Author Reply
peej
Flag
Comments:4691
Thread Kills:462(3%)
AATG Pts:400
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Finished and...I liked it. I think I could've done without the headfuckery in places but other than that it was pretty solid stuff.

#31 at 08:51:40 - 07/11/2011
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
So, is it just me or have they slightly changed the way the characters look? I don't just mean more polygons.
#32 at 09:12:57 - 07/11/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Yep. Sully looks pretty much the same, but Nate and Elena (and the other girl whose name escapes me) look distinctly different. Almost like they hired a new set of character artists for the duration of the game.

Actually prefer Elena's new look, but she's still as annoying as before.

I hope they do another. It's difficult to know where they could take the game series (other than onto a whole new generation of hardware) but I'd still like to play more.
#33 at 09:16:03 - 07/11/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Comments:175
Thread Kills:38(2%)
AATG Pts:140
Star Rating
Silver Medal
After playing through the mission after the chateau escape I am starting to find the hand to hand combat pretty annoying.

My beef isn't that the actual combat itself is annoying, it's more that in an effort to encourage more fisticuffs, Naughty Dog have clearly made the Ai characters much more likely to move forward and try to get into close quarters combat with the player. This frequently results in enemies appearing to the side or behind you, often in cramped places, which then ends up with several seconds of frenzied wrestling with the camera to try and get the assailant on-screen.

In the previous two games, the AI was largely static, with only occasional movement between areas of cover, and almost always happy to stay at a distance from the player. This meant fewer moment of fighting the camera and thus less frustration overall.
#34 at 12:08:03 - 07/11/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I'd have a little niggle about the AI too. After a while it's impossible to take on the enemy hand to hand simply because they're always either grenade-spamming you, or appearing from nowhere to hit you from behind. This made it really difficult to predict where to concentrate your fire. I guess the counter-argument is that real nefarious baddie hoodlum types don't wait till you're ready to start shooting the crap out of you.

It's a shame really. I had it in mind that I'd be able to get through the majority of the game resorting to stealth / hand to hand, like I did in Arkham City. Unfortunately you just cannot do that in Uncharted 3, the enemy are a bit too bloody clever and there's too sodding many of 'em too.

#35 at 12:31:50 - 07/11/2011
Sillothian
Flag
Comments:127
Thread Kills:46(3%)
AATG Pts:150
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm two thirds of the way through the story and all I can say is this game is AWESOME!

It looks and sounds fantastic, has a very cinematic feel thanks to way the in game camera is used and the game brings together a great set of characters. I also like the improved hand to hand combat controls and the many ways you can take out a bad guy.

Definitely my game of the year so far and only Skyrim is likely to come close.

#36 at 22:33:35 - 07/11/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
peej said:I guess the counter-argument is that real nefarious baddie hoodlum types don't wait till you're ready to start shooting the crap out of you.

Ah, but real nefarious baddie hoodlum types don't politely take it in turns to attack you either. :)

I do think the giant baddies that come along every so often are pretty funny, in a Jaws-kinda way. Or is it meant to be just one guy who's constantly chasing you round the globe, and for some reason always forgets to pick up a gun?
#37 at 10:50:31 - 08/11/2011
NewYork
Flag
Comments:1481
Thread Kills:105(2%)
AATG Pts:330
Star Rating
Gold Medal
Played some of this yesterday.

Baby Drake! ^__^
#38 at 13:35:36 - 10/11/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
nekotcha said:
peej said:I guess the counter-argument is that real nefarious baddie hoodlum types don't wait till you're ready to start shooting the crap out of you.

Ah, but real nefarious baddie hoodlum types don't politely take it in turns to attack you either. :)

I do think the giant baddies that come along every so often are pretty funny, in a Jaws-kinda way. Or is it meant to be just one guy who's constantly chasing you round the globe, and for some reason always forgets to pick up a gun?

Evil organisation in mad cloning experiments :)

I like how he changes from an eastender to an arabian looking dude half way through too.
#39 at 14:45:37 - 10/11/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I'm sorry to say that I'm seriously considering getting rid of this, which is a pretty galling thing to say considering I absolutely loved the first two games.

