Orpheus
Flag
Comments:18
Thread Kills:1(1%)
AATG Pts:110
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
http://www.the-ghetto.org/content/the-creation-of-battle-net-2-0-part-one

This was mentioned on RPS (Sunday Papers iirc) a while back, and is on the transition from a product model to a service model within the games industry via the increasing inclusion (and consequent seclusion) of closed-community, always online portals and services.

COD Elite fits the bill rather smartly, Pachter's comments about monetisation of the brand notwithstanding, so it's not just Ubi, though they are this guy's prime example/target.

Anyway food for thought, bit of a long winded piece and I don't vouch for the quality of writing, but definitely thought provoking stuff and one that would be a shame to let slip past.

Tried mentioning it on other gaming forums and was met with various degrees of head-scratching, but you chaps might get some good discussion out of it. :)
#1 at 22:34:12 - 08/10/2011
Dragul
Flag
Comments:75
Thread Kills:47(6%)
AATG Pts:50
Star Rating
Personaly I don't have any problem with the transition from Product to Service that the industry is doing.

If most of it remains free (even if it has a payed part) I for one won't be upset.

Just see Steam, PSN, Live, Origin, Battle.net, some of them are totally free, and some are a mix of free/payed. I personnally don't pay for nome of them (you need to keep the WoW sub out of it of course), and I think I stil get everything I want out of it.

I just choose to vote with my wallet, I only pay into services I want, am I happy to have to be always on to be able to play Diablo III?! No... Will I buy it?! Of course!

Don't like it don't buy it... or something like that!
#2 at 23:12:41 - 08/10/2011
ilmaestro
Flag
Comments:421
Thread Kills:290(4%)
AATG Pts:240
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I like it when it is designed to keep the industry running off the back of chumps' money and not get in my way (ie. Kelly Slater's Pro Warfare Elite), but I like it less when it results in fragmenting of the market (Origin "vs" Steam) and sending incomplete games to retail.

Japan is, as with lots of things like this, waaaaaay less into it than Western companies, which suits me fine.
#3 at 08:18:43 - 09/10/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I keep writing and scrapping an article for here about this transition. Things like the "season pass" stuff annoy the living fuck out of me and show that the industry takes on the role of PT Barnum at times. They know there are willing suckers out there who will shell out for something that guarantees them DLC for a quid or so off. Big initial sell of the season pass ensures that later DLC doesn't necessarily have to sell in great numbers to artificially inflate a game's initial price. If you've paid for the DLC season pass, you've already done the work for them.

I was so furious about the LA Noire DLC pass. Mostly because it was widely reported that all the DLC would be available with the pass, and no extra episodes would be released after the last pack. Which turned out not to be the case as an extra pack came out that WASN'T included in the DLC season pass.

Fuck that, that's just being a robbing cunt.

Of course, in the end you as the consumer can choose to keep your money in your wallet. But it does make you wonder just how mined out modern games are now (DiRT 3, excellent as it was, felt like a game asset stripped from day one and I am slightly worried that Forza 4 is going to feel the same).
#4 at 09:21:10 - 10/10/2011
Orpheus
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Yeah the 'online pass' rubbish really winds me up tool; if you transfer your purchase you transfer the server bandwidth etc associated with that account. Especially when (on MS console at least) you've already paid for the 'privilege' of a closed-market 'online' service anyway by signing up to Live.

So in that scenario, you get charged twice for your online gaming. And the point the guy makes re DLC is a very valid one, within that closed system a market is created for things that would normally be considered part of the package. The Witcher 2 DLC and all updates are free on PC because the developer actually gives a shit about the platform, on console they will be forced to charge by Microsoft.

I don't lump Steam etc into the same bracket however - Steam et al are content delivery platforms primarily, with some additional services 'gratis'.

And I don't know how I feel about the concept of this transition overall. To an extent I feel it is inevitable - but I am concerned about the 'lack of ownership' factor, the reliability of service provision (recent STALKER announcement being a case in point) and the increased intrusiveness of the service model.

I'd be interested to see the article though Peej, worth hammering on with it I reckon. If you get really stuck, maybe we could make a 'good cop bad cop' piece out of it, with each of us taking opposing views?
#5 at 15:43:55 - 10/10/2011
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
That might actually be cool. At the moment the piece is sitting here looking a bit 'ranty' which is unfair because not everyone buys into the asset-stripping DLC model (As you mentioned, The Witcher 2 team actually have the right idea and know what? I reckon it's actually a better marketing tool to advertise your game as 'free DLC, forever, because you bought our game' than 'We'll just drip-feed you expensive content because you're a sucker')

Durn this place needs some sort of a collaboration area :)
#6 at 16:14:30 - 10/10/2011
Orpheus
Flag
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
peej said:

Durn this place needs some sort of a collaboration area :)

Game if you are. Make it so! :D
#7 at 16:18:17 - 10/10/2011
evilashchris
Flag
Comments:592
Thread Kills:52(2%)
AATG Pts:200
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The 2400 poin online pass for Gears 3 was my main reason for trading it. I'll wait for the classics version, cheers.
#8 at 17:46:02 - 10/10/2011

home