Author Reply
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
So is anybody else really looking forward to this being released on the 10th June?

I loved the original game and the sequel looks to improve on it in every way. What I liked about the first game is that it took the massive destruction from Crackdown and wrapped it around a proper single player campaign. You had a good variety of missions and the excellent comic book cutscenes to tell the story.

For the sequel Sucker Punch have mixed in-engine cutscenes with the comic book art for the story, but it still looks as good as ever. What I also like the sound of in inFamous 2 is the fact that Cole starts the game with all his powers intact from the first game. I always hate sequels that chuck away all the progress made in the previous game just to make you go through the same series of upgrades again. That isn't to say you won't be upgrading Cole's powers this time around, more like you'll be making him even more of an electric powered weapon of destruction ;-)

The morality system makes a return from the first game and according to the IGN review there are 2 very distinct endings. No multiplayer again which may disappoint some of you. Personally I'd rather the developers focus on making a rewarding single player experience, rather than go down the Crackdown route of putting the focus on multiplayer and having a bare bones campaign mode.

The only online feature is a side mission editor, where anyone can create and upload side quests to PSN. This feature looks like a bit of fun and definitely beats paying for a bunch of extra missions on DLC!

IGN 9.0 Review.
Gamersyde collection of inFamous 2 videos.

Roll on June 10th!
#1 at 13:18:43 - 29/05/2011
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I will be downloading the the first one come Tuesday (if the store is back by then). If I enjoy it a lot I might buy the sequel later this year.
#2 at 13:38:40 - 29/05/2011
repairmanjack
Flag
Comments:206
Thread Kills:94(2%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Two days before my birthday... so, day one purchase then.

And I still haven't finished the last island on the first game. Must be a good time to get it done.
#3 at 13:46:30 - 29/05/2011
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I really enjoyed the first, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Don't like Cole's new voice though :(
#4 at 13:51:25 - 29/05/2011
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
My birthday is on the 4th, but I'll be waiting to buy my 2 birthday presents (Infamous 2 and Alice).

This are the only games that I'm hyped about! :)
#5 at 19:04:33 - 29/05/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
For some reason this just doesn't strike me as a game you can really make a lot better/different in a sequel (although I am not particularly a fan anyway, so I've not paid "that" much attention to it), was the story good enough that playing through a new one will be worth it?
#6 at 19:20:40 - 29/05/2011
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
evilashchris said:Don't like Cole's new voice though :(

Me too. I'm not sure why they felt the need to change Cole at all. The original redesign of his face was appalling, but at least now he looks almost the same as he did in the first game. The good thing is Sucker Punch haven't messed with the gameplay and that is the most important thing :-)
#7 at 19:21:47 - 29/05/2011
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
repairmanjack said:Two days before my birthday... so, day one purchase then.

And I still haven't finished the last island on the first game. Must be a good time to get it done.

Definitely worth finishing the first game as your trophy data will unlock stuff in the sequel.
#8 at 19:25:27 - 29/05/2011
Dragul
Flag
Star Rating
o/

Great no more "the hero slipped on the bath tub and got ammenisa again so he lost all of his powers again!"
#9 at 20:58:53 - 30/05/2011
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Tried the demo just now. It's actually not bad. The controls are a bit twitchy, but aside from that I enjoyed it.
Seems like a game where playing evil is more rewarding. >:)
#10 at 12:52:25 - 03/06/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I thought that about the original. Stuff all that 'great moral burden' stuff (and I really hate that in games anyway), torch pedestrians with fire!

Will probably have a better go with the demo tonight as it's in the download queue.
#11 at 13:18:17 - 03/06/2011
Dragul
Flag
Star Rating
It's just a shame I can't play evil... for some reason I always choose the good path.

Really liked the demo, the destructible enviroments and the the graphical upgrade the game received is just awesome.

As for the voice I really don't know... I played the first in Portuguese and I'm counting that the Portuguese voice actors are the same really loved Zeek in Portuguese (the english one sucks) :)
#12 at 13:19:22 - 03/06/2011
Syrok
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yeah, I tend to play good as well. It's just easier and more natural for me, but in this case it's just so tempting to throw cars into street musicians.
I made sure I revived all the pedestrians I injured in the process mind.
#13 at 13:58:53 - 03/06/2011
Dragul
Flag
Star Rating
LOL!

You soft hearted villian! :P
#14 at 14:15:25 - 03/06/2011
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Very impressed with the demo of inFamous 2. The graphics are even better than the first game and the framerate is rock solid no matter how much is happening on screen.

