peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
So, thoughts on the demo on XBLA?

Thought it was OK. Very pretty, very smooth - shame the demo was purely multiplayer as it felt like JAFPS deathmatch game.

The game engine's nice enough though. Looks very slick and easily as good as the COD engine.
#1 at 12:14:40 - 27/01/2011
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Could we make this the only thread on the internet that doesn't do that fanboy console shit over which version is better. And, no, I don't really care what your PC specs are either.

I didn't bother with the demo, following a disagreement over bandwidth, but picked this up for the 360 today.

It looks incredible!
#2 at 00:07:44 - 25/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Have to say, having seen Whizzo's PC running the game (or at least a video of it) it looks fine enough but then it bloody well should do, it's fucking Crysis 2 FFS! The original Crysis became something of a benchmark for judging how much loot you'd spent on your PC gaming rig, so the sequel should look a million dollars.

I thought the multiplayer beta looked very nice on 360 so I've opted for that version. PC gaming's no country for old men, can't be faffed with all that twiddling.
#3 at 09:10:10 - 25/03/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Where did you see the video of Whizzo showing off his fancy equipment?

(First person to take the bait on this post owes me a tenner)
#4 at 09:13:17 - 25/03/2011
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I have only seen videos and have to say it looks great on any platform. :)
However the jumping animation/movement looks very odd, like in so many FPS games.
#5 at 09:15:19 - 25/03/2011
Espad
Flag
Comments:148
Thread Kills:20(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
had a quick go last night on the 360 version, very nice indeed and it makes a nice change having some freedom to tackle the enemy instead of being funneled(?) down a corridor.
#6 at 10:48:38 - 25/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Whizzo's next purchase

$700 is a small price to pay for that amount of PC Gaming willy measuring!
#7 at 10:59:39 - 25/03/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Dem resolutions. :s
#8 at 21:27:25 - 25/03/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Comments:146
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:165
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I think I'll pass, rather amusingly (although not for anyone who does it) the drivers that are in the box with that card don't have thermal protection switched on so you can kill the card if you overclock it. Whoops.

As for the game it's pretty damn good, much more linear than the first two but it's fun.
#9 at 15:53:01 - 27/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'd love to hear the noise that card makes. Coupled with the amount of fans inside my rig it'd be like a harrier jump jet stashed under the desk! Not to mention a portable central heating system with the amount of heat that thing must kick out of its vents.
#10 at 09:24:20 - 28/03/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Although you could claim I was fairly biased, for what it's worth I'm enjoying this too. I think it strikes a good balance between providing a linear, cinematic experience interspersed with more open, freeform areas which really give you the opportunity to make decisions about how you make use of your suit and weapons. This gives it a feel very distinct from something like yer Call of Duty-type game and yet it loses none of the spectacle or bombast as a result. Yes, it's not freedom on the scale of some of the levels in the original Crysis but it's no worse for it.

The only thing I'm not really enjoying at the moment is that the game is almost *too* visually rich - I'm actually finding it really hard to spot enemies and objects of interest in amongst the sheer wealth of detail. It sounds kindof odd to wish for a less visually rich game but in some ways I think I would enjoy it more if it were.

#11 at 15:11:39 - 28/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Hopefully after Amazon got snowed under with all those 3DS deliveries, my copy should be sitting at home.

How much involvement did you have in this, Neko?

(btw congrats on your 77 on Metacritic)
#12 at 15:26:48 - 28/03/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The very short bit of video I've capped so far is here, I only really did it to see what impact doing full res (1680x1050) at 30FPS would do to the performance rather than stroke my e-peen so that's why it's unlisted.
#13 at 16:31:27 - 28/03/2011
Furbs
Flag
Comments:45
Thread Kills:37(2%)
AATG Pts:105
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
First full price/launch day title I've bought this year and its brilliant. Hoping my next laptop purchase will let me finally play Crysis.

Definitely think its the nicest looking 360 game to date, varied multi-player and single player is surprisingly fun given its all set in NY.

Better representation of a major city after alien attack the Battle:LA game, and a hell of a lot more fun than Skyline.
#14 at 17:18:18 - 28/03/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Perhaps in the next generation of consoles or someone is prepared to do PC exclusive we'd have the visuals of Crysis 2 (which are still only DX9 as it stands so no lovely tessellation for example) with the scope of Prototype.

