do... something. Clearly they have their priorities in the right place.
#15 at 21:06:54 - 16/02/2012
jiGen
Flag
Star Rating
Hey, I loved the first game. The story was great (especially the ending), the characters were fun to listen to, and the wh0le thing had a little more "epic-ness" than the second game. But imo it was the combat that needed the most improving, and that's exactly what they've been doing.

It was probably too far to accuse people of "whining" about the second game. Sorry about that. It's just that I can't for the life of me understand why it seems to be so hated.

I guess what it comes down to for me (at the moment; I'm still thinking about this) is that a lot of the RPG elements in the first game felt a bit... tacked on, as far as level progression and upgrades went. I liked the *idea* of powers and weapon upgrades, but in reality there was a whole lot of filler, with a lot of level-ups doing barely anything at all, with weapons and weapon upgrades being the previous model, but now with +1 (!) Were you excited when you picked up your 9th copy of a Katana VII shotgun? I wasn't!

With the first game, it felt like Bioware said "well, we've built a gigantic world with believable characters and politics, and spent heaps of time on the character animations and making the voice acting perfect. But we *are* an RPG company, so I guess we should put some stats in there to keep the fans happy" It felt a little half-hearted.

So for me, the move of Mass Effect away from the pure RPG towards something like a cover shooter with branching dialogue and some RPG elements is not really a betrayal. To me, it's the series coming closer to what it really wanted to be in the first place.

And so I hope this game will turn out to be the best damn "cover shooter with branching dialogue and some RPG elements" that it can be.

Also, pew-pew
#16 at 03:37:21 - 17/02/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
The only problem, of course, is that BW make great RPGs, which this series could have gone on to be, and not particularly great shooters (I actually don't think there's anything massively wrong with the combat on ME1, at least on PC, primarily because - as I said - it doesn't really play like a shooter).

Yes, every company that previously made good games in other genres could just go "fuck it, we'll make a shooter instead because that might be an easier sell", but you surely understand why not everyone sees that as a great thing?
#17 at 04:30:46 - 17/02/2012
jiGen
Flag
Star Rating
ilmaestro said:The only problem, of course, is that BW make great RPGs, which this series could have gone on to be, and not particularly great shooters (I actually don't think there's anything massively wrong with the combat on ME1, at least on PC, primarily because - as I said - it doesn't really play like a shooter).

Yes, every company that previously made good games in other genres could just go "fuck it, we'll make a shooter instead because that might be an easier sell", but you surely understand why not everyone sees that as a great thing?

Well, to me it retains enough RPG elements for it to differentiate itself from your standard shooter. And then there's the story, characters, etc.

But yeah, I guess I understand it as much as I can understand anyone with different tastes to mine. I can only really speak of myself here.
#18 at 04:44:17 - 17/02/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
That's fair enough! I just hope the story continues to be good enough to make it still worth playing.
#19 at 06:17:23 - 17/02/2012
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I turned the demo off halfway through. Utterly bored. Take control for 30 seconds, cut scene etc.. Seems a bit old hat now and facial animation is shockingly bad.

I think I will wait for it to hit the bargain bin
#20 at 11:09:58 - 17/02/2012
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Through the entire series the best facial animation has been for the Krogans. Everyone else seems to have daily appointments at the space-botox clinic.

Also

The multiplayer demo is actually quite fun, and it's very challenging in a good way. I thought it would suck vorcha-balls but it might turn out to be the best thing about the game.
#21 at 11:01:15 - 18/02/2012
jiGen
Flag
Star Rating
Well, EG gave it a 10. I know that's no ironclad guarantee of quality, but it sounds good to me!

I'm glad I'm not one of those poor folk who had their saves on a cloud, though. The whole point for me is importing my asshole Shepard from ME1/2. Really looking forward to punching that reporter in the face a third time.
#22 at 13:38:03 - 06/03/2012
jiGen
Flag
Star Rating
lol @ thread title change

No spoilers from me. Promise. :)
#23 at 13:47:37 - 06/03/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
jiGen said:Well, EG gave it a 10. I know that's no ironclad guarantee of quality, but it sounds good to me!

I'm glad I'm not one of those poor folk who had their saves on a cloud, though. The whole point for me is importing my asshole Shepard from ME1/2. Really looking forward to punching that reporter in the face a third time.

Yes but it WAS a Dan Whitehead review. And we know how special he is :)
#24 at 14:01:37 - 06/03/2012
jiGen
Flag
Star Rating
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH, SHUT IT GOOD, AN EG REVIEW SCORE IS CONCRETE AND OBJECTIVE NO MATTER THE REVIEWER

(I originally had a more conciliatory version of this post, but like this better)
#25 at 14:06:42 - 06/03/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
:)

Well I'm in - I played the demo. I swore, indeed SWORE that I would not get this for day of release. Playing the demo was a huge mistake because it gave me enough to make me realise I actually really liked the last game and grudgingly even forgive the first game its horrible glitchy bug-raddled annoyances.

Plus, fem shep is bloody hawt let's face it.
#26 at 14:50:26 - 06/03/2012
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
I REALLY cant wait for this, I just hope/pray the end the story well
#27 at 15:30:37 - 06/03/2012
LockeTribal
Flag
Comments:40
Thread Kills:5(3%)
Star Rating
I've only ever played about an hour or two of the first ME (damn you Steam sales) and don't really get all the love for the series. I'll have to put a bit more time into it and see if it improves.
#28 at 15:41:55 - 06/03/2012
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Well, that could be why.

The first game was real generic sci fi stuff. Things definitely 'got going' in ME2 and the DLC.

ME3 looks like it's really pouring it on, pulling out all the stops.

I still think anyone who says it's better than Star Wars shouldn't be allowed out of their house in daylight hours though. Then again, given that Kinect Star Wars trailer, you could argue that you'll never see Shepard strutting his/her funky stuff to the fucking Vengaboys.
#29 at 15:49:45 - 06/03/2012
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
If you didn't like the first game, you fully deserve to be enjoying the sequels. Let me know how well the Facebook app links into your retailer specific preorder DLC, please.
#30 at 17:51:48 - 06/03/2012

home