Author Reply
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
The wife, bless her, thinks she's getting tubby (she's not. She's still a size 10. I just don't understand it, but there you go) and was thinking about joining a gym. I say thinking about it, she actually was, until I worked out it was going to cost us 600 a year and nearly had a fit.

So, she's now thinking about getting a fitness game for either the PS3, Wii or 360.

We don't have Kinect, but we could get it.

So, anybody tried any fitness games and can recommend one/any? Not Wii Fit though, as she tried that and was thoroughly bored (as was I), as it tried to be entertaining and failed.

She had a look at EA Sports Active 2 today and liked the look of it, but not sure what that's like.
#1 at 22:40:48 - 02/05/2011
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The Biggest Loser is great on Kinect, I really like it.

Works brilliantly, but you have to have a decent space for it.
#2 at 00:31:39 - 03/05/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Mythical
Front
Page

:)

Seriously, this site has hosted more coverage of fitness games than just about any other. If you missed it all though, in order of merit:

1) EA Sports Active 1 and the add on pack (Wii)
2) Nike Kinetic (no not Kinect! This is an old PS2 eyetoy thing and is dirt cheap but knocks all the modern fitness games for six)
3) Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Kinect)
4) Zumba Fitness (Wii)

Most of the others are much of a muchness (The Biggest Loser is OK but a lot of faffing about to get it set up (for me at least) but as Chris says, the more space you have the better.

TBH the EA Sports Active packs (if you can get the first one still) are bloody amazing value and actually do work and track progress far better than any of the other suites on offer. Zumba's OK too but has a bit of a shitty scheduler / calendar.

Wii Fit is a bit shit tbh. Too much like a game.
#3 at 09:26:00 - 03/05/2011
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I've used EA Sports Active on the Wii. Good for all round toning and cardio. That's not to say it goes easy on you, I have two words for you. Squat Jumps. The Wii version is also pretty good at detecting if you are perfoming the exercises too. Peej will tell you the Kinect version isn't so hot in that regard.

#4 at 09:30:15 - 03/05/2011
billdoor
Flag
Comments:183
Thread Kills:158(4%)
AATG Pts:180
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I'd agree with EA Sports Active- very competent on the Wii. Wife's been doing some Your shape fitness evolved and has liked that too.

So, if you want a gadget, get fitness evolved, or if you don't, buy sports active. If your wii is modded, you can buy the holster and resistance band as a separate pack.
#5 at 12:11:15 - 03/05/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Tiger_Walts said:I've used EA Sports Active on the Wii. Good for all round toning and cardio. That's not to say it goes easy on you, I have two words for you. Squat Jumps. The Wii version is also pretty good at detecting if you are perfoming the exercises too. Peej will tell you the Kinect version isn't so hot in that regard.

In general I think Kinect suffers from the same problems that the Eyetoy fitness stuff used to - but then again if you're going to use one of these things to 'get fit' the assumption is always made by the developers that you're not going to sit in an armchair holding a beer and listlessly jiggling the controller (your arms / legs) up and down to 'cheat' the system :)

#6 at 12:41:15 - 03/05/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
billdoor said: If your wii is modded, you can buy the holster and resistance band as a separate pack.

Or make a holster and buy a proper resistance band as the EA one is a bit shit and flimsy (though it's not easy to juggle a resistance band with proper handles AND the Wii Remote for some exercises)

If you want a cheapo way of providing the required resistance use wrist / ankle weights in conjunction with EA Sports Active - frees your arms and legs up to do the exercises properly and you still get a decent workout.
#7 at 12:42:48 - 03/05/2011
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Cheers guys

I did actually use the search to look for games, but it came back with nothing (I entered 'fitness' so no keywords for fitness could have been used for the reviews perhaps?).

Based on your recommendations, I managed to pick up EA Sports Active 2 for the Wii today for 29.97 from Asda before coming home.

She's doing it now, and really enjoying it (although the 20 minutes spent getting the bloody sensors to detect were painful...for me, as I had to deal with the complaining).