Hopefully with a better script too.
#15 at 17:39:14 - 28/03/2011
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I will play this but I need to finish Bulletstorm first.
#16 at 17:46:32 - 28/03/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:Hopefully after Amazon got snowed under with all those 3DS deliveries, my copy should be sitting at home.

None really, I took part in a few of the playtesting sessions and that was about it - so I was looking forward to playing it as much as anyone else really!

Heh, very nice. :) It does feel slightly like cheating that TimeSplitters 2 and Second Sight are both counted multiple times but at least they go some way to offsetting the score for Haze. :)
#17 at 19:12:42 - 28/03/2011
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Ah, but it's below 85 so you'll never get hired for a triple AAA project ever again. :P
#18 at 20:42:44 - 28/03/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Whizzo said:The very short bit of video I've capped so far is here, I only really did it to see what impact doing full res (1680x1050) at 30FPS would do to the performance rather than stroke my e-peen so that's why it's unlisted.

Yikes, that looks a bit good. Your e-peen must be very happy, either way, haha.

Might be about upgrading my PC come bonus time next month...
#19 at 08:19:53 - 29/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Come on Amazon, ffs! How long does it take to clear that backlog of 3DS orders ya chumps!
#20 at 08:39:38 - 29/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
nekotcha said:
peej said:Hopefully after Amazon got snowed under with all those 3DS deliveries, my copy should be sitting at home.

None really, I took part in a few of the playtesting sessions and that was about it - so I was looking forward to playing it as much as anyone else really!

Heh, very nice. :) It does feel slightly like cheating that TimeSplitters 2 and Second Sight are both counted multiple times but at least they go some way to offsetting the score for Haze. :)

Oh well, it didn't last long. Metacritic has now pulled the developer ratings. Stupid bloody idea anyway :)
#21 at 09:50:31 - 29/03/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, it was clearly pretty flawed - a few of my mates were complaining/celebrating on Facebook that it seemed to pretty randomly ignore some games. And I also wasn't too comfortable about the idea of companies using it as some sort of basis for judging the quality of a potential employee, and if you think that sounds far fetched bear in mind that many publishers now tie bonus payments in to Metacritic rankings so it's hardly unprecedented.
#22 at 16:26:03 - 29/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Oh I don't doubt it for a second. Whenever you see tempting and tasty job adverts for games industry jobs it seems they're more interested in the games you've worked on before, and how well those games did than your actual core skills.

I have no idea what Metacritic was thinking, unless this was some sort of crappy knee-jerk reaction to David Braben's call for a Metacritic for reviews sites. Which I actually think would be a far more sensible idea than a site like MC getting too big for its boots.
#23 at 16:51:40 - 29/03/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Bit more footage, I upped the capture rate to 50FPS (even though my average framerate outside is around 45ish), it dropped my framerate down to 34 or so, a tad better than capping at a fixed 30FPS.

It does screw up your reactions a bit though suddenly losing 10 frames per second, although it's still faster than the consoles! The 101 seconds in this clip was 4 gig before compression, Xviding it turned it into 220 meg and it's obviously been downscaled to be 720P, it's a lot nicer full resolution I can tell you.
#24 at 23:35:14 - 29/03/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Some further Crysis 2 play and I had the following thoughts (c+ped from an email I sent this morning)

I'm enjoying it less the further the game progresses, could it be because it's shooting aliens again and no humans, lets think.... FarCry (turned crappy when you stopped fighting mercs and just had Trigens to kill) Crysis (turned crappy when you stopped fighting North Koreans and just had aliens to fight) Crysis Warhead (turned crappy when you stopped fighting North Koreans and just had aliens to fight so I stopped playing it), Crysis 2 (turned crappy when you stopped fighting CELL and just had aliens to fight). I'm not Sherlock Holmes but I'm detecting a pattern.

Hey Crytek, STOP WITH THE FUCKING MONSTERS PLEASE.
#25 at 14:11:54 - 30/03/2011
frod
Flag
Comments:102
Thread Kills:35(3%)
AATG Pts:130
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
It's a classic solution to the problem of dragging out and fps for longer than five hours; change the bad guys completely. I blame Halo.
#26 at 14:51:51 - 30/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Dived headlong into this yesterday (finally moved the Xbox 360 back upstairs, yay!) and I think Neko hit the nail on the head. It's almost TOO visually rich in places, and coupled with the lower resolutions and sometimes quite noticeable texture / object pop in, it feels like a game that's stretching the capabilities of the 360 a little too far at times.