But... it's just a really annoying game to play. The chief offender is the combat, which has always been tough in the Uncharted games but now that they've added in some incredibly grenade-happy enemies and an inclination to constantly, aggressively flank the player, most battles seem to turn into mad flailing with the camera constantly pointing in the wrong direction and the main character jumping and grabbing onto things at inopportune moments.

Overall, I find that the balance of action sequences to exploration and puzzle solving is just to high in favour of the former; the bits I've always liked best in Uncharted have been when you're exploring ancient ruins or moss-covered temples but there's been hardly any of that in the game so far. In fact, most of the settings so far have been a bit of a disappointment - I can appreciate Naughty Dog's desire to explore fresh environments but sewers and urban settings (to name just two) really aren't why I play these games.

And the story, I really remember enjoying the pulpy nature of the story in the previous games, but Uncharted 3 really seems like it's taking itself too seriously, and I strongly get the suspicion that it's headed for a darker conclusion than I'd like.

All of which makes me wonder whether I wouldn't be better off flogging it now and picking up Zelda or Elder Scrolls instead. Hum.
#40 at 20:03:55 - 12/11/2011
Syrok
Flag
Comments:452
Thread Kills:81(2%)
AATG Pts:155
Star Rating
Bronze Medal
Have you tried playing on very easy? That at least makes the combat sections less tedious.

How far into it are you?
#41 at 21:41:34 - 12/11/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
The grenade spamming got me really annoying on a couple of occasions too. It seemed like a cheap way to get you to keep moving from cover, which was a stupid idea when the game actually has a fairly rubbish cover mechanic in the first place. In the end I just gritted my teeth through the combat sections because they really were small potatoes compared to some of the eye-popping sequences where you're exploring or puzzle solving.

Sadly I think it'll always be the major criticism levelled at the Uncharted series. Combat has to be in there to keep the gun-happy yanks from going nuts, but I'd love to play an Uncharted game that had it wholly removed in favour of melee only or at least something a little less COD-like
#42 at 11:31:16 - 14/11/2011
nekotcha
Flag
Star Rating
Silver Medal
I agree the combat has always been fairly divisive, but I do stand by my statement that it is more annoying here than it has ever been before. Despite the neat animations and some excellent effects one of the things I find surprising about the combat is that it's surprisingly joyless - there's not a lot of opportunities to do 'cool stuff', and instead the best approach always seems to be one of attrition (i.e. hang back, whittle away the enemy health rather than anything more spectacular).

I also think that increasingly, Naughty Dog are dispensing with the exploration/puzzle solving sections in favour of more controlled action sequences.

For instance - consider both the Chateau escape and the escape from the boat, as featured in the E3 demo. Both are fantastic ideas for exciting, unique scenarios, but how much better would they have been if they had been slower paced, and more drawn out, with the player forced to work out their escape route by exploring and solving puzzles? Instead, both sequences are driven by highly scripted events and with regular button prompts. They're spectacular to look at, sure, but not particularly challenging to play. Seems a shame to me.

But I'm going to persist with it - at least until Zelda comes out. :)
#43 at 11:55:23 - 14/11/2011
peej
Flag
Star Rating
Gold Medal
I thought the Chateau escape could've been one of the greatest sequences in the game - if it wasn't for the constant interruption of combat (again).

I think the combat was worse in Uncharted 3 than in previous versions, with the exception of a bit less push-spawning going on (if there was any previously - it often felt like you had to get to a certain place in order to progress through a combat bit). Perhaps they wanted to encourage people to dive into the multiplayer to hone their combat skills in the SP campaign (me, I've not touched the multiplayer bit of Uncharted 3 and I doubt I ever will).

I have medium to low hopes that the new Tomb Raider game will redress the exploration / survival / combat balance. From what I've seen of the concept art and some of the descriptions of gameplay, one of the first things you end up doing as the young lara is fighting off mysterious chumps on the island you're stranded on. Great.
#44 at 12:02:34 - 14/11/2011

home
Left