Author Reply
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hello folks, just in case anyone was wondering what's happened to today's Scrambled Column, there will be a short delay before service is resumed, and when it returns I'll be writing the column monthly rather than every week to give me more time to concentrate on writing for the Eggbox company blog and other projects.

In the meantime though if anyone has any suggestions or requests for future editions of the column then please post them up here.
#1 at 14:42:25 - 07/01/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
o/ and ;_; at the same time. Great articles, always look forward to 'em.

Ideas for future articles - how about something on "the next generation" - ie from a developer point of view, what do you see the big three doing next?
#2 at 14:53:36 - 07/01/2011
Barchetta
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:9(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
To add to Peej's thought - an insight into how a dev co gears up for a new generation too. How far out are specs well enough known for investments in engines, R&D etc. to be considered safe. How new goalposts in tech affect studios' morale - energised / daunted etc.
Any more pearls of wisdom will be read with interest! Shame the frequency will fall off but never mind the width, feel the quality, eh.
#3 at 02:34:24 - 11/01/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Cheers for the comments and suggestions chaps! Yes, I think something about the 'next gen' would be interesting, I shall mull it over.
#4 at 10:14:00 - 14/01/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
One interesting (and slightly scary) aspect of the prospect of a next generation of home consoles is the supply and demand thing. Taking the Nintendo 3DS as an example, Ninty have stated they'll be able to put 4 million consoles out at launch worldwide. Sounds a lot but that's a tiny tiny number when you consider they're aiming for a fairly narrow release window for the thing in all regions.

It got me thinking about the prospect of a new Microsoft console. Given the success of the Xbox 360, and the rising price of kit, you can well imagine what it'll be like in the year a new Xbox releases - particularly if that console releases near christmas. It'll be manic to say the least.
#5 at 12:56:38 - 14/01/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yes it's true, although really these days the hardware shortages should be a lot easier to anticipate. I wonder if Nintendo particularly are quite cautious about not over-producing a console early in it's life cycle - it would kinda fit with their financially cautious approach to business - and certainly in the case of the Wii they took a long time to actually catch up with demand.

But then you could argue the 3DS seems to be much more of an assured success than the WIi was, which at the time seemed something of a gamble, even if today it's easy to take it's success for granted.
#6 at 19:11:08 - 14/01/2011
Barchetta
Flag
Comments:67
Thread Kills:9(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
From memory the 360 was a scalpers dream too. It probably hit as Ebay was taking off which helped - I have a number of mates who ended up ordering two selling one and in effect getting the other gratis...

Not sure why I didn't jump at at too though I don't remember (Halo aside) a particularly glittering launch lineup.
#7 at 20:32:10 - 14/01/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Nintendo loves to be able to market their stuff as out of stock everywhere, or struggling to meet demand. No surprise at all, 4m units wouldn't even be enough for the number of orders they could take in Japan alone I would think.
#8 at 00:54:58 - 15/01/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The only time I've indulged in 'scalping' was in the PS1 era, when there was a christmas where the PS1 was in such short supply that it was just too tempting not to pick up a couple of extras to flog on when I worked at EB.

I doubt I'd do the same again. I do know someone I work with who picked up 6 PS3s at launch, expecting a huge amount of interest and IIRC he was stuck with them for ages before he sold 'em off at a loss. Should've kept them for a while (as they were the original 60gb ones with backward compatibility) as he might've clawed his money back in the end!

His girlfriend dumped him over the fiasco too :)
#9 at 10:38:58 - 15/01/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Heh, what a pillock. Even at the Japanese launch (where there was some serious price hiking if you were trying to import one), I still know people (including Mr. Trip Skyway) who were able to walk into shops and pick them up off the shelves.
#10 at 21:32:24 - 15/01/2011

home