The controls seem to have been tweaked from the first game as Cole definitely moves a bit faster this time around. You notice it especially when using your gliding power as it is no longer the momentum killer it was in the inFamous.

Sucker Punch also have to congratulated for putting together such a substantial demo. You get a few missions to complete, but are also given plenty of leeway to explore the city. Quite a few street musicians have felt my wrath ;-)
#15 at 16:42:10 - 06/06/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Thought it was OK. Some weird jinking with the camera at times, which made me feel like I was playing drunk.

Looks quite solid and fun but for the love of god WHY THAT VOICE!

Fucking hell, Cole now sounds like a cross between Dexter (no not the serial Killer, Dexter from Dexter's Lab) and Wayne Rooney without the accent.
#16 at 16:45:15 - 06/06/2011
Sillothian
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:Looks quite solid and fun but for the love of god WHY THAT VOICE!

Totally pointless character redesign. I'm not sure what possessed Sucker Punch to change Cole. Such a bizarre decision!
#17 at 17:08:54 - 06/06/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I wondered if he was channeling Sly Racoon's little tortoise buddy for a moment or two.

Now his fat comedy sidekick actually sounds more manly than he does.

One thing I did like in the demo was getting a handle on the vast new array of different ways to trash the city. The Damage model is ace!
#18 at 17:49:18 - 06/06/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Initial impressions from a few hours with this...

Nicely drops you right in at the deep end after the last game finished - which makes a sodding change for a sequel. You get a little bit of catchup and then you're off and running.

The talentless twat who did Motorstorm Apocalypse's 'cartoon' cut scenes and scene-setting stuff obviously got another gig - Infamous 2's scene setting stuff is the same rubbishy scratchy artwork. I seem to remember the original game having this too, and it still looks shit. Considering the amount of talented artists begging for work in the games industry at the moment, how do these fuckers continue to get hired?

Gameplay wise, absolutely everything about this feels tighter and more satisfying than the first game - and even feels better than the demo. It's deliciously smooth, the way you can pick out a path through the city's roofscape, drop down to street level to kick the crap out of a crew of muggers, leap back up a building Assassin's Creed / Crackdown style, and get back to the main task at hand.

Character models are odd. Cole now looks like someone went cap in hand to EA's mocap team and borrowed all their Wayne Rooney assets from FIFA Soccer. Most of the other characters seem shoddy, unfinished but that could just be the result of coming straight from a game like LA Noire to this.

The slow drip-feed of power from starting off as a complete weakling to slowly building up each of your combative and electrical powers is nice. Slightly clunky controls for assigning powers and 'buying' new ones, and it's not always made clear what the stunts are that you have to perform in order to unlock a level up / XP spend.

Neatly, the checkpointing is WAY WAY better than the first game. If you get your arse kicked in a skirmish (and you will, a lot) the action picks right back up where you left off more or less - so you're not necessarily forced right back to the start of a mission.

The Community Mission Remix bits are a neat addition though I'm slightly concerned that online you're going to end up with a city map peppered with completely rubbish community challenges getting in the way of your action.

Voice work is pretty terrible. Again though this could be purely from coming to this from LA Noire. Cole's voice sounds like the poor bastard could do with his balls dropping. All other voice work feels phoned in.

Levels of destruction aren't quite as impressive as the demo would lead you to believe, but there's a hell of a lot going on (sometimes a bit too much for the game engine to cope with) and some of the bigger battles I've had so far have been pretty good - on a par with Crackdown 2's levels of collateral damage I'd say.

Still find it utterly frustrating that Cole can't interact with the city a bit more. Can't do anything with vehicles (except throw them at enemies), seemingly can't visit internal locations and don't even try to swim :)

Overall though it's enjoyable stuff but Sucker Punch have got a very very long way to go before they're even getting close to the stuff Insomniac and Naughty Dog are doing on the PS3. Basically though if you are a massive fan of the original, this is better in a lot of ways and tons better than Prototype was.
#19 at 09:30:25 - 10/06/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Finished. Felt short (but these days is 10 or so hours 'short' ?) but loved it, it really starts to get interesting once you're past the initial feeling of being as weak as a kitten.

Fuck those cut scenes and cole's stupid voice though.
#20 at 09:25:39 - 13/06/2011
kentmonkey
Flag
Comments:292
Thread Kills:54(3%)
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I spent nearly six hours with it yesterday and only did five story missions. I betta get a crack on really, instead of fannying about with side missions.

Every mission really does feel the same though.
#21 at 18:58:32 - 13/06/2011

home