I tried to get the original, but although they had a display case, they had no stock.

Quick question...would the original game (and the add-on) work with the Active 2 equipment, or would I have to fashion a holster for the nunchuck?

I'm assuming if you have to use the nunchuck you could just poke the nunchuck cable down the Active 2 thigh thingy? Or does the nunchuck have to be upright (as it would point down if you did that with the thigh thingy).
#8 at 22:25:50 - 03/05/2011
kentmonkey
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Anyone know how to properly tie the resistance band to the velcro handles?

Although I found it highly amusing and so very nearly wet myself (I've still got watery eyes), it has just twanged out of the handles and twatted her (while she was doing a full shoulder press so fully extended) on her foot. And with no socks or shoes on, that had to hurt. I've just retied it but doing a standard knot and that's obviously not enough!

/giggles
#9 at 22:42:25 - 03/05/2011
Ace Grace
Flag
Comments:95
Thread Kills:24(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I was really enjoying the Biggest Loser until I found out that it isn't really fun and lost interest.

Are there any others that are "fun", like Wii Fit?
#10 at 10:26:15 - 04/05/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Zumba is fun, but probably for all the wrong reasons.

Most of the 'fun' fitness titles seem to require a lot of buy in and effort before you'll get a proper gym-style pay off of actually getting fit as a result of doing 'em. FWIW the EA Sports Active titles are actually a lot of fun (some of the game-style stuff between the proper fitness activities helps break the thing down into a good combination of an actual 'game' and actual physical activity).

Got a couple more Wii fitness things turning up from the missus' blog efforts so I think I'll do another fitness title roundup in the next couple of weeks.
#11 at 11:37:03 - 05/05/2011
Tiger_Walts
Flag
Comments:322
Thread Kills:67(4%)
AATG Pts:190
Star Rating
Gold Medal
If you just want cardio, fun and burn off a few calories then pretty much any dancing game is all you need.

I equate them to bouncy castles. They look like very little work effort but once you've been on for 5 minutes you realize that you were oh so wrong. You feel like Superman in a Kryptonite straight jacket.
#12 at 12:02:24 - 05/05/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Aye, similarly any of the motion control games that feature boxing or fighting are great for a pure cardio workout if you're not too fussed about working lower body / legs.

20 min bout on "The Fight: Lights Out" was about the toughest fitness thing I've ever tried. I like to think I'm fairly fit but after that I felt like I was on the brink of death (even though the execution of the game is a bit shit, the core workout you get from it is pretty similar to punching a bag (without the satisfying resistance, of course) for the same amount of time.

I swear though, all the fitness games miss one of the toughest upper body workouts going by not featuring rowing (again with resistance). If you could get something that simulated a 1 kilometre row, that'd turn you from Charles Hawtrey into Charles Atlas after about a month or so.
#13 at 12:14:01 - 05/05/2011
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I would love DDR if I were any good at it.

ALL THOSE ARROWS.
#14 at 12:14:29 - 05/05/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
DDR is godawful now though. Particularly the Kinect flavoured version that was demoed a while back.

Future of dance-based games is the Dance Central type of thing, even though it's a wee bit useless at properly detecting a bad move vs a good move sometimes.

I'm secretly annoyed that no one's done Samba De Amigo for Move. I mean look at the controllers FFS, they're already halfway there!

#15 at 12:32:01 - 05/05/2011
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
So the "Let's Dance: With Mel B" soundtrack has been revealed. Amusingly it contains no Mel B tracks. Especially as it has Word Up by Cameo, a song that Mel B actually covered herself. :O

So anyway here she is - dunno if all the other dancers are artificially tinier or if she's just an Amazon of a woman. Hmm...
#16 at 18:15:14 - 06/05/2011
Micro_Explosion
Flag
Comments:83
Thread Kills:129(4%)
AATG Pts:220
Star Rating
Silver Medal
NewYork said:
So anyway here she is - dunno if all the other dancers are artificially tinier or if she's just an Amazon of a woman. Hmm...

WTF?
#17 at 18:53:43 - 06/05/2011

home