Author Reply
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
There's an item you should be able to collect in Lost Izalith that will make navigating the Tomb of the Giants much easier. There's also another item in the Tomb of the Giants itself that does the same job, although you obviously have to put up with stumbling around in the dark for a while before finding it. :/ I gather there's also a spell (or miracle) that does the same job although I never found it (and I probably would have been too low a level to use it anyway - I hardly used magic at all in the game).

There should be another fire keeper soul somewhere on top of the one in the Catacombs. Can't remember for the life of me where although I definitely found it before getting to Anor Londo .

Out of interest did you ever figure out how to get to the Blacksmith in the Catacombs? If you listen in one corner of the room before the boss you can hear him working away but I could never figure out how to get to him.
#271 at 10:42:14 - 24/02/2014
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Hm, never found or even heard the blacksmith. Looks like you have drop down a specific hole to get there. In other words it's another one of those things the majority of players would definitely miss unless they read a guide.

Just before I got to the Catacombs boss one of the enemies dropped a light. Pretty fortunate that, I surely would have walked off a cliff in the Tomb if I hadn't found it.
#272 at 14:14:36 - 24/02/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hm, that's a shame, I do remember there were a few shortcuts in the Catacombs that you could access by dropping off ledges but never found the blacksmith. To be honest I've never particularly liked the way DS sometimes asks you to drop off ledges onto barely-visible ones below - there were places in Demon's Souls like that too and between the camera and the physics system it always feels more like chance than is fair, in my experience.

I also didn't enjoy the handful of places that asked you to navigate insanely narrow platforms (Sen's Fortress, mainly) - in a game where your movement controls are tuned for large, open areas and thus lack the finer-grained control for small spaces, this just felt unfair. Mind you, at least I was playing on the XBox pad, wouldn't have fancied trying those sections using a DualShock3. :/
#273 at 10:11:26 - 25/02/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yeah, I'm in two minds about the narrow ledges as well. On the one hand I think it's great that you can walk on ledges that should in reality be walkable, but on the other hand the controls are, as you said, not made for tight spaces and there is often no clear indication that that is the path you should take. The path into the painting room in Anor Londo is one example. Without a well placed message from another user I probably wouldn't have thought of going up that thin, steeply sloped roof path.
Then again, that's probably the kind of experience the devs were aiming for; working together with all other players to figure out how to traverse a level and overcome the challenges within them.
#274 at 16:25:28 - 25/02/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
To be honest I'm mostly glad there wasn't a bit like the section in Demon's Souls where you had to drop down a large, deep shaft by falling down to successive (barely visible and rather small) platforms. The number of lives I lost on that bit...
#275 at 18:04:34 - 25/02/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
When in doubt, run!

I really didn't want to slowly fight my way through the Tomb of Giant, so I just decided to give the old run-as-fast-as-you-can tactic a go. Worked like a charm once again! :)

Defeated the boss there and I'm now facing Gwyn. He's pretty quick! For the past 45 hours I relied on my enemies being slower than me. Not sure how to deal with this one, yet.

nekotcha said:To be honest I'm mostly glad there wasn't a bit like the section in Demon's Souls where you had to drop down a large, deep shaft by falling down to successive (barely visible and rather small) platforms. The number of lives I lost on that bit...

Yeah, I remember that one. The alternative path was way more annoying, though! I think I took once and from then on I always risked my souls to going down the shaft.
#276 at 20:38:52 - 25/02/2014
Bremenacht
Flag
Comments:38
Thread Kills:7(5%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
nekotcha said:To be honest I'm mostly glad there wasn't a bit like the section in Demon's Souls where you had to drop down a large, deep shaft by falling down to successive (barely visible and rather small) platforms. The number of lives I lost on that bit...

Urgghhh. Killed the merchant in that area by accident. Dropped in, lashed out, no way back. Most annoying.
#277 at 02:32:07 - 26/02/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Syrok said:When in doubt, run!

I really didn't want to slowly fight my way through the Tomb of Giant, so I just decided to give the old run-as-fast-as-you-can tactic a go. Worked like a charm once again! :)

Hah, nice - it's a fairly annoying area anyway. Even with an item that casts light it's still pretty dark, and the skeleton dog things are frustratingly hard-hitting if you get caught by one of their combo attacks. You'll have missed out on a few items of course, but at this stage of the game it probably doesn't make much difference anyway. At least you didn't make the mistake I did of spending the best part of an hour patiently clearing out a room chock-full of giant skeletons only to find it was a dead end. :/ (Okay, so there were some items in there including an ember, but none of them were things I ever used).