That said, it's an extremely solid game (at least the first couple of hours of it that I've played have been).

There's a lot of stuff I'd have trimmed though. The suit interaction stuff and the HUD stuff is practically fucking useless when you're in the middle of a busy firefight and it's no substitute for just hunkering down and getting on with popping the enemy.

The checkpoints are bloody terrible in places (I'm thinking about one particular mission where you've got quite a long and drawn out bridge fight that doesn't checkpoint right until the end - very frustrating).

Don't like the cover mechanic either (particularly when it's telling you to use the left trigger to look, the right stick to move out but the right stick doesn't appear to do that - the left stick does!)

Otherwise though it's probably one of the best looking shooters I've seen on the 360 and there's something quite Crackdown-ey about the levelling up and use of some of the abilities (leaping off a building and shoving armour mode on just before you land, slipping into stealth and snapping a few necks is very satisfying).

Not quite as 'wow' as I thought it would be but still quite tasty. Maybe I should've bought the PC version after all :)
#27 at 09:16:21 - 31/03/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Whizzo said:Some further Crysis 2 play and I had the following thoughts (c+ped from an email I sent this morning)

I'm enjoying it less the further the game progresses, could it be because it's shooting aliens again and no humans, lets think.... FarCry (turned crappy when you stopped fighting mercs and just had Trigens to kill) Crysis (turned crappy when you stopped fighting North Koreans and just had aliens to fight) Crysis Warhead (turned crappy when you stopped fighting North Koreans and just had aliens to fight so I stopped playing it), Crysis 2 (turned crappy when you stopped fighting CELL and just had aliens to fight). I'm not Sherlock Holmes but I'm detecting a pattern.

Hey Crytek, STOP WITH THE FUCKING MONSTERS PLEASE.

That's a bit of a shame because the first few encounters with t he aliens are quite compelling - they move and fight very differently to the CELL soldiers (even if they do appear to spend an awful lot of time running and jumping about rather than actually shooting), and feel like a genuine escalation in the toughness of the enemies in the game.

I'd say Half Life deserves some of the blame too, after that came out it was apparently unacceptable for an FPS to feature only one enemy, the player always has to be in the middle of two battling factions. It's not the only place the Half Life influence is felt too - the level that features the battle through a storm drain is a definite homage to the early stages of Half Life 2.

I'm agreed with Peej on how baffling some of the suit stuff is. Took me ages to work out what was going on when the suit announced 'Tactical Options Available', and to be honest the process of identifying them feels a bit fiddly considering that just charging in and using the old uncloak/shotgun/cloak approach still works almost as well as it did in Crysis 1.
#28 at 15:17:22 - 31/03/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Doesn't exactly help to read the manual, or that the in-game tutorials were a bit sparse on what the tactical options offer (other than a quick zoom in, highlight a few enemies (for what purpose?) then remember that you can just charge in there, shoot the fuck out of everything and then progress in the normal FPS fashion.

I'm glad it's not just me then. It's almost trying to be too clever for its own good and I seriously would've loved to have just seen the crosspad options feature armour, cloak and thermal vision (which is annoying also) rather than all the other stuff. Unless I'm going to really need that shit later on.

Loved the alien AI, very clever and genuinely challenging but I can see how they'll get annoying after a while (sit still while I shoot you, dammit!)

I'll keep plugging away though, determined to finish this as I got quite far with Crysis 1 before getting really pissed off with the aliens and never going back to it.
#29 at 15:29:48 - 31/03/2011
Whizzo
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'm not impressed with the alien AI really, the basic unit jumps around a bit then mostly runs straight at you so it's Doom style move backwards and shoot time, the shielded one uses cover a bit and doesn't jump around so much before running straight at you perhaps using its ranged attack and then you've got the most blatant Hunter clone in existence that shoots it's minigun thing before coming straight at you. Right onto the C4 you plonked down before you kited it. If there's other units I've not met yet it's because I'm in no hurry.

Bungie's AI guys have nothing to worry about.
#30 at 15:37:23 - 31/03/2011

home