Author Reply
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I've just finished playing through the demo version of this adventure game and I was so impressed that I've gone and bought it.

The story has you hooked from the start. It's two stories that meet up: The tale of the human lab rat who's memory has been erased multiple times, and the man tracking down an old friend who is on the run. Initially light-years apart (literally) these two threads will meet. Both are mysteries, and while common tropes for their genre (amnesiac room escape and detective work), hopping between the two has massive benefits. The shifts between them can delineate chapters and you'll always be eager to get back to the other, especially if your last visit ended in a cliffhanger.

At least that's what the demo teases. Have a look over at The WadjetEye website.
#1 at 20:14:10 - 24/02/2011
Trip SkyWay
Flag
Comments:539
Thread Kills:77(4%)
AATG Pts:175
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Sounds really cool, like the look it's got too.
#2 at 01:59:43 - 25/02/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
You've sold me on the premise, will have a look while I'm off tomorrow.
#3 at 03:21:41 - 25/02/2011
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Finished it. I was wrong about the way the game jumps between the two stories, you can actually switch between the two yourself for a good deal of the game.

I must say it's very well written. You may guess how the plot will turn down the line but you won't be exactly right as there are enough variables. Exposition is incredibly efficient as back story is drip fed by one-liners. Not everything about this universe is explained, just what is pertinent. It's all the better for it, you can fill in the blanks yourself.

Puzzle-wise it's very good. The clues will be made apparent with very little digging. Especially early on where there are a few puzzles with multiple solutions and a variety of entry points. None of the frustration from trying a perfectly viable gambit and being denied because it isn't what the game expected. That solution space does narrow further into the game but by then you're better aquainted with what should work.

I was only stuck or frustrated in 2 seperate occaisions and these were due to some of the old enemies of adventure gamers. A dialogue tree that required you pick the right option with no feedback to steer you to the right one. And A good old pixel hunt for that one item that would let you progress the scene.

There are some gunplay sections which requires some keyboard control to pop out of cover and fire. The game very cleverly teaches you using the good old tutorial in a tutorial trope. There is an option to set the combat to Easy, which I guess weakens the enemy. This is what I played with as I didn't see the point of add potential frustration. That said the shooting does add some moments of drama and tension.

The music is superb. The voicework is good, the actors aren't hammy or wooden and they have been well directed. Not an intonation or enunciation out of place. The artwork is sumptuous whilst retaining the functionality required at a low resoltion.

Can't wait to burn through it again with the director's commentary turned on.
#4 at 04:22:26 - 25/02/2011
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Now on Steam : £5.94 15% off offer

Currently very very cheap here: Currently £1.83 for
-ARES Extinction Agenda
-Gemini Rue