Syrok said:Defeated the boss there and I'm now facing Gwyn. He's pretty quick! For the past 45 hours I relied on my enemies being slower than me. Not sure how to deal with this one, yet.

Yeah, his speed and aggression are a really painful combination as you get hardly any windows to take a moment to heal, let alone get a decent attack in. The pillars are helpful with the former - get one between you and him and it will usually buy you enough time to heal up. The only safe window for attacking him I found was after his 'grab' move, where he staggers a bit, and even then you only get time for 1-2 hits.

I found that keeping him at a medium distance was best as he has some annoying 'dive across the arena' moves if you get too far away, and he has too many close-range combos to survive very long if you try toe-to-toeing it. It's hard though as he can close up the ground between you incredibly fast, and that sword has a ridiculous range.

Also if you haven't tried it already, the thing I said earlier about using a shield/armour with high flame/physical defence will help too - I think I used the black knight shield actually, picked up from one of the knights just before the battle (the black knights are a treasure trove of good kit - if you have an excess of twinkling titanite you can refine their armour into a really good set too).
#278 at 10:19:20 - 26/02/2014
HairyArse
Flag
Comments:1774
Thread Kills:127(2%)
AATG Pts:350
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Hopefully got a copy of Dark Souls 2 winging its way to me imminently. The question is, should I or shouldn't I?
#279 at 11:52:53 - 26/02/2014
Kay
Flag
Comments:342
Thread Kills:51(2%)
AATG Pts:160
Star Rating
Silver Medal
That's a rhetorical question, right?
#280 at 13:25:15 - 26/02/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Given that you hated the original so much that you finished it Hairy I'd say you should, and can then come and complain about it to us. :)
#281 at 14:49:38 - 26/02/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Victory achieved! o/

Summoned two players to help me. It was still a bit of a struggle, but between the three of us we managed to lock him in stumble animation a few times.

That ending; I might have to read up on some lore to figure out what that 10 seconds cutscenes meant.
#282 at 16:58:37 - 26/02/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Congrats dude! Even with two players helping I'm sure he was no pushover. To be honest I've actually read up on the ending and it still makes very little sense to me, although to be honest it took me so long to complete the game that I can't remember any of the earlier plot points anyway (vague as they were). Still, it's all about the journey, right? :)
#283 at 17:50:23 - 26/02/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Hah, yes it very much is in this case. Kinda wish other, open-word-ish games would adopt this kind of story telling, where the story is almost incidental and you can chose to dig deep, learn everything there is to know or just get on with the game. It goes someway in dispelling the sense that everything in the world revolves around you and that time stands still unless you are talking to any of the, say, 5 storytellers scattered throughout the world.
#284 at 20:10:23 - 26/02/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yes, I really appreciate the way the game doesn't tend to pummel you with the story, letting those who are interested seek it out and others just get on with playing. They've also been smart in the amount of things they've left only partially explained, allowing players to speculate and come to their own conclusions about their meaning. Given the ending sequence you could argue they've gone too far in that direction but I think that a lot of games, and particularly RPGs, would benefit from adopting at least a portion of this approach.
#285 at 10:55:09 - 27/02/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I couldn't resist starting another characterů Trying my hands on magic build this time. It's easier and a lot more difficult at the same time. Easier because the starting spell is already quite powerful against normal foes and I'm well acquainted with the enemies behavior. At the same time, my character is extremely weak since he (or rather she) has hardly any armor to speak of.

I thought it'd be clever this time and skip the Capra demon, the Depths, and 95% of Blighttown, but as a result I'm very much underpowered for the bosses. My spear did a glorious 14 points of damage to Queelag, while my spell did 49. Trouble is I only have a limited amount of spells.

But I did manage to ring both bells in less than 3 hours! :)

Now I need to get back to the Firelink Shrine somehow and then I need find a way to get passed all the guards in Sen's Fortress for I am certainly too weak to fight any of them.
#286 at 18:11:57 - 01/03/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Wow, I genuinely never realised it took so little time to get to both bells - it's funny how games always seem bigger and longer the first time through. I'm amazed you've managed to beat all the bosses so far with such a low level character though, I remember even the early bosses as being really quite hard. I have read though that pyromancy is a good approach for the first part of the game because a lot of the bosses are weak against fire.

How have you managed to skip the depths and the Capra demon though? I know there's that other route into blight town but doesn't that require a key you only pick up once you've gotten there from the depths?

