Author Reply
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Comments:25
Thread Kills:6(2%)
AATG Pts:90
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
I love mooching around my local(ish) comic shop, and every time I do - and walk out as I invariably do with some useless toy, or a book or maybe even a comic once in a while - I lament that fact that I'm not actually into comics. It feels like I'm missing out.

The problem is that on the rare occasion I do actually buy a comic, say if I've spotted some cover art I like or a familar name or whatever, I don't often enjoy it very much. The Hellgate London comic I picked up last week was an exception - cheesy though it was I quite enjoyed it and wanted more.

I also find browsing the comics quite daunting, and I tend to stay away from the main shelves and just look at the display stands etc, hoping to spot something interesting. I have no idea what I'm looking for, so I don't know where to start.

So anyway I was just wondering if anyone can recommend me something, I'd really appreciate it. Not interested in super hero stuff, but besides that I'll try anything. If I was pressed for a genre that appeals to me I'd say either Conan-esque blood and guts fantasy or sci-fi. I still don't know if I'm ever really going to like comics, but I don't want to give up just yet.
#1 at 17:09:14 - 05/02/2007
w00t
Flag
Comments:3
Thread Kills:3(4%)
AATG Pts:10
Star Rating
Sci-fi: Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis - drug-fuelled outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem takes on editors, cult leaders, corrupt cops and eventually the President - all set in a mildly twisted future where people splice alien genes, upload themsleves into nanobots and generally act nasty.
#2 at 17:14:10 - 05/02/2007
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Sounds good, it's on the list!
#3 at 17:27:35 - 05/02/2007
Nuttah
Flag
Comments:7
Thread Kills:9(6%)
AATG Pts:80
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
probably best to look at the EG list for some more ideas.

Have you read many comics or graphic novels? if not then I would recommend at least 2 books.

The Watchman
The Invisibles
Preacher (although the artist is a bit of a wanker.. and gets worse in latter books)
#4 at 17:59:02 - 05/02/2007
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Blankets by Craig Ringwalt Thompson.

Beautiful and very touching autobiographical thingy.
#5 at 18:04:07 - 05/02/2007
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
Of all the titles I was recommended amongst the numerous and varied replies I received when I asked the same thing on EG, I think I've enjoyed Y: The Last Man the most so far.
#6 at 19:02:58 - 05/02/2007
Dr.Haggard
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Cheers folks, I'm grateful for the recommendations. Now I can now go armed with a list, and I'll check out all of the above.

More suggestions welcome... is there any decent classic hack 'n' slash fantasy stuff?
#7 at 20:29:23 - 05/02/2007

home