I never thought of trying another character build - I barely used magic in the game so maybe a magic-based character would be an interesting thing to try. Hum, really should play something else though...
#287 at 16:58:09 - 02/03/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
If you pick the master key as your starting gift you can get there by way of New Londo and the Valley of Drakes. Requires some sprinting passed club wielding enemies, but definitely preferable to fighting your way through Blighttown.

I reckon it would be possible to get all the way to Anor Londo if you somehow manage to run passed the serpent soldiers in Sen's.

I usually don't use in games magic either. It feels too disconnected and right about now I would very much prefer to have a weapon that can deal some damage.
#288 at 20:30:29 - 02/03/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Hm, presumably the Anor Londo boss is going to be a bit of a sticking point though as you can't access the later areas without beating them. Should be fun with a low level character. :)

Started a new character myself yesterday (took the master key as my gift, which seems like it was probably a good call given your comments). I decided in the end to go for a really heavy melee-focused build as I always wanted to play around with some of the heaver weapons in the game but never had a high enough strength rating to be able to do so. Didn't take me long to get through to the Undead Burg (via Darkroot Garden, thanks Master Key) and Andre the blacksmith. Not quite sure where to go now though, I should probably go for the gargoyle boss and ring the first bell but I suspect I'll get hammered. Hum.
#289 at 14:42:19 - 03/03/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Oh, yes that's going to be a bit tricky. Especially since there isn't an NPC to take of the boss for you. At least I don't think there is.
In theory I should be able to get a weapon that scales with intelligence before I reach the Anor Londo boss. To create that weapon I need butterfly soul, which I got today. Other than that though I have made not much progress.

Can't say I'm enjoy playing as a magic user. It's a lot less satisfying than dancing around an enemy, blocking his attacks, and waiting for the right moment to strike.

When I get Dark Souls 2 (probably after this summer) I will most likely go for a medium to heavy armor character with a focus on melee as well.
#290 at 19:07:22 - 03/03/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, I would be surprised if you went far wrong with a medium weight, melee focused character in DSII to be honest. I hope they improve the value of upgrading some of the stats though - as we've discussed at length here already, it's basically not worth bothering with a lot of the stats in DS, which I think was a shame as it meant that actually your choice of what to spend your souls on (at least, in a first playthough) was rarely particularly difficult - either upgrade a weapon/armour, or your health/endurance.

I also felt a bit cheated because I spent a lot of my early souls quite broadly (across all of my stats), before finding out this was a bit of a waste of time. Mind you, maybe that's partly down to my play style. Hum, anyway, I am looking forward to DSII, I'm also going to leave it until later this year though - seems like a game to be playing in the Autumn/Winter, rather than over the Summer.
#291 at 10:49:26 - 04/03/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
A nine out of ten from Eurogamer for Dark Souls 2. It does sound good - something I hadn't realised before is that enemies now disappear after you've defeated them a certain number of times, essentially clearing areas after you've been through them a few times. This is actually something of a double-edged sword as it's going to make grinding a lot harder (although there are apparently items you can use to regenerate them), but on the other hand it does mean that areas where you have to fight through a load of enemies every single time just to get to the boss should be a thing of the past (e.g. Anor Londo in DS, although I confess I eventually gave up fighting the sentinels before the boss each time and just ran past them instead).
#292 at 09:24:32 - 11/03/2014
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yeah, that should be interesting. You could always just run past all most enemies, but not having to deal with a bunch of low level enemies after a while sounds good to me, even though I do enjoy slicing through enemies who gave me trouble many hours ago.

I look forward to playing eventually. Would be great if they released it on PS4, too. That would give me a good excuse to get one. :)
#293 at 16:12:57 - 14/03/2014
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Yeah, it's a testament to how satisfying the combat feels that carving through low-level enemies you've beaten hundreds of times before is still satisfying. I will definitely miss the opportunity to grind as without it there were a few places in DS that I would never have gotten past, but I think having played DS now I know to be a bit cautious about levelling and which armour/weapons I upgrade, which should hopefully mean I don't hit quite so many sticking points.

I'm hoping for a PS4 version too - would be nice to have something substantial to get my teeth into when I get one, also by the sounds of it the performance isn't great on either console and if I can avoid experiences like I had in Blight Town (edge across narrow platform... try to turn a little... game drops a bunch of frames... fall to my death... :/) that can only be a good thing!
#294 at 16:43:41 - 14/03/2014

